Hunnington vs Vinton Co @ Covo (Sat)

Sweet Pea
Freshman Team

Post by Sweet Pea »

vikingpride

did peebles play tonight at 9:15? that is 4 1/2 hrs later than vc was supposed to play and what - 50 miles further away from athens - stop the excuses!

late
sweetpea

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Sweet Pea - There were folks from Peebles showing up when I left the convo at 5:30 tonight, so yes, they made the drive.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
hoopin
Freshman Team

Post by hoopin »

Waverly has a Christian school? I never knew this. Who was the team left off Vinton Co. schedule last season? Yes, Peebles did make the journey tonight.

vc_fan
Riding the Bench

Post by vc_fan »

Heres's the the deal guys the next time we get a couple of inches of snow I will meet you at VCHS and give you directions to the players houses and you can try to make journey to their house and then maybe you will understand why it was called off.Anytime somebody thinks a ball game is more important than a human life then they have some serious issues!

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Some of you folks are making this out to be the storm of the century.....

To say "no dice" when it was said, was premature. Lots of folks managed their way through this short bout of nasty weather, and got where they needed to be, including me. My drive to the convo is further than the drive from McArthur, and I got to the convo in the midst of the mess.

No one is asking anyone to put their lives in peril. There simply isn't a very plausible explanation for why the VC administration made the decision not to play, so early in the day.

When I left the convo tonight, the roads were clear, and actually starting to dry, at 5:30 PM.

I have no dog in this fight, so I'm done with this. I just heard and earful from all of the team's fans about VC not showing.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

IMO V.C. probably wins this game but didn't want to take a chance in loosing and falling in Pfloyfd's elite 8. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

bucking red wrote:IMO V.C. probably wins this game but didn't want to take a chance in loosing and falling in Pfloyfd's elite 8. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, they did argue in an attempt to pass Wheelersburg last year. Hold on...I'm not finished laughing.... :lol: Just purely different levels, and I saw both 3 times.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I am not going to argue this anymore. The roads were bad, we have players stretched throughout the county, getting them to the bus would be dangerous in itself. Furthermore, it was not a decision made by the coaching staff.

And CJ is correct. Southeastern canceled that game they were the one who were traveling. It would have been our Senior Night. So instead of not having a senior night, at the last minute we found a substitute. And top it all off Southeastern refuse to come here this season, so we would have lost a home game this season if we had not been able to pick up Zane Trace.

Competitor
Waterboy

Post by Competitor »

Game time 5:45. Bus leaving VC 3:30 (maybe later, 30 minute drive). Players leaving their homes for school from all over the county of which I am familier, 2:45 tops. Road conditions at 2:30, VERY safe(was in the area). VC cancels game 12:30pm.
I am NOT saying the coaching staff made this decision in some "conspiracy", but the "powers that be" need to take a look at what they did. Nobody can look at this decision and give me an answer that makes any sense. Again, not saying VC didn't want to play this game, I am sure Matt and the team did, but the people that pulled the plug also influenced a lot of other people's day. Oh, and if you can't tell, BAD DECISION!!!!!!!!!!

Trying to find a golf game!!!
Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

let VC take the appropriate measures to march through their schedule undefeated again, only to get crushed in the Districts :-D just stirring the pot a little haha

and thats just how it is...Dshanton3
VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

The wife and I went to Chlli Sat. morn began snowing about 10:00, roads were covered by time we got to Londeoderry; from Hamden. Roads were covered with about 2" of snow by time we hit 35.
Around noon raining, snow melting, but still bad roads. 1:00 get call game is cancelled, while driving back to McArthur 50 was clear back roads were cover with slush.
The way it looked over at Chilli I assumed Huntington made the call, and I didn't blame 'em.
Either way it was the right call at the moment, like, hope, and suspect the game will be made-up; but where? Maybe at OU-C?
It's cool to read all the posts from the non-VCer's on here and feel their jealousy! I remember when I was envious of some other local programs, but was glad for them; especially when Belpre and Eastern Meigs went to state's final 4.
I know all the coaches and players were looking forward to playing in the Convo, so saying they cancelled the game to avoid an oppoent is absurd!
As far as last year, I think The parochial school initiated the game, I believe, just so VC could have a seniors night.
GO VIKES

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

The way I understand it is that Coach Combs wants to make this game up. However, he would like to do it on a neutral floor. He has offered to play the game at Alexander but it appears that Huntington does not want to travel that far again. I also hear that OU Chillicothe is being kicked around for a possible make up location. The people at Alexander were indeed disappointed that Vinton County did not play because it would have been the best game of the day. But in no way is anyone angry and the word I get is that when the weather is bad they feel that the decision is best left to those who have to travel. No hard feelings! When this game is finally played Alexander will still recieve the proceeds. To suggest that there were other motives, whether true or not, is unfair to the kids! :!:

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Time to think

Post by Swampfox »

I have worked on the Hoops Committee for the past year and I as they say have a nickel in it. I was very disappointed in VC decision not to play not only for the money, but to see a very exciting game. We work hard to put a competitive schedule for fans to see. This game had been talked up for along time. Bottom line is the team would have probably made it safe. BUT!!!!!! what if there was a wreck, I know I couldn't live with that. One member on the bus hurt would have dampen the event more than any amount of snow could have. Administrators make these decisions with weather all the time and we have to put faith in doing whats right for the kids. Hind sight is always 20-20. They did let us know in time so the other team did not have to make an unnecessary trip.

The commitee and the teams will work hard to make this game happen. Maybe the anticipation will make the game only better.

AndyDufresne
Waterboy

Post by AndyDufresne »

ttt
Last edited by AndyDufresne on Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoopin
Freshman Team

Post by hoopin »

I know there are Amish in VC, hitch a ride! haha
I understand both teams not making the trip to OU.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

niner,
here's the deal, i definitely believe in; better safe than sorry. but your excuse about getting to school is a little shaky. are you saying that the majority of the players sat home all saturday? i doubt it, probably out 4 wheelin and other snow activities. don't move people in rural areas have 4 wheel or all wheel drive in at least one vehicle in the family?

vc_fan
Riding the Bench

Post by vc_fan »

sparky,
The wheather got better here as the day went on. I live a couple miles out of town when I drove to McArthur at12:30 the roads were bad,the team had to be at the school at 2 so some of them would have to leave their house at 1:15 .The officals called the game off at 12 or 12:30 when the roads were the worst.By 5:00 the roads were clear so most of the players could have went places safely.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

if it ever takes place.

Return to “Boys Basketball”