Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Re: Jeff Lisath Is The Portsmouth Trojans Coach

Post by Jussmypinion »

PTrojan59 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:58 am Thanks for the updates TD. Looks like coach Lisath has had a short but productive time with the team so far this summer. Seems like a good step in the right direction come round ball time. I don’t want to get too excited too early but what he has done with this group thus far, the buzz in the community has me excited for basketball season already. Looking forward to more summer updates.
Is Lattimore coming back or has that ship sailed? I too am excited for basketball season and the upcoming scrimmages with New Boston and Lisath's former squad.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Jussmypinion: I don't think an absolute final verdict has come yet. He has participated in some open gyms. I am like you in that Coach Lisath has re-energized the program......and the kids have responded in a very positive way. I believe this summer's scrimmages are more important than usual because we have a new coach with a new staff introducing a completely different style of play.

PTrojan59: You are very welcome, Trojan Brother.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth will scrimmage at Greenup County, KY tomorrow starting around 6 PM.

On Friday, June 23, there will be a "Welcome Home Jeff" social event at Bannon Park from 5-9 PM. There will be guest speakers, concessions, and activities for kids. Hopefully a very large crowd will come out and honor a Trojan legend who is now our HC.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

Shootout at Greenup County High School beginning tonight

$5 Admission. I believe the updated schedule goes like this:

5pm St Joes (OH) vs West Carter (KY)
6pm Greenup County (KY) vs Chillicothe (OH)
7pm New Boston (OH) vs Tolsia (WV)
8pm Greenup (KY) vs Portsmouth (OH)

And as TrojanDave said, there will be a Block Party with a family fun atmosphere (Bouncy houses, Food trucks/ vendors friends and family and much much more) to welcome coach Lisath back to southeastern Ohio and more specifically back to Portsmouth where he won as a player and where he won on staff as an assistant coach on the 88 team. Back to a mecca of sorts in Portsmouth tradition at Bannon Park.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

jgordon0315: Thanks for the updated schedule at the Greenup County Shootout......and welcome back to SEOPS. It's been a while. It's always good to have someone in the "inner circle" to give us information that we "outsiders" would not have access to......... :D

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Think I'm going to go over but don't really want to watch every game,but for 5.00 I want my money worth lol....maybe last two or three

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Was told Portsmouth dropped out of the JV summer league.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Another very good showing last night by the Trojans vs. Greenup County (KY). Greenup Co. had beaten Chillicothe earlier before the Trojans took the court. PHS led only 29-27 at the half, but blitzed the Musketeers in the 2nd 20 minute half and went on to a 66-42 win. Portsmouth's D was the difference in the 2nd half, and while that was going on, Donovan Breech was on fire from the field in his best performance as a Trojan. Scoring every which way possible. DeAndre Berry once again showed his entire skill level, while Isaiah Lewis ran a mistake free game as PG, with Luke Stine and Noah Livingston crashing the boards, with Livingston getting some good putbacks. PHS's bench gave some good minutes as well. Trojans are now 8-2-1 in summer scrimmage play.

The "Welcome Home Jeff" social event planned for Friday, June 23rd has been cancelled but could be rescheduled at a later date.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

We were able to dot the i's and cross some t's and make the Welcome Home Lyce block party an event you don't want to miss. If you're anyone who has any association with the PHS boys basketball program or you consider Jeff a friend then this is your opportunity to show your appreciation for Jeff and those who paved the way to make Portsmouth one of the most storied programs in the state of Ohio. A great fun/ festive atmosphere with good music and good food. Hope to see you there and I'm sure Lyce would love to see you too!!!!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

2 more wins for the Trojans last night at the Greenup County Shootout:

Portsmouth had only 6 players available due to a PHS JV scrimmage at PHS last night. The Trojan still won convincingly over Tolsia (WV). In the 2nd game, the Trojans squeezed by host Greenup County by 1 point on a coast to coast buzzer beating layup by DeAndre Berry. GCHS took a 1 point lead with just 6.7 seconds remaining, but the Trojans inbounded the ball to Berry who split the defense and scored the game winning bucket with just 1 second to play. PHS had beaten GCHS 66-42 last Friday.

Don't know all the results of the JV scrimmage at PHS, but there was one game where the Trojans came back from a 14-7 deficit with a number of incoming 7th graders sparking a 24-20 win.

Portsmouth is now 10-2-1 in scrimmage play so far this summer. They have another scrimmage scheduled for Saturday at Columbus Linden McKinley.

Really remarkable how Coach Lisath's fingerprints on this program have made such a significant difference in so little time.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Thank you, jgordon0315 for your update on the Welcome Home Lyce block party. Glad to see it's still on because it's going to be a special evening. Hope the weather cooperates but there are contingency plans to move it indoors if necessary.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Watching this team under Coach Lisath's guidance, I can't help but think that the Trojans will be one of the most improved teams in the SE district in 2023-24......and that's with him being in charge for only about a month.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Who were the 6 who participated at GC? I seen Breech, Livingston, Berry & Lewis. Wasn’t sure who the other 2 were? Was one Cobb? Not sure the other.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Yes ,Cobb and Jayden Brewer

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

I heard the Trojans added another decent player to the roster ?
The saying of ,what comes around goes around holds true sometimes 😉.

Anyone know how the Trojans done in Columbus today, this will be good for the young men to play against this kind of competition,great job by your new coach,get out of the area and play the big boys!!!!

Jussmypinion
Waterboy

Post by Jussmypinion »

Pinwheel wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:55 pm I heard the Trojans added another decent player to the roster ?

Anyone know how the Trojans done in Columbus today, this will be good for the young men to play against this kind of competition,great job by your new coach,get out of the area and play the big boys!!!!
Portsmouth isn't playing in Columbus today.
They don't have another scrimmage until Saturday.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

As of right now, the Columbus scrimmage has been cancelled due to a transportation snafu. It might be on again if things can be worked out.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

I just got a text ! Someone dropped the ball.
Who they play Saturday

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Pinwheel wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:55 pm I heard the Trojans added another decent player to the roster ?

Is this speculation or did they really get a transfer in?

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Pinwheel wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:41 pm I just got a text ! Someone dropped the ball.
Who they play Saturday
They were supposed to play Western Hills, Marion Harding & Columbus East at Linden McKinley on Saturday.

Return to “Boys Basketball”