Warren @ Zanesville 1-15

swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

I hope Warren realizes that they will not play a team of the same calibre as Chilli or Zanesville until district finals (Chilli).

Competing against the best has made Warren better, and despite the losses they are learning what it takes to be the best in the Southeast.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Warren plays hard and physical, and there is talent. They didn't back down all night.

The JV squad was probably the best one I saw come in here all year (the last contest between the two was close, but two of our top JV players were unavailable in that game). So, while the Warriors will graduate several kids from the top of their rotation, I think they'll be just fine for at least a couple more years.

IMO, if Warren's the MVL, they're seriously challenging Tri-Valley for the league title. For the life of me, I don't understand how this team lost to Maysville AT HOME. While I think Maysville is decent, the Panthers don't have athletes on Warren's level, and are certainly not as physically strong. Must have been one horrid shooting night for Warren, or there were players missing?

The Warriors are going to be a very difficult "out" in the SE district tournament.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Vegas: It's always an experience to visit Zanesville. The roles were reversed on our JV squads as we had two starters gone this game. Wolfe is done for the season with a broken finger and Venham has been taken out of the rotation to be available for the varsity. I don't understand why we don't have a Junior or two play down (they get zero minutes in most of the varsity games) but it seems to be taboo at Warren to have juniors play JV.

In the varsity game some bad calls got the Warren folks riled up, but it certainly didn't decide the game. Warren's inability to hit their shots killed them again. I haven't seen the box scores, but I can't imagine that Warren shot over 25%.

I know Zville & Maysville are apples and oranges, but that's what happened when they played Maysville too.

maninthemiddle
Waterboy

Post by maninthemiddle »

warriorfan: I agree with you on the bad calls, but it was bad on both sides. It looked like a rugby match for 3 quarters then in the 4th they started calling everything. I don't mind physical basketball, but there has to be a limit. Like i said , both sides were doing the same things, would have like to seen it played a little cleaner. Props to warren, they didn't pack up and leave they fought to the end. I think this type of game will help them in the playoffs. I am just looking forward to playing Warren again in baseball.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

I did leave last night trying to figure out which Zanesville-Warren game was the most physical this year -- and I was INCLUDING our football game last fall. :lol:

Trust me when I say this -- there was more physical play allowed to "happen" in that game last night than in our game with Warren Harding last Saturday. It did not surprise me that emotions nearly got the best of some players in this game. Players will keep pushing the envelope to see what they can get away with, especially if the officiating is inconsistent or "loose."

We also have several kids on the varsity bench who could be helped, perhaps, by some JV minutes this year, since we're going to be counting on them to produce NEXT year. But I rarely question the personnel usage. I figure those guys know more about their players, their potential, and their plans, than I do!

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

MIM & Vegas: I'm not sure whether it is taboo for the coaches or players (or the players' parents) so I'm not pointing fingers with regard to the JV. Having Juniors on the JV just seems to be something that we don't do much.

Yup, rough game. Did seem like the number of fouls called was in Zville's favor, but you'll have that with the home crowd and all. Again, it didn't change the outcome of the game.

I think it will be fun to watch our teams play for the next couple years. Both last year and this year our teams have been some of he most competitive at the JV level. Won't see you all again this year, but look forward to going at it again next season.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

It should be a good matchup indeed.

As for the foul differential ... if you look at our stats, we consistent MAKE more free throws than our opponents TAKE, game in and game out, home or away. That comes from sound fundamentals on both ends of the floor (as well as great FT shooting, though we've slumped a little bit in our last two games). Also, Warren was easily the most physical of any team I've seen us play this year (Massillon usually falls into that category, too, but I didn't make the trip this year)., so it's not too surprising to me that there was that disparity last night.

Good grief, though, imagine if the refs had called it "tight." We'd still be in the fourth quarter! :lol:

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

My Portsmouth Trojans have to play both Zanesville and Warren on the road.....with Chillicothe sandwiched at home in between. Tough trifecta for the Red and Blue.

I was very impressed with the Blue Devils vs. Warren Harding, and despite the close loss, ZHS could do very well in the D1 tourney. No question in my mind that Zanesville is good enough to at least make it to the regionals at the Fairgrounds Coliseum.

Return to “Boys Basketball”