Chillicothe @ Warren 1/23

Bronc21
All Conference

Re: Chillicothe @ Warren 1/23

Post by Bronc21 »

have we shot more than 50% at the free throw more than once this year?

WarrenWarrior23
Waterboy

Post by WarrenWarrior23 »

yeah WARRIORS!!!!
A bucket by Hoon with around 23.5 seconds remaining.
On the other side of the court Chilli gets to the free throw line.
Nice box out by Hoon getting the board off of the missed free throw to tie the game.
Congratulations Warriors, You played great. WE ARE VERY PROUD :-D

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

If the refs were as bad as I heard, and I believe Dan Ramey(He is as fair and unbiased as a local radio guy can get), then that is what made the game close, but missing all those free throws is what made them lose. My father told me they were something terrible like 5-20 or 6-25, I don't know but either one or anything close is TERRIBLE. YOU MUST MAKE YOUR FREE THROWS. You WILL NOT make a deep tourney run if you cannot overcome a bad shooting night, a hot team, OR HORRIBLE OFFICIATING. That is what knocked the 06-07 team out of the regional tourney and without composure, discipline, and focus at the line, it can happen again to this team or any other team.

Congratulations to the warriors on a landmark win.
On the positive side, the Cavs don't have too much to be ashamed of. They lost to a good program. In three years in the SEOAL there are three teams that have beaten them 1 time. No one has beaten them twice and 7 have never baeten them. 3 League losses in 3 years is nothing to be ashamed of. YOU MUST MAKE YOUR FREE THROWS.

With that said, FREE throws are called FREE throws for a reason. It should be the easiest shot in basketball and you CAN'T blame anyone but yourselves for missing that many. YOU MUST MAKE YOUR FREE THROWS. I have all the faith in the world that the Cavs can make a return trip to Columbus and will be Shocked if they fall before regionals and dissapointed if they are not back at the schott, but they must learn from this loss and let it help them prepare for tourney time. YOU MUST MAKE YOUR FREE THROWS.

Oh yeah... YOU MUST MAKE YOUR FREE THROWS. YOU MUST MAKE YOUR FREE THROWS. YOU MUST MAKE YOUR FREE THROWS.

Good luck the rest of the season to the Cavs and the Warriors.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

Way to go, Big Blue! That may have been the best Warren game I have ever attended.
Cohesive team, good defense with few lapses, and we started making some FTs again.
Great job, Coach Maddox, and Keep it up, Warriors!

BTW, props to the Warren seniors and the student section. The whole night it was pumped and created a great game atmosphere. The seniors did a great job getting the whole Warrior crowd to stand and holler at the end of the ballgame.

This was big.
Job Well Done, Big Blue!!

Johnny Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Johnny Quest »

Great job Coach Maddox And all of WARRIOR NATION!!!!! GO BLUE!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I was going to yap about the refs since 2 players fouled out pretty early and all other Chillly starters had 4 fouls....but then seeing how many foul shots Chilly got...it looks like the refs called everything and Chilly shot themself in the foot.

This loss is tough as Chilly will now be overly focused to drill Jackson....Warren obviously played well but defense doesn't cause woeful free throw shooting.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

congrats to coach maddox and the warriors.

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Post by ZvilleBlueDevil »

welcome to the wacky seoal wow.........

jcbigblue
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue »

The officiating in this game was fair, and Chilli was lucky not have more fouls called. At one point in the game during an inbound play i thought the Chilli player was mounting a Warren player getting ready to wrestle, with his arm around his waist and tucked into the bellybutton. The jersey grabbing is outrageous in all basketball games but Chilli seems to be a master at it. That being said this is a gigantic win for the Warren program. These kids played their hearts out tonight and earned a great victory. Next Fed Hock. on tues. NO LET DOWN!!!!!!!!

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

The game was the best I've seen at the Coliseum this year! Some earlier posts talk about the officiating but the crew was out of Columbus. Well officiated in first half but did get physical in second half. Warren missed a bunch of free throws at the end, went 1 for 8, or this game wouldn't have come down to the last second. Fantastic win for the Warriors they needed it badly with the recent losses, and hopefully this will carry over momentum wise. A hard fought win, Warren finished this one! Congrats to the team and coaches!

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

Never mind the program...

This win puts the Warriors' season back on track. The boys are now 6-5, with games against Fed Hock (no let downs, boys!) and at struggling Portsmouth. Win both those, we head into the rematch with Fort Frye at 8-5 and on a solid 3 game win streak. The talk in Vincent was how this game could quickly become a stinker...the talk after the 1st quarter was about why any of the Warren faithfuk could have doubted.

Chillicothe played a good, physical game, and yes, missed free throws can be the downfall of any good team on any given night. Just ask the Warriors.

BUT NOT THIS TIME!!!!
Go BLUE!

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

The officiating was very "questionable"...for a tactful way of putting it. But it was bad both ways, many "what was that call for" fouls. In todays game of basketball it would be difficult to be a ref. They need to go back 30 years, if you put your hands on someone, it IS a foul.

Warren played a perfect game and did not back down. Congrats Warriors, if you play with that intensity you will not lose another regular season game. Everyone contributed...a TEAM win with a very short bench.

Chilli lost this game because they could not make anything from farther out than 5 feet for the first 3 quarters. After being down by 11 they made a game of it when Seth Dawes hit 2 3's and a 2 pointer in a very short span. Down the stretch Chilli just couldn't make the freet throws and Warren did, at least enough to win.

The Warrior JV's also won.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Just returned from the game. I am glad I have cooled down after the 90 plus mile trip. I briefly read some of these posts. If you were not at the game, you would not understand. As bad as Chillicothe played tonight, they got royally hosed by two of the three officials. I ask multiple people who have watched basketball for over 30 plus years like myself. Everyone of them said, they have never seen anything like it.

Pfloyd has a good point. The Cavs did shot Free Throws (and missed). Here is the difference. Our guys were getting hammered underneath going up strong. Very rarely did Warren even attempt anything underneath. Our fouls were bumps, charges, etc.etc.etc. I have never seen such poor calls. I could even live with that, except for the phantom traveling calls that came out of nowhere.

Two examples: Mike Turner drives to the hoop and feeds a nice bounce pass to Danta Thompson who in one motion goes up for the layup. Whistle..Traveling no bucket. Other example. Lose ball under Warrens basket. Ronnie Smith grabs the call and craddles it like you are taught. Does not move traveling.

I will say this. Caleb Knights and Seth Dawes are two of the classiest kids Chilly will ever have. If you could have only see their faces.

Let me finally sum it up this way. When I walked in the gym during the JV game, we were ahead by 1. I told the guy at the door (president of booster club and a great guy) that this must be a good one. His comment (mind you a Warren guy). Ah the refs are keeping us in the game. You guys should be way ahead. I understand this happens in JV games (I have seen it at Chilly), but to get screwed by two guys.

The most interesting play of the night goes as follows. Warren goes down to shot a layup (#23). Both he and Mike Turner go up. No contact and layup is good. Both kids come down on the short endline and end up on the wall/pad. We are trying to push the ball, so Mike Turner is trying to get up. The referred blows the whistle calls the basket good and gives #23 two shots. Help me understand that.

I will be back tomorrow, once I see the stats. But yes, we got outrebounded. Yes, we shot poorly (field and free throw line). Yes, we did not play our best defensive game. But when you take 4/5 of your starting five out of the game for long stretches due to fouls. what does one expect. 16-18 year old kids trying to fight through their frustration is difficult. Dan Ramey calls it like it is. I was getting text all night about how he saw the same thing us Cavs fans seen. All, I ask is don't screw the kids. We made Warren's year as the rushed the floor and celebrated like a Regional Championship. They played hard and got the W, but I would not watch the film if I was them. They would cringe themselves

In closing, I never watched the "Simpsons" TV show carton, but I bet one of their names was Homer and he was one of the refs down on the River tonight.

GO CAVS!!!!

tribetime
Freshman Team

Post by tribetime »

happy to say my initial prediction was almost exact!!!
chilli, welcome the the real seoal, and life on the road.....
no time for complaining, the last two years were an aberration for ztown and chilli. seoal north is still up for grabs...go blue!!!!!

The Wizard
Freshman Team

Post by The Wizard »

For all those Chilli whiners, the officials are assigned for SEOAL games. If you have any complaints see Kelly Stillwell in care of the Logan ADs office.

Chilli of all people should never question officials after some of the things I have seen over there year after year.

If you think those guys are bad then you have not seen the local guys.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

I can't stand it.

The fouls were even 8-8 at the end of the first half. In the third quarter Chilli went to an aggressive, trapping, full-court press to make a comback from 8 points down. Of course, the fact that Chilli spent most of the second half in a full-court press had NOTHING to do with the number of fouls that were called on them . . . they were just cheated by the officials. If you could just see the look on the faces of those poor kids. . .

What a bunch of baloney.

I guess we shouldn't discuss the fact that the Chilli players started jawing at the refs in the first half and didn't stop for the rest of the game. We sort of the got the feeling that the Chilli players couldn't BELIEVE that Warren was actually playing with them. Of course . . . it's the officials! Warren had 3 players with 4 fouls too but didn't press the whole game. The bottom line is Warren went to a 2-3 zone in the second quarter, worked hard, and Chilli couldn't figure it out. Chilli made a come back with the press and took the lead (and also got whistled for some fouls in the process). Warren has talent and, except for the Gallia game when they only had 6 healthy players, every loss has been a nail biter. They are getting better, and will be ready for tournaments.

Everyone in the SEOAL needs to quit whining about the officials. NO TEAM in the SEOAL contracts with the officials for ANY games. We hadn't even seen these guys before.

Great win for Warren. Good luck to Chilli the rest of the way.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

CONGRATS TO COACH MADDOX

dawescpa
Riding the Bench

Post by dawescpa »

I will never complain about referees for one and one reason only, they all are bad. Officially CAVS shot 10-23 from the line. Make 3 more free throws and we overcome the adversity. Warren played very well, give them credit. #23 can play. We can use this loss as a stepping stone. Work harder, play smarter. Congrats to Warren. The bullseye is still on our backs!

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Here are the stats. Remember as you read these, Warren's win had nothing to do with the fact that they out rebounded Chilli by 7, or the fact that Chilli only made 3 out of 16 three pointers (3 for 16!!!!). The biased officiating determined the outcome of the game. The fact that Chilli was in a full-court press nearly the entire second half and was unfairly whistled for 7 more fouls than Warren . . . that was the difference.

Get a grip. Sheesh.

Warren 54,

Chillicothe 53

Chillicothe 3 6 14 20 - 53

Warren 11 15 12 14 - 54

CHILLICOTHE (9-3)

Gregg Van Volkinburg 3-5 2-5 8, Caleb Knights 1-4 4-6 6, Michael Turner 6-12 0-1 13, Ron Smith 5-7 2-9 12, Seth Dawes 5-14 2-2 14, Donta Thompson 0-3 0-0 0, Jakin Ragland 0-1 0-0 0, James VanVoorhis 0-0 0-0 0, TOTALS: 20-46 10-23 53.

WARREN (5-6)

Jonathan Hebb 4-9 7-10 15, Brandon Fivecoait 3-4 6-8 12, Grant Venham 4-11 0-3 8, Austin Cunningham 4-10 0-0 10, Eric Hoon 3-9 3-6 9, Devan Anderson 0-1 0-0 0, Andrew Lang 0-0 0-0 0, TOTALS: 18-44 16-27 54.

Teams stats

Three-point goals: Chillicothe 3-16 (Dawes 2-8, Turner 1-5, Knights 0-1, Thompson 0-2) Warren 2-7 (Cunningham 2-6, Hebb 0-1).

Rebounds: Chillicothe 29 (Knights 9, Smith 7, Volkinburg 6), Warren 36 (Fivecoait 8, Venham 8, Hebb 5). Assists: Chillicothe 13 (Knights 6), Warren 13 (Venham 4, Anderson 3). Steals: Chillicothe 6 (Turner 2), Warren 4. Turnovers: Chillicothe 11, Warren 13. Total fouls: 24, Warren 17. Fouled out: Volkinburg, Knights, Dawes.

JV: Warren 47, Chillicothe 44

Chillicothe (8-3) leader: Brandon Beverly 14

Warren (5-6) leaders: Jace Knost 22, Ryan Kreaps 7.

Warrior Mom
Waterboy

Post by Warrior Mom »

hitchbone64
How would your son/daughter react after winning a hard fought physical game,where they were the underdog,against the defending state champs. Give our kids alittle credit here. They out played the Cavs last night....IT IS WHAT IT IS.You say don't screw with the kids,but you don't mind making such comments to our kids,about not watching the game film,as it may make them cringe.

Fact is,and I quote you,"We got out rebounded,shot poorly from the field and free throw line,and did not play our best defensive game." That my friend is why you came up with the "L".It ain't rocket science.But why were at it lets do alittle math,any team going to the foul line to shoot 25 free throws has NOT been homered.

I will agree with your comments about Knight and Dawes being classy kids,as well as great ball players.With that said I would like to share a story about having class as well.Last year during your wonderful run the the state title,my son was a freshman and attended your championship game in Columbus,upon arriving home he came thru the door wearing a 10 foot smile and a CHILLICOTHE CAVALIERS STATE CHAMPS tee shirt on , that is class.(still wears it to school today). Well he was on that floor last night playing against kids he cheered on,knowing what they were capable of doing. And we got the "W",did you see the look on his face by chance? He earned it!!!!But if you must go ahead and take credit for making the Warriors year because that my friend you did. :aaaaa58

Return to “Boys Basketball”