Games on Saturday 2/13

baseball16
All State

Re: Games on Saturday 2/13

Post by baseball16 »

WonderNova wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:09 pm Hold on everyone! I didnt mean to imply he had COVID. It just said he was sick. I am guessing since they were looking at possible Thursday reschedule, COVID wasnt the issue. Coach Beucler will not put the kids at risk unnecessarily. All i know is what was relayed on the reason for postponement.

Sadly , when anyone sneezes, coughs, or doesn't feel well it's automatically considered Covid! That is where we live now. The Flu has practically vanished!
There really is no END Game to all the Madness.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

WonderNova wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:09 pm Hold on everyone! I didnt mean to imply he had COVID. It just said he was sick. I am guessing since they were looking at possible Thursday reschedule, COVID wasnt the issue. Coach Beucler will not put the kids at risk unnecessarily. All i know is what was relayed on the reason for postponement.
If someone is sick folks are naturally going to be hesitant about playing a throwaway non-league game before the tournament in case it could be Covid-19. Caution is warranted.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

bman wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:14 pm
If someone is sick folks are naturally going to be hesitant about playing a throwaway non-league game before the tournament in case it could be Covid-19. Caution is warranted.
So what about next year? will it be the Same? Someone gets sick will teams still be quarantined? This virus is not going away, it will have variants and people will get sick and possibly die. it's not disappearing. We must learn to LIVE with the Virus and allow people to choose how they want to live! JMO

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

The Ironton St.Joe at New Boston Glenwood game scheduled for this evening, has been postponed. No makeup date yet.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

baseball16 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:28 pm
So what about next year? will it be the Same? Someone gets sick will teams still be quarantined? This virus is not going away, it will have variants and people will get sick and possibly die. it's not disappearing. We must learn to LIVE with the Virus and allow people to choose how they want to live! JMO
COVID-19 will become mild over the course of the year (it already has compared to the spring) and people will be vaccinated.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

It’s only a matter of a few more months before everyone interested in getting vaccinated will have gotten one in their arms.

Stopping the spread, being vigilant and mindful of activity that puts one at directly higher risk of contracting COVID-19 is still important in the meantime. Also, schools were mindful of student safety when it came to contagion before the COVID saga. Why would they stop, now? To play a 22nd basketball game?

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:37 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:23 pm
Norman Knight wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:00 pm

I92-I am guessing that it would not be Covid related in this case since Thursday would be ok to play and WCH played last night.

Barlowbandit-I guess everybody is running a risk playing this close to tournament, whether it be league or non-league games. The first round of DIII sectionals is 2/22. Games last night were played 2/12. If we add 14 days (typical quarantine) to the 12th, then that makes it 2/26 which is when the sectional finals are for DIII. So if any of the teams were to get quarantined, then I guess that would be their tournament as well (with a few exceptions). To answer your questions as to why would EB play this game at all, they might be playing WCH because they were on the schedule and they agreed to play them. I believe Waverly and Adena were trying to get a game for Tuesday night. That would be a non-league game as well.
Around the state people are playing league games only, which they have too. Hey, schools can do what they want, but they are playing with fire.
If the fire was that dangerous why is OHSAA or the governor allowing league games to be played?
there are many, who are not taking the chance of playing a game they do not need to play before the tournament because one case could totally eliminate you. It happened in the fall, it will happen again. And it’s not about wether you believe in the virus, but the rules are pretty clear.
Last edited by thebarlowbandit on Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

bman wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:43 pm

COVID-19 will become mild over the course of the year (it already has compared to the spring) and people will be vaccinated.
January was our worse month yet! Far worse than spring.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:45 pm

It’s only a matter of a few more months before everyone interested in getting vaccinated will have gotten one in their arms.

Stopping the spread, being vigilant and mindful of activity that puts one at directly higher risk of contracting COVID-19 is still important in the meantime. Also, schools were mindful of student safety when it came to contagion before the COVID saga. Why would they stop, now? To play a 22nd basketball game?
Here’s what I’ve seen. I’m associated with 2 schools about 75 miles apart. One has been as careful, clean and safe and taken so many extra precautions and spent a ton of money in doing so....the other is of course taking the precautions pretty well set by the state and adhered to them. One has arguably the strictest gym rules for ballgames and the other is more lax. One school barely has any subs and other school has ample. One school has a small gym that allows opposing cheerleaders and homecoming ceremony, other is having none of that, no suckers. One sits players 6 feet apart and one shoulder to shoulder on the bench.

Both adhering to the rules put into place but differing ends of that spectrum. One school had been remote but only for 6 days as a bus driver tested positive snd quarantined the other bus drivers and weren’t able to get kids to school, other than that nothing, no one missing anything...the other hasn’t missed a single day of school...impressive but basketball team has been quarantined 2 separate times and my own kid has been quarantined 4x.

Were the schools doing virtual the smart ones? Were they they dumb ones? Who is right and what is right and wrong about all of this? It’s bonkers. The mental effects on these kids are real. Watching your team play a game via livestream because you aren’t allowed to be there with your team because a player that later tested positive got in the final minute of a game and his elbow touched your jersey and your arm grazed his arm....that’s hard for a kid that follows ALL guidelines to swallow.

Last year Fairland didn’t get to end their season because we didn’t know anything about this virus.....a year later teams will have to send JV players to play in the districts and we have so much more knowledge, hell half of the US knows everything about everything, I don’t see why we just can’t ask them what to do for certain.

I’ve yet to notice anything being lax causing anything more with this virus.

Let’s drag our heels some more on getting this vaccine out there.

In the grand scheme of things how do league games matter more than non league?

Screw the Convo...let’s hold districts at Walmart, zero spread there. Regionals at Kroger and State games...nah, cancel them bad boys as 20x more people are infected daily than when shut down last year.

22nd game? Why’d they risk 12...or even 2?

I’m going to go buy some toilet paper.
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:31 pm
bman wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:43 pm

January was our worse month yet! Far worse than spring.
I'm talking about the rate of hospitalizations and deaths to overall cases. It was far worse in the spring. If we had that rate now, the hospital system would have been completely overwhelmed.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

The Peake. 44
South Point. 70
I think SP hit 70% of their shot a lot of 3s over 10.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:36 pm

Here’s what I’ve seen. I’m associated with 2 schools about 75 miles apart. One has been as careful, clean and safe and taken so many extra precautions and spent a ton of money in doing so....the other is of course taking the precautions pretty well set by the state and adhered to them. One has arguably the strictest gym rules for ballgames and the other is more lax. One school barely has any subs and other school has ample. One school has a small gym that allows opposing cheerleaders and homecoming ceremony, other is having none of that, no suckers. One sits players 6 feet apart and one shoulder to shoulder on the bench.

Both adhering to the rules put into place but differing ends of that spectrum. One school had been remote but only for 6 days as a bus driver tested positive snd quarantined the other bus drivers and weren’t able to get kids to school, other than that nothing, no one missing anything...the other hasn’t missed a single day of school...impressive but basketball team has been quarantined 2 separate times and my own kid has been quarantined 4x.

Were the schools doing virtual the smart ones? Were they they dumb ones? Who is right and what is right and wrong about all of this? It’s bonkers. The mental effects on these kids are real. Watching your team play a game via livestream because you aren’t allowed to be there with your team because a player that later tested positive got in the final minute of a game and his elbow touched your jersey and your arm grazed his arm....that’s hard for a kid that follows ALL guidelines to swallow.
These are definitely understandable frustrations.

Unfortunately, this is one side of the double-edged sword that comes with having these procedures being decided at the local level (school district, county health department): you get differences and discrepancies on the subjective definition of "best practice", ultimately leading to different outcomes when it comes to who gets quarantined, for how long, whose allowed to do travel with whom etc. As you note, you could do a 90 minute drive from Jackson any direction and you'd be encountering districts and locales that have their own interpretations and practices.

Is there a better way of doing these things? Well, there certainly are different ways of doing these. Like, if there were more common standards on quarantining/travelling that came down from Columbus -- a "one-size fits all" approach. Not sure if that really constitutes "better", though. Would it make more sense for Jackson, Fairfield Local, Lancaster, Hillard, Canton City, Bexley and Southern Perry (Miller) to all be following same procedures on quarantine/traveling/attendance? Going a step further -- remote learning versus hybrid versus full-time?

I suppose a second alternative would have been for to be absolutely no protocols or guidance from the Gov and the Ohio Department of Health... leaving it up entirely to the schools if they wanted to quarantine if a known exposure or positive arose, to listen to their local health department (or not.) Even going further: leaving it up to the schools if they wanted to mandate masks and 15% capacity for attendance/or instead let everyone sit ass-to-ass in a packed gym with the choice to wear a mask (or not.) Or somewhere in between.

It's hard to thread needles. If there was a magic bullet that could make the season more 'normal' while balancing the interest of public health, I'm sure every administrator would go for it.
Last year Fairland didn’t get to end their season because we didn’t know anything about this virus.....a year later teams will have to send JV players to play in the districts and we have so much more knowledge, hell half of the US knows everything about everything, I don’t see why we just can’t ask them what to do for certain.
There is, or was, an opinion that it was a bad idea to start a winter sports season for the '20-21 school year. Same with fall sports. Obviously it didn't gravitate beyond the individual districts, in the end, but at least OHSAA and the governor's office has done what they can to give the kids a chance to play. Even if it is riddled with imperfection and policies whose aims are not apparent at times.
What about the general laxness of the population and their activities? See: 7-day averages in Ohio case counts from the middle of November through the middle of January -- a time period with a very close association to congregate activities, like holiday celebrations, being held inside and typically with the mixing of different households, en masse. Compare that ~2 month window to any point in the summer for the same time-frame.
It's low supply versus high demand, with increases in the supply coming soon, factored also by a very poor distribution infrastructure in the infancy of the COVID-vaccination saga.
Something to ask the leagues.
Screw the Convo...let’s hold districts at Walmart, zero spread there. Regionals at Kroger and State games...nah, cancel them bad boys as 20x more people are infected daily than when shut down last year.
I like the Convo -- the experience, the atmosphere and symbolism. I think everyone here does, just like its understood why there aren't going to be districts held there. Postseason games being played would be a success to anyone that wanted a season, right?

State games will be played somewhere.
I'm not following this. Whether the "extra" game, such as an impromptu scheduling, before the tournament is the 22nd or 21st (or whatever integer) game for a given team isn't the discussion. If its a game that could otherwise be done without, then its a game that could be done without. But that's of course for the coaches and athletic department to decide. To the point bman and barlowbandit were making: there is the fact that playing another game could put you into quarantining problems right before the game. It's not an absolute. It's not an automatic. It's just a matter of risk.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:34 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:36 pm

These are definitely understandable frustrations.

Unfortunately, this is one side of the double-edged sword that comes with having these procedures being decided at the local level (school district, county health department): you get differences and discrepancies on the subjective definition of "best practice", ultimately leading to different outcomes when it comes to who gets quarantined, for how long, whose allowed to do travel with whom etc. As you note, you could do a 90 minute drive from Jackson any direction and you'd be encountering districts and locales that have their own interpretations and practices.

Is there a better way of doing these things? Well, there certainly are different ways of doing these. Like, if there were more common standards on quarantining/travelling that came down from Columbus -- a "one-size fits all" approach. Not sure if that really constitutes "better", though. Would it make more sense for Jackson, Fairfield Local, Lancaster, Hillard, Canton City, Bexley and Southern Perry (Miller) to all be following same procedures on quarantine/traveling/attendance? Going a step further -- remote learning versus hybrid versus full-time?

I suppose a second alternative would have been for to be absolutely no protocols or guidance from the Gov and the Ohio Department of Health... leaving it up entirely to the schools if they wanted to quarantine if a known exposure or positive arose, to listen to their local health department (or not.) Even going further: leaving it up to the schools if they wanted to mandate masks and 15% capacity for attendance/or instead let everyone sit ass-to-ass in a packed gym with the choice to wear a mask (or not.) Or somewhere in between.

It's hard to thread needles. If there was a magic bullet that could make the season more 'normal' while balancing the interest of public health, I'm sure every administrator would go for it.
There is, or was, an opinion that it was a bad idea to start a winter sports season for the '20-21 school year. Same with fall sports. Obviously it didn't gravitate beyond the individual districts, in the end, but at least OHSAA and the governor's office has done what they can to give the kids a chance to play. Even if it is riddled with imperfection and policies whose aims are not apparent at times.
What about the general laxness of the population and their activities? See: 7-day averages in Ohio case counts from the middle of November through the middle of January -- a time period with a very close association to congregate activities, like holiday celebrations, being held inside and typically with the mixing of different households, en masse. Compare that ~2 month window to any point in the summer for the same time-frame.
It's low supply versus high demand, with increases in the supply coming soon, factored also by a very poor distribution infrastructure in the infancy of the COVID-vaccination saga.
Something to ask the leagues.
I like the Convo -- the experience, the atmosphere and symbolism. I think everyone here does, just like its understood why there aren't going to be districts held there. Postseason games being played would be a success to anyone that wanted a season, right?

State games will be played somewhere.
I'm not following this. Whether the "extra" game, such as an impromptu scheduling, before the tournament is the 22nd or 21st (or whatever integer) game for a given team isn't the discussion. If its a game that could otherwise be done without, then its a game that could be done without. But that's of course for the coaches and athletic department to decide. To the point bman and barlowbandit were making: there is the fact that playing another game could put you into quarantining problems right before the game. It's not an absolute. It's not an automatic. It's just a matter of risk.
To be clear I have no issue in this with the OHSAA or school administrators or anyone associated with the Convo.

I think you do understand the last point. This is all being done to save deaths from occurring. It was last March and still is. Decision being made because might get quarantined for a tournament? That’s minor. It has to be or we wouldn’t be quarantining for so much. Game 2 provides the same risks as game 12 or game 22.

Ohio isn’t doing well with getting the vaccine out....we seem to be one of the safest states from the top...why aren’t we getting it out better? That Governor in WV was the laughing stock 8 months ago and now they are help show the way in getting these vaccines applied.

Guess I should be more patient. Happy my team has gotten in 16 games.

I still would love some numbers on teams gettin quarantined from other teams and how that spread has been.

The middle of November through mid January...numbers were crazy high....but we kept playing and having school in the SE District...are we just dumb? Are those numbers going down some now? (I don’t know because they were pushed in my face in every form of social media and news despite me not looking fo it....haven’t seen numbers in a good while? Is Ohio doing better or not? For months we watched numbers under 700 a day and then it jumped to the 1300’s a day.....then died all back down but then got up into the 5000 a day, 7000 a day but since I haven’t seen a number. I don’t know if yesterday Ohio had 6000 new cases or 350, no clue?

I’m ready for my vaccine I know. Maybe in a few weeks.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Big margin for South Point

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Ironman92
We came out flat. They jumped on us early.
SP was hitting on all cylinders.
We still missing two starters, may have one back for Coal Grove and Sectional.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

peake71 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:28 pm Ironman92
... really missing Bellomy in the paint as well as Grim with what he brings at both ends of the court ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

peake71 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:28 pm Ironman92
It’s been a tough season for the Peake....still a chance though in the tourney. Good Luck

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Westfall 50
Southeastern 48

Final

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:52 pm Westfall 50
Southeastern 48

Final
Tight

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Thanks Ironman92.
One thing our underclassmen are getting alot of playing time.

Return to “Boys Basketball”