Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #2

Post by mattash »

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

mlittle wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:13 pm Warren’s 2 wins must have been good ones and the losses to really good teams. Hard to make the argument that a team in the top 10 is there because the coaches are good or because you’re giving them time to figure things out. Move them down already and if they do figure it out move them back up. 🤷‍♂️
Totally agree. Lost to a 3-1 injury decimated Waverly team who isn’t even in the top 20. I understand Waverly not being higher (maybe) but to put the current Warren team so high especially with the loss to Waverly (head to head and better record) makes little sense. Make Warren prove it on the court. At 2-3 they haven’t done it yet. Waverly with a better record and win over them should be higher than them at this point. That could very well change as the season goes on but we are where we are at this point.

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

I wouldn’t have teams with losing records in the top 25 but that’s just me. Drop them and if they are as good as we think they move back up. Other than that it’s hard to argue with the rankings. Well done!

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

What I like about Pfloyds rankings, its a consistent who he thinks is the best team.

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

safe to say this will be Wahama's last year in the rankings?

Michael Scott
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

smurray wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:55 pm
mlittle wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:13 pm Warren’s 2 wins must have been good ones and the losses to really good teams. Hard to make the argument that a team in the top 10 is there because the coaches are good or because you’re giving them time to figure things out. Move them down already and if they do figure it out move them back up. 🤷‍♂️
Totally agree. Lost to a 3-1 injury decimated Waverly team who isn’t even in the top 20. I understand Waverly not being higher (maybe) but to put the current Warren team so high especially with the loss to Waverly (head to head and better record) makes little sense. Make Warren prove it on the court. At 2-3 they haven’t done it yet. Waverly with a better record and win over them should be higher than them at this point. That could very well change as the season goes on but we are where we are at this point.
Agree. College football rankings wouldn’t have a 2-3 team in the top 50 just because of potential. We are 5-7 games deep now for most teams save Burg and Ironton.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

mattash wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:09 pm safe to say this will be Wahama's last year in the rankings?

Gettin the post count up tonight eh Matt?

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

I think it’s time we have the purple hippo holiday shootout. Most teams have down time over the break. 4-5 games that Pfloyd picks from the previous years rankings. Make it a charity event say held at the convo? Alexander used to do one at the convo. I bet we could have some big crowds and make it a great event.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I'd have Logan Elm around 15. Team has a fair amount of potential, but there are some height issues and they are 3-2. Wins over Court House, Westfall and Bexley aren't overly strong. Losses are to two pretty good teams, but nonetheless losses.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth is 1-3......beat Piketon 65-52, lost @South Point 82-75 in OT, lost to Huntington St.Joe 71-66, then lost big to Chesapeake 80-36 last Friday. Chesapeake is better no doubt, but playing 3 games in 4 days really hurt the Trojans. Still, they shouldn't have lost by 44 points.

I think Chesapeake deserves to be higher than #15. I know it's still early, but the Panthers are a very good, well rounded basketball team.

We are hosting Fairland on Tuesday, and we had better improve in a hurry. What I'm interested is seeing is how our players respond after last Friday's meltdown against the Peake.

I wish I could be more optimistic about the season, but we're already 0-2 in the OVC with Fairland coming to town. A home game with West on Saturday (West only lost @Burg by 4), a trip to Florida for 3 games Dec.27-30, and then 3 straight OVC games on the road to start January (Rock Hill, Gallia Academy, and Ironton). Not feeling real good about my Trojans right now.

I might cover my eyes when the rankings come out in mid-January.

Still, GO TROJANS!!

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

No offense to Jackson but I’m having a hard time gauging how good they are at the moment. McClain, Hillsboro, Miami Trace all seem to be pretty down and Sissonville would lose to all of them badly. I’m hoping this stretch coming up with Unioto, Chilly, Burg, and Minford gives me a better idea of where they stand this year.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

3sUp wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:05 pm No offense to Jackson but I’m having a hard time gauging how good they are at the moment. McClain, Hillsboro, Miami Trace all seem to be pretty down and Sissonville would lose to all of them badly. I’m hoping this stretch coming up with Unioto, Chilly, Burg, and Minford gives me a better idea of where they stand this year.
If Jackson beats Unioto they should move up a spot. If Unioto wins we should take their spot.

Unioto has a 4 game stretch coming after the PV game where we play ZT, Jackson, FU, and Adena.
Last edited by mlittle on Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

3sUp wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:05 pm No offense to Jackson but I’m having a hard time gauging how good they are at the moment. McClain, Hillsboro, Miami Trace all seem to be pretty down and Sissonville would lose to all of them badly. I’m hoping this stretch coming up with Unioto, Chilly, Burg, and Minford gives me a better idea of where they stand this year.
If Jackson goes 2-2 (I’m thinking 1-3) in those four games I’ll be really surprised. Everyone knows that Wallis is the guy that makes them go but I’m not sold on this Jackson team from watching a few scrimmages. Any team with a decent big will give them fits. I watched them scrimmage Oak Hill and Hammond has his way with them. I know he’s a lot to handle but Jackson losing the big kid really hurt them in my opinion. Might be stating the obvious but there ya are.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

SOC94 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:44 pm
If Jackson goes 2-2 (I’m thinking 1-3) in those four games I’ll be really surprised. Everyone knows that Wallis is the guy that makes them go but I’m not sold on this Jackson team from watching a few scrimmages. Any team with a decent big will give them fits. I watched them scrimmage Oak Hill and Hammond has his way with them. I know he’s a lot to handle but Jackson losing the big kid really hurt them in my opinion. Might be stating the obvious but there ya are.
Decent big will give them fits....that’s not accurate. North Adams had 6’5 McCorkle and Miami Trace had a 6’5, 6’6 and a 6’7 and 2 were in at all times. The 6’6 kid pretty skilled. We won those games just fine. Waverly has a good 6’5 and 6’4 and MT beat them by 9.

Jackson tied Fairfield Union in scrimmage and FU is big across the board. Beat Bloom Carrol who has a real good big kid.

Scrimmages are just that. Hammond is very good. A decent big isn’t going to beat Jackson though in a game.

Stinks OH and Jackson couldn’t have played at Rio instead of the opponents they faced.

Jackson struggled to win at Hillsboro. Hillsboro lost by 60 at Eastern Brown and Hillsboro doesn’t even have a big...but made 10 or 11 3’s and man they were inspired.

Jackson hasn’t played a tough schedule thus far and our style often doesn’t win by the margin many expect. Jackson has holes like every team does....also have a couple key players returning soon.

I’ll be surprised if they go 1-3 in that tougher stretch

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:54 pm
Decent big will give them fits....that’s not accurate. North Adams had 6’5 McCorkle and Miami Trace had a 6’5, 6’6 and a 6’7 and 2 were in at all times. The 6’6 kid pretty skilled. We won those games just fine. Waverly has a good 6’5 and 6’4 and MT beat them by 9.

Jackson tied Fairfield Union in scrimmage and FU is big across the board. Beat Bloom Carrol who has a real good big kid.

Scrimmages are just that. Hammond is very good. A decent big isn’t going to beat Jackson though in a game.

Stinks OH and Jackson couldn’t have played at Rio instead of the opponents they faced.

Jackson struggled to win at Hillsboro. Hillsboro lost by 60 at Eastern Brown and Hillsboro doesn’t even have a big...but made 10 or 11 3’s and man they were inspired.

Jackson hasn’t played a tough schedule thus far and our style often doesn’t win by the margin many expect. Jackson has holes like every team does....also have a couple key players returning soon.

I think Jackson beats Burg and Minford, loses to Chilli and the U is a toss up. I think 2-2 through that stretch possibly 3-1 if they get lucky against Unioto.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

That’s fair. MT is better than last year and a strange match up. Their guards aren’t great but they have a legitimate 6’5, 6’6 and 6’7 kid and 2 are in at all times. They blocked us 325x that game. Soon after they beat Waverly by 9 and Waverly has an elite scoring guard and a good 6’5 and 6’4. MT isn’t bad.

Hillsboro? What can I say. They upset us there last year and nearly did it again. I tip my cap to them and happy to escape unscathed.

North Adams played us well and we won by 11....similar to how they played Minford. I believe the kid that had 15 against us was pulled from Minford game and wasn’t put back in....he was a solid player. They just smacked Peebles by 18. North Adams is pretty good....Minford is as well it seems.

Oak Hill has to hit a 3 to send game to OT vs Minford, Minford seems to have a pretty high potential.

Chillicothe...then @Unioto and then Burg the next night and then Minford who gave us a good game last season.

We are upsettable and good teams playing well can get us. We return 6’2 Jacob Winters in a couple weeks and 6’1 Evan Spires hopefully the first of the year. I suspect by Feb 1 we’ll be quite good and tourney ready.

Wallis cannot be understated. He’s going 23.6 ppg and is an elite player in the district. Hammond a 6’3 junior goes 10 ppg and great defender (as is Wallis)...senior Caden Donaldson 6’2 goes 6-8 ppg and big rebounder and a 3rd great defender. 6’2 Drew Bragg has been assigned on some much bigger kids and been excellent 2x 10+ points. Sr Griffen Brown has scored 6-9 every game....Boston Kuhn off the bench has had games of 11 and 21 points.

Different team than last year. Last year was upset a couple times and could certainly happen again this year....but keeping Caleb Wallis from winning for 4 quarters will take a very good effort from a quite good team.

Hope this helps

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mlittle wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:10 pm

I think Jackson beats Burg and Minford, loses to Chilli and the U is a toss up. I think 2-2 through that stretch possibly 3-1 if they get lucky against Unioto.
I’ll take a banked in 3 from the corner from our worst shooter to win by 1. Just win.

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

Def agree the match between OH and Jackson would be a good game. I agree that a team with just a decent big won’t beat Jackson. Jackson’s guard play is what makes them go. Height doesn’t make you a decent big. I haven’t saw a decent post player other than Hammond in southern Ohio. But a team like oak hill with decent guards and a good big will give Jackson fits because of a lack of size. That’s all I was getting at. I think the only given win of those four games for Jackson is Minford. I haven’t saw Unioto play but I know they are always tough. Burg is big and I’ll know more about them tomorrow night after they play Oak Hill. I don’t believe that Jackson is within 10 of Chillicothe. So losses to Burg and Chilli, toss up with Unioto, and a win at Minford.

Return to “Boys Basketball”