Waterboy

Re: Pioneer Valley Conf 2015/2016

Post by sbam »

1. Caldwell

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Congrats to Caldwell on the league title.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Pretty amusing tho that Fort is down and still is going to 15-17 games out of 22. Most schools would kill for a season like that.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Fort Frye won PVC in 99, 00, 02,03,04, 06,07,08,09,11,12,13,14,and 15

Bazinga!
Riding the Bench

Post by Bazinga! »

EasternDspy wrote:Fort Frye won PVC in 99, 00, 02,03,04, 06,07,08,09,11,12,13,14,and 15

So all those PVC titles and no District Championships? Again I'm not saying that they should win state every year but a few of those years if you won your league you should have more success in the tournament. Unless your league was just really bad which some years was probably the case here. This is absolute DOMINANCE over the course of a decade. How can they do that against PVC opponents and struggle to get through the sectional? This isn't just a fluke season. This is a strong trend.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

They won districts in 06,99, and 96

Bazinga!
Riding the Bench

Post by Bazinga! »

EasternDspy wrote:Fort Frye won PVC in 99, 00, 02,03,04, 06,07,08,09,11,12,13,14,and 15
So 14 PVC titles in 17 yrs and 2 District titles? I guess you made my point. But the question remains unanswered....... Why the struggles in the tournament since 99? They've definitely had endless amounts of talent on a regular basis. Anyways maybe this year will be the year.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

How many titles does Warren have?

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Every year, the greatest experts in college basketball get together and rank the top teams in the country and put them in a tournament and the everybody in the country tries to figure out who's going to win every game, and nobody ever does.That's because, in a single elimination format, it's very hard to predict and "better" teams get upset all the time. In high school, the poor teams are usually gone in the first round, so you still have to beat 3-4 good teams to get out of the district. You have to be playing well and get some good luck with matchups and some favorable bounces along the way.

I am looking forward to your companion topic: Why does Martins Ferry, with as much talent as anyone else in the district, seem to limp into the district tournament every year with barely a .500 record? Can't they get their game together before February?

But, of course, Fort Frye is the team inside your head, so I wont' hold my breath while I wait for you to start that discussion.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Its way harder to make it to regionals in the East normally you have to out last 16-18 teams for 1 spot unlike in the Southeast who normally always gets 2 sometimes 3 regional spots for 24 teams.

Bazinga!
Riding the Bench

Post by Bazinga! »

I agree with the premise that you make using the college basketball reference. Very seldomly do all the top seeds make the final 4. But very seldomly do they lose the first game or two. And if many of those years FF had a .500 record this wouldn't be a conversion. They would be like most other varsity teams. But it just seems like they litterally win 15 or more games every year. With that kind of reg season dominance I think everyone would agree that those teams should have good tournament runs. Not EVERY year but more so than not. I'm not familiar with MF or they're yearly talent but if you consistently have a .500 record I would say expectations wouldn't be as high as a team with 15-17 wins. Does the PVC just not prepare teams for tournament as well as some of the other leagues in the East District?

Bazinga!
Riding the Bench

Post by Bazinga! »

EasternDspy wrote:How many titles does Warren have?

You raise a good question. I have no clue but I can't imagine Warren has nearly as many league titles in the past 15 years or so. I can't think of any school who would have that kind of dominance in their league. But Warren must have at least a few District titles in there.

Are there teams out there who rarely win their league but seem to consistently have unexpected good tourney runs? Seem to get better later in the year than early?

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Every year is different, so it's hard to pin it down, which probably makes it good discussion board fodder. Under Liedtke, Fort Frye usually seemed to hit their peak early in the season and plateau by Mid-January. Coach Henniger has a different system and it's too early to generalize. The team that knocked them out last season was in The PVC and Fort Frye had already beaten them twice. They had pretty similar schedules, so I doubt you could chalk it up to that.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Bazinga! wrote:
EasternDspy wrote:How many titles does Warren have?

You raise a good question. I have no clue but I can't imagine Warren has nearly as many league titles in the past 15 years or so. I can't think of any school who would have that kind of dominance in their league. But Warren must have at least a few District titles in there.

Are there teams out there who rarely win their league but seem to consistently have unexpected good tourney runs? Seem to get better later in the year than early?
The year Warren went to state was also their first ever District title.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

That's my point Warren has been one of the best programs in the area and they don't win districts every year.

Bazinga!
Riding the Bench

Post by Bazinga! »

Listen no one ever said every year. I know regional runs are few and far between but Warren also doesn't avg 15-18 wins every year like FF. they've had good years and bad. A bad year for FF is 14 wins. you have to admit that considering the number of wins in the regular season since 99 it's under achieving. I mean Waterford has as many District Titles since 99 as FF! You're telling me that they've had the same level of talent over the last 15 years as FF has? Come on.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

One of y'all needs to do the research and show who FF lost to each year in the tourney and how that team ended up doing.

In general, teams from Washington County and probably the immediate surrounding counties aren't going to measure success by a State or even Regional tourney appearance. Those are extraordinary seasons and a bonus but not expected. Off the top of my head, Belpre had 3 State runs and I'm not sure if they made any other Regionals. Waterford has been to 2 Regionals ever. I remember what was probably Frontier's best team ever losing to River in a District final (?). I don't know that Marietta has been to a Regional in my lifetime.

Heck, Athens had what seemed like an all-world team in the last few years but Warren just had their number (and those teams happened to be in the same Sectional).

Bazinga!
Riding the Bench

Post by Bazinga! »

Agree to disagree boys. Forget regional runs. Sectional titles? District final appearances? Gauging success in regular season wins and having NO impact in the tournament year after year after year is not success. I'd be satisfied with a win or two In The tournaments but apparently I'm one of the few. I don't think FF or anyone else should be at state every year but bowing out consistently in Sectionals in no good. Again this has to speak to playing in a weak PVC conference that doesn't prepare a team for tournament play the way the other East District leagues do

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Yeah, what are the numbers as far as Sectionals? I remember a few upsets here and there, but Sectionals are just about automatic for most good teams. I'd be interested to know how many times they lost to a lower seed. I mean, 15 wins sounds like a lot, but if there are 6 teams in a Sectional with at least that many, it is no longer automatic for anyone.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

From 06-08 the Cadets made districts every year winning in 06. In 2006 they beat the number 1 team in the state 25-0 Bellaire lead by 3 time all stater Nate Davis. In 07 in district semi they beat state ranked Garaway and Tyler Gerber. In 07 and 08 they lost to Tusky Valley in district finals and district semi. In 2003 the Cadets were number 2 and 24-0 and lost 37-32 to #1 Garaway. Garaway would go on to lose in the state finals. In 2006 regional they lost to a state runner up in Ironton. They have had nice tourney runs over the years. In 09 that team was special going (20-2) but lost in sectional final to Trail. In 2012 they made it to districts and lost to Garaway a game they probably should of won. In 2014 They also lost to Garaway in a good game at districts. It's not like they've had no tourney success at all.

Return to “Boys Basketball”