Vinton County JVs UNDEFEATED

hawkeyepierce
S

Re: Vinton County JVs UNDEFEATED

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Travis Hale has NO desire to be a head coach. He is very happy with what he is doing now. If he does anything in the future it will be retire has a millionaire; between his regular job, coaching, his trucking business, and his landscape business he can do it. He has been voted most likely to succeed from the Vinton County Coaching staff. If I was him I probably be a little more lazy so I could spend more time with his pretty wife. The man seems to have it all, except for my good looks.

Ironman92 wrote:I didn't know Alec Ray was from VC.

Yep, his father, Shawn, and mother, Deidre, were standout athletes at Vinton County in the late 80's and early 90's. Unfortunately, Shawn and Deidre divorced, both have since re-married, Shawn lives in Albany and Deidre married a Jackson man and lives, as you know, in Jackson.

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

There is only one coach at Vinton County that would get an interview for the Southeastern job if it were to ever come open again, and I can assure you, he was not coaching an undefeated J.V. team this year.

A lot of schools have juniors playing a quarter or two a night, why is it such a big deal with this team? Again congrats to the undefeated season. Vinton County should continue to dominate the T.V.C. for years to come.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Congrats on the undefeated season. But honestly, does it even matter what your teams JV record is? All of the best talent is going to get moved up to varsity? Some teams play juniors against teams whose JV is largely freshman???? JV ball should be used to prepare players for varsity IMHO.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Eagle...A good JV team almost always translates into a good Varsity team...Just look at Royster's record since 02...VC's Varsity has been great since that time too...A bad JV team one year, doesnt turn into a good varsity team the next..You have to start with success first. So really it does matter..and to ssay it doesnt is wrong in every way.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Dundas wrote:Eagle...A good JV team almost always translates into a good Varsity team...Just look at Royster's record since 02...VC's Varsity has been great since that time too...A bad JV team one year, doesnt turn into a good varsity team the next..You have to start with success first. So really it does matter..and to ssay it doesnt is wrong in every way.

We will just have to disagree. I have seen very good junior high and JV teams that never amounted to much of anything at the Varsity level. If a team's junior JV players are beating up on freshman and sophomores where other school's best underclassman are playing varsity then what have you ackomplished? Not much.

I do agree that consistant winning at every level does help (look at the burg).

Either way, best of luck to the Vikings in the future.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Agreed Eagle. I take it your a Belpre Eagle?

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

I thought Eaglesnest was from Beaver? Home of the Eastern Pike Eagles.
Great town, great school, great people, I worked there one year and loved it.
VC's basketball doesn't just start at the Jv level. Most of these boys start playing in the third grade.
One could say if all these boys stay in the school district, VC's best basketball team is yet to play.
Future looks bright for Coach Combs to become the legend @ Vinton County. Future boys coaches will be compared to his greatness.
GO VIKES

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VIKED_MAN wrote:I thought Eaglesnest was from Beaver? Home of the Eastern Pike Eagles.
Great town, great school, great people, I worked there one year and loved it.
VC's basketball doesn't just start at the Jv level. Most of these boys start playing in the third grade.
One could say if all these boys stay in the school district, VC's best basketball team is yet to play.
Future looks bright for Coach Combs to become the legend @ Vinton County. Future boys coaches will be compared to his greatness.
GO VIKES

Very true..If not for the hard work of Bob Grillo and all those who donate their time and money (including you VIKEDMAN), VC basketball wouldnt be close to where it is today. The kids work hard all the way from early elementary and that hard work pays off at the HS level.

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

Thanks.
First time in 8 years not coaching somewhere in Viking basketball; sure miss it.

UAGirl23
Waterboy

Post by UAGirl23 »

Eaglesnest wrote:Congrats on the undefeated season. But honestly, does it even matter what your teams JV record is? All of the best talent is going to get moved up to varsity? Some teams play juniors against teams whose JV is largely freshman???? JV ball should be used to prepare players for varsity IMHO.

That's entirely the point. Anyone good enough moves up to the Varsity team, so the JV team went undefeated with kids that are left. Take 2-3 of the best Varsity players and bench them for a game, that's basically what JV coaches have to do every season. This group of boys that are undefeated did NOT go undefeated last year. They've improved a huge amount in one year.

Coach Hale went to VC for 3 years and went to Southeastern his senior year, he did play for Jordan. He wouldn't take the SE Varsity job even if they offered it, he doesn't want to be a Varsity coach, maybe that'll change, maybe not.

UAGirl23
Waterboy

Post by UAGirl23 »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Travis Hale has NO desire to be a head coach. He is very happy with what he is doing now. If he does anything in the future it will be retire has a millionaire; between his regular job, coaching, his trucking business, and his landscape business he can do it. He has been voted most likely to succeed from the Vinton County Coaching staff. If I was him I probably be a little more lazy so I could spend more time with his pretty wife. The man seems to have it all, except for my good looks.

Sorry, hawkeyepierce, but you aren't going to find anyone in this world better looking than a Hale. :122249

Ironmen32
JV Team

Post by Ironmen32 »

The game against Jackson was one of the most poorly officated games I have ever seen. It was bad calls for both teams, and when Coach Jordan got that technical it killed Jackson's momentum.

UAGirl23
Waterboy

Post by UAGirl23 »

You are right on that one, the officiating was terrible. I don't think the 'T' was a totally bad call, or how much 'momentum' it killed. But it was probably the worst officiated basketball game I've seen in years.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

UAGirl23 wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:Travis Hale has NO desire to be a head coach. He is very happy with what he is doing now. If he does anything in the future it will be retire has a millionaire; between his regular job, coaching, his trucking business, and his landscape business he can do it. He has been voted most likely to succeed from the Vinton County Coaching staff. If I was him I probably be a little more lazy so I could spend more time with his pretty wife. The man seems to have it all, except for my good looks.

Sorry, hawkeyepierce, but you aren't going to find anyone in this world better looking than a Hale. :122249

Exactly!

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Royster was 20-0 in his last season. He was 138-18 as Vinton County Junior Varsity Coach for eight seasons.

To he honest Hawk, from what Ive seen watching the youth players this year. VC will be solid for at least 10 more years. Now there will be some teams better than others, and some will be dynamite, but all those groups have stacked up well in tournaments outside the county. And I know of some very scrappy 2nd graders also. :-D

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Oh, I know, Vikings96. I was at the February Freezer Classic which was won by a strong group of sixth graders. The cupboard is NOT bare.

The JV's will be in action this Tuesday at Meigs. Please get out and support the Vikings as the JV's go for 20 and we say goodbye to five wonderful seniors; Ethan Allen, Andy Grillo, Dylan Guthrie, Taylor Reed, and Steven Thompson. Please come out and support, lets fill Meigs' Gym with Viking pride.

Jake Roberts
Freshman Team

Post by Jake Roberts »

Travis Hale finished the job last night. In only his second season he goes undefeated as JV coach. If he could pull it off again next year he could match what Russ Caudill did a couple years ago at the junior high level.

bump in the road
Waterboy

Post by bump in the road »

Sounds to me like this team had a great season
Congrats to the vikings JV team
Who all did they beat??

vchoops
Freshman Team

Post by vchoops »

They actually played a very good schedule.

Outside of league, which included 2 wins vs a very good Athens team, they beat

Logan Elm
Zane Trace
Jackson
Piketon
Logan
Southeastern
Paint Valley
Trimble

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Congratulations, Coach Hale and all of the boys. They were certainly fun to watch this year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”