District Final 3/10: Lucasville Valley vs. Portsmouth

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: District Final 3/10: Lucasville Valley vs. Portsmouth

Post by trojandave »

I have absolutely loved the defense that the Trojans have played thus far in the tournament........and that defense is the main reason that PHS has a 20-2 record........I expect to see PHS come at Valley really hard........the Indians have a lot of size, so Portsmouth must keep that size off the boards.

A win will give Portsmouth the 36th district championship in school history.........GO TROJANS!!!

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Portmouth seniors haven't forgotten what this Valley team did to them a couple years ago. Portsmouth will leave no doubt this time. Trojans by 14.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

trojandave wrote:I have absolutely loved the defense that the Trojans have played thus far in the tournament........and that defense is the main reason that PHS has a 20-2 record........I expect to see PHS come at Valley really hard........the Indians have a lot of size, so Portsmouth must keep that size off the boards.

A win will give Portsmouth the 36th district championship in school history.........GO TROJANS!!!

trojandave, I can remember quite a few conversations about success happening on the defensive end for the Trojans. They have bought into Coach Collins schemes and with that you have that success. Represent the SEOAL well and do it with D.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

As a Portsmouth fan, many of us have been itching for this mythical rematch with the team that sent us home packing two years ago. I know most of the players were wanting a crack at em last year. This year is no different from the fan/ player stand point. If you polled many of us, Valley is the team we want to excercise a demon against. Players for the Trojans who were apart of that loss.....Wayne Evans, Dion Mckinley, Seth Bratchett, Len Collins....and the rest of the team were around the program, I guarantee everyone of them remembers....hopefully Valley won't make us regret our desire to face off with them again. They're capable of winning. But the way it's lined up for the Trojans....there's no hiding......Go Trojans

valley23
Waterboy

Post by valley23 »

This game could go either way. I think Valley definately has the tools to beat the Trojans. We all know that Dion is going to come away with his points. Great players always do in these type of games. We just can't let the other players on the team beat us. We need to put a lot of pressure on Portsmouths guard. I think we can force some turnovers if we keep the pressure up. (Side not: I am very surprised the Seth Bratchett doesn't play that much. I think that he is the best option at guard that the trojans have on their team.)
Also, and I know I am biased, but I'll take this group of seniors at valley over anyone other school in the state. This group is so different than any I've ever seen. They are so determined and unselfish. A ton of workhorses that will sacrafice their own successes for the success of the enitre team. I'm so proud of the way this group carries themselves on and off the court.
Lastly, I hope coach is pushing the bleachers back in the gym and having the boys get lots off shots up on the side rims. It is definately different shooting on those rims at the convo. Hopefully we can hit more than 1 three ball this time.
GO INDIANS!!!

I

TigerMan
Waterboy

Post by TigerMan »

Come on Valley send them Trojans packing again!!!!!!!!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

A lot has been said about how much Portsmouth wants Valley. Well, we'll be there. The whole District will be watching! Knock us out! Come on, knock us out! (ala Rocky 3 :lol: )

In all seriousness, the Indians will play with tremendous heart and two years ago has absolutely NOTHING to do with this game. If Portsmouth feels they need the extra motivation, then so be it. Valley's gonna show up and compete for 32 minutes! If Portsmouth is gonna win, they're gonna have to match the Indians heart and will to win for 32 minutes! I guarantee that win or lose the Indians won't back down. It's going to be a great atmosphere and a great game between two very good basketball teams!

I love this time of year!!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

the only motivation the Trojans should have on their mind is the experience thay had last year and the desire to get back! Valley should just be another game in the way to where they want to be. they should already know that each and every game is going to be tougher and tougher and they will have to work harder and harder...I agree with everything Jesco has said, and I also agree the Portsmouth Trojans will also play with a lot of heart . both teams will no doubt leave it all on the floor at the convo.........

as for me...I have plenty of family that are Valley fans and grads and alum....so..its going to be a lomg night for some in the family :mrgreen:

hope it aint me :oops:

SOCMAN05
Freshman Team

Post by SOCMAN05 »

FOLKS..... This is the game you want to see ! Not gonna pick a winner to close to call , Just one thing strap your self down in them seats cause you are going to see a war !!! The Convo will be VIBRATING !!!!!!

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... jYeREIHCsw

SOC 2 Football Champs, Division 5 Region 19 Football Runner-Up, 12-1 overall record
SOC 2 Basketball Champs, Sectional Champs, 18-4 overall record (and counting)

This group of kids and coaches from Valley understand the habit of winning!

With Portsmouth entering the game as the SEOAL champs, Sectional Champs and defending District & Regional Champs; they obviously understand as well. As biggdowgg said, both teams are gonna leave it all on the floor!

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

[quote="biggdowgg"]
as for me...I have plenty of family that are Valley fans and grads and alum....so..its going to be a lomg night for some in the family :mrgreen:

hope it aint me :oops:[/quote

What's wrong biggdowgg, feeling the pressure. Don't worry, I'm a classy winner. Now pops is a different story. :mrgreen:

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

this should be a excellent game between two very talented teams. what better way to have a district title game that the SOC champ vs the SEOAL champ.

I've gotta go with valley in this one since I am a pirate fan and they are in the SOC. good luck to both teams

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

PHS 200 wins in district games vs Valleys 1
PHS speed vs Valley height
PHS seniors vs Valleys seniors
PHS knows how to win District championships, Valley doesn't, yet
this game will come down to who can handle the pressure of the one and done. Which team has a stronger will and foul shots. Valley has never been pressured by a defense like they will see Sat night. On the other hand, PHS can't have McKinley scoring 90% of PHS points. PHS also seems like they play close to the vest for a half. If McKinley doesn't get his supporting cast to take the pressure off him PHS will lose.
If PHS is firing on all cylinders they will win by 15. I see this game going back and forth until the 4 quarter, THEN, we will see the team that has a bigger heart and ice water running threw their veins!

I'm taking the TROJANS in this one

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

marshallman wrote:PHS 200 wins in district games vs Valleys 1
I realize you are exaggerating, but Portsmouth doesn't have 200 District wins and Valley has more than 1. Monday night was Valley's first win in a District game at the Convo, however, it wasn't Valley's first District win. And, a win on Saturday night wouldn't be the Indians' first District Championship.

Other than that, it's hard to argue with your breakdown of the game. I think those factors you listed are pretty accurate. It should be a very fun game to watch.

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

WNXT radio stated "Valley made history by recording their first win in a district game in school history" thats where that came from, they didn't say, at the CONVO.

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

That's not accurate. I know 86 they went to regional semi's and 87 lost in the regional finals by 1 or 2 points. Should have won that game also if Clark hadn't blown his knee out. District then was at chillicothe, regional was convo. Poor Roger, he even done the game back then lol

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

marshallman wrote:WNXT radio stated "Valley made history by recording their first win in a district game in school history" thats where that came from, they didn't say, at the CONVO.
WNXT was wrong, as blue pointed out. I figured that's where you got your info from when I first read your post. In addition to the 80's, the Indians also finished as Regional Runner-Up in '76 losing to eventual state champion Indian Valley South (featuring Bob Huggins and his brother, and coached by their father). That game was a monumental disaster, as the Indians lost a large lead late by going to a stall on offense after owning the tempo by being aggressive early. Indian Valley went on to dominate the State Semi's and Finals.

Regardless, the Indians don't have near the history that the Trojans have, but we do have our own history.......of course none of it will affect this game. The CURRENT Portsmouth players have 3 District tourney wins, while the CURRENT Indians have 1.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

History means nothing to either schools kids, and will have ZERO influence on the game...People say "Portsmouths been here before" Ok, so? What effect does that have on the game? Valleys kids arent going to be sitting in the locker room thinking..man Portsmouth won the state back in the day, we're beat.

smack
Riding the Bench

Post by smack »

valley by 5 they have more heart,

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Return to “Boys Basketball”