2015 2016 Logan Basketball

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: 2015 2016 Logan Basketball

Post by pfloyd »

26 days to get ready for opening night vs Unioto …

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Saw Logan practice for a few mins Saturday. They have some big kids and some solid wings and guards. Lane Little will be the general but there is some young talent as well. Smith, Henthorne add solid size and I like the intensity I saw in the short time I watched. There is a great "Team" attitude being set and I like the possible depth.

Live Like A Champion!
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

They have some nice pieces coming back and then you add in Coach Kellough and they shouldn't miss a beat at all. I'm glad that if they were set on replacing Coach Helber, that they did it with another very good coach.

That is a very good and challenging schedule, it should definitely have the Chieftains ready for the D1 tournament.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Looks like a tough schedule for the Chiefs. Love how this senior class competes. Add in some great youth and its easy to get excited.

Hope to try and make it to DeSales or St. Charles in December.

Go Chiefs!

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Scrimmages coming up for Logan almost immediately:

11/7 vs Ironton
11/13 @ Waverly
11/14 @ New Albany
11/21 @ Circleville
11/24 vs Logan Elm

Pretty tough scrimmage schedule right there.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Scrimmage Saturday will be three teams per Coach K. Ironton and Not sure the third team; he told me but I am old and forget. Maybe Meigs Eastern? Thats a guess

Live Like A Champion!
moonshine
SEO

Post by moonshine »

To be the best play the best!

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

moonshine wrote:To be the best play the best!
And that's how I've hear Coach Kellough goes about it!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

What times do these scrimmages start ?

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

pfloyd wrote:What times do these scrimmages start ?

vs Ironton @ 10am
@ Waverly @ 5:30pm
@ New Albany @ 10am
@ Circleville @ 9am
vs Logan Elm @ 6pm

I'm not sure who the other team they are scrimmaging this Saturday is LG

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Gotcha Chieftain2009 - thanks !

Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

Have not met the new coach but have heard good things . Team unity will be a plus and hard nose defense will be fun to watch.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Logan will scrimmage Pike Eastern Saturday (I knew it had an Eastern in it) and not Ironton as their football team (and some basketball players I assume) are in the playoffs.

Live Like A Champion!
javagt
Varsity

Post by javagt »

Coach Kellough will give Logan a complete different look than years past. Expect to see good things out of his program.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Watched my Logan Purple under Coach Kellough scrimmage vs Coach Barrick's Eastern Pike squad this morning … both teams are in good hands with their respective coaches running the show … I watched 2 mentors who have 814 high school coaching "Ws" under their belts … Coach Kellough and Coach Barrick were "teaching" both players and assistant coaches the game of hoops today - as a cheap seat guy THIS is what scrimmages are all about - teaching the game …

… it is so early in the campaign I paid little attention on the offensive end of the floor … I looked at defensive effort/fundamentals … where do these teams stand and where did it look like they were going under new leadership … it is all upside for both teams … Eastern Pike lacks size - although they are "strong" across the board … they play hard, will put a body on you … Coach Barrick worked hard on getting "bodies" on the floor , in the positions they needed to be on the floor at both ends of the floor … I saw lots of talented athletes on the Eastern side of the court - looking forward to seeing EHS live when the season opens … The Logan Purple has many many positives … Lane Little (PG) may be the quickest/playmaker guard I will see ALL season … Isaiah Smith (6-3) is pure and simple an athlete … he was a stud on the football field/ he will be outstanding this season on the court at both ends … Kory Henthorne (6-5) post player … has to fill the roll of "big man in the middle" under Coach Kellough , KH will have a great season in the paint … big/strong and can shoot the FT , more importantly he is very coachable … Sam Evans at 6-4 is a question mark - he CAN BE a difference maker if he buys into the program, Evans is long, has basketball talent can be a major help on the boards at both ends … 5th starter will come from the newcomers in my mind - Bo Meyers or Kalib(?) Bell both talented freshmen … Bell is a solid defensive player/ has length / can shoot the 3 ball consistently … add to the mix Kayden Landis (6-3) soph, soph guard Bradie Walsh , senior backup point man Cole Baron quick/strong/100% in your face at both ends … senior Chase Walter (6-4) will spell Henthorne in the paint …

… this group of Purple is the deepest squad for many years …

… Coach K, is preaching defense, teaching defense, instructing on the "true" fundamentals of playing D … keeping players "in play", hustling with a purpose - not taking themselves out of the play by overplaying … getting everyone to be in position to hit the boards, getting a body on people, getting players to stop using their hands, moving their feet - I know ALL of these are basics BUT if you have athletes YOU as the coach can improve TEAM the most by making sure these athletes know/use the fundamentals … games are won by doing ALL of the little things better than your opponent … offensively - not giving up your dribble, stop the "as soon as you get the ball put it on the floor - pass it ! … get in the triple threat position (basics) … square up to the basket … can't make a play with your back to the basket … bigs inside - getting under control before going up strong … seems simple enough BUT youngsters want to get the ball out of their hands and up too soon - ending up with an unbalanced shot in the paint/when you get the ball inside TEAM needs to score or get to the line … one of the areas I see as one that Coach K will work on is "feeding the post" … seems easy BUT there is a skill in getting the ball into the paint, to your BIGS in a position so that your BIGS can be effective with the ball - score /fouled or both … Coach Kellough expects fundamentals out of EVERY player on the court - from the seniors on down … best player on down the line … no one gets a free pass … do it Coach Kellough's way or you won't be doing it … THIS is discipline … THIS is how you create an atmosphere of respect for TEAM, coaches, officials etc.

… Coach K does it the way I personally like to see it done … DEFENSE , DEFENSE and more DEFENSE …the Chiefs will pressure the opposition for 32 minutes … teams better be in shape playing the Purple as there will not be much drop off in the pressure when subs enter … fans will like the product on the court this season … FUNDAMENTALS at both ends BY EVERY PLAYER ON THE COURT - if you are the best player on the court YOU will be as fundamentally sound as anyone - in the end THAT alone makes THIS team better top to bottom - I like it ! … it's how you make the best athletes even better … it's how you make TEAM the best it can be … your athletes are always going to make "the plays" on the court that people aren't supposed to make - as a coach you count on that - we're talking about 2-3 plays like that a game BUT as a coach in order to be a "good team" you have to count on solid fundamentals out of EVERY player on EVERY play …the pay off is "Ws" …

… I'm excited about this season for the Purple !!! looking forward to seeing the improvement from today to my next "eye test" of the Purple in the scrimmage season … Best of luck to Coach Barrick & Eastern Pike , I will see EHS down the road I'm sure …

Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

FLoyd -

Thanks for the early run down. Love reading your take on the Chiefs. Makes me feel like I was there!

Go Chiefs!

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Logan will play Sidney in the first game and the winner of DeSales and Lakota East in the second game of their holiday event

Live Like A Champion!
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Any word on tonight's scrimmage at Waverly with both the Waverly Tigers and the Portsmouth Trojans ???

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Anything on today's Logan scrimmage vs New Albany/Groveport ????????

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

not much talking

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us

Return to “Boys Basketball”