VC @ ALEXANDER

Solomon
Freshman Team

Re: VC @ ALEXANDER

Post by Solomon »

Vinton County won a D II District Championship last season.

freakintheseat
Freshman Team

Post by freakintheseat »

Competitor wrote:I believe Hawkeye said that VC has won 4 TVC Ohio titles in the last 5 years. I in NO way am bashing the job that Matt has done at VC, but I ask, could someone tell me what the teams in the TVC Ohio have done in the IMPORTANT season, tourney time? League titles are nice, but to me, the BIG picture is when it's time to WIN OR GO HOME!!!

or TRANSFER!!

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

Vinton County barely winning, Spartans on a roll. When it comes to rivalities like this, you can throw all that a way. These games are played on wood not paper. I look for a very physical and entertaining game. Both coaches know how important this game is, but the team that executes will win. I'll take the Spartans by a field goal because of the Alley. The great thing about this it just the first of two great games.

FLASH-G
Riding the Bench

Post by FLASH-G »

Ironman92 wrote:It's Vinton County's to lose. They are the team that wins the TVC every year and Combs run a program that enstills his players believing they will win and win they do.

Vinton County by 6....and no way is it an upset

Thanks Ironman92 you can judge Vinton County Teams because everyone is different Don't judge Coach Combs his record speaks for itself, if these two teams are evenly match you can bet the farm V.C. will come out on top.

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

Cant wait to see ththe outcome of this one it will be a good one. A lot of people on here has made a big deal about margin of victory. This means nothing. VC doesnt run and gun like they have in the past therefore doesnt put up 70+ pts a game. This team is built on solid "D" and fundemental basketball. Alex will have problems with VC's depth and the two bigs underneath. VC is a solid 8 or 9 deep and constantly have fresh legs in there guarding causing TO's. The Spartans have yet to see a team with depth like this or that plays shut down "D". I look for VC to pull out the "W" by 7.
VC 62
Alex 55

The Gloaming
Freshman Team

Post by The Gloaming »

Swampfox wrote:Vinton County barely winning, Spartans on a roll. When it comes to rivalities like this, you can throw all that a way. These games are played on wood not paper. .

That's what everyone said about the Alex/Fed Hock game and it was over in the first 3 minutes.

I think the difference this year is this....Alexander very good.......Vinton County....not nearly as good as they have been.
Alex whips VC Friday and then VC keeps it closer at home....but still loses to a better team.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

prepster....."I only root for VC when they are playing Wellston"

I have nothing against anyone or any kid playing.....it's real simple. Jackson and Wellston are pretty big rivals.

I don't often root for the rival.

Competitor
Waterboy

Post by Competitor »

freakintheseat wrote:
Competitor wrote:I believe Hawkeye said that VC has won 4 TVC Ohio titles in the last 5 years. I in NO way am bashing the job that Matt has done at VC, but I ask, could someone tell me what the teams in the TVC Ohio have done in the IMPORTANT season, tourney time? League titles are nice, but to me, the BIG picture is when it's time to WIN OR GO HOME!!!

or TRANSFER!!

Hey Freak, I asked a non partial question about what the teams in the TVC Ohio have done as far as tournament runs in the last few years and you have to throw in transfer!! So if you move to another school district your kids should still attend the one that they were going to prior to moving? You know what, I am sick of discussing this on forums, you want to chat, a PM or phone call is all it takes!!!

Now, back to my serious question, does anyone have info on what the league teams have done in the tourney in the past few years?

vikefan
Freshman Team

Post by vikefan »

Competitor..you have a PM

Jake Roberts
Freshman Team

Post by Jake Roberts »

Competitor wrote:
freakintheseat wrote:

or TRANSFER!!

Hey Freak, I asked a non partial question about what the teams in the TVC Ohio have done as far as tournament runs in the last few years and you have to throw in transfer!! So if you move to another school district your kids should still attend the one that they were going to prior to moving? You know what, I am sick of discussing this on forums, you want to chat, a PM or phone call is all it takes!!!

Now, back to my serious question, does anyone have info on what the league teams have done in the tourney in the past few years?

I believe Solomon answered your question. Now, I hope you are not trying to compare Alexander's volleyball team with the TVC Ohio boy's basketball teams. That would be a little unfair for obvious reasons. No TVC basketball team has seen that kind of outside influence since Derrow brought in the Estonians along with a couple others. Of course, they still couldn't make it out of the sectionals.

Spartan4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by Spartan4Life »

Jake Roberts wrote:I believe Solomon answered your question. Now, I hope you are not trying to compare Alexander's volleyball team with the TVC Ohio boy's basketball teams. That would be a little unfair for obvious reasons. No TVC basketball team has seen that kind of outside influence since Derrow brought in the Estonians along with a couple others. Of course, they still couldn't make it out of the sectionals.

Maybe some of the boy's coaches need to step it up like Coach Jeffers did if they want the TVC to get any respect. As far as outside influences, who cares. Alexander is state champs in volleyball. Our basketball team is doing great and I believe we will win the league. However, we probably would make a better tournament run if Coach Gabriel would get some more kids from surrounding schools to come play at Alexander. I would love to see Valentour, Witten and Pfaff from Athens playing for the Spartans this year. We could really go deep in the tourny then. Anyway, I'm still predicting a 22 point win for my Spartans come Friday night.

Competitor
Waterboy

Post by Competitor »

Jake, Solomon didn't answer my question, he just told me that VC won a District title last year. I was asking about all the teams in the TVC Ohio. I have been out of touch with the league for several years and just wanted the info. I am NOT the one that mentioned transfer and quite frankly am sick of talking about it. Every time I post something on here some wisea$$ brings up that my family moved. My post had nothing to do with Alexander Volleyball comparisons and nothing to do with transfers. But I would be careful knocking teams and schools that have had kids move in unless your school has never done that.

Vikefan, thanks for the PM, checked it out, some good info. Would like to see what the other league teams have done. Hawkeye has done his homework!! Good luck Friday.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Vinton County is 26-42 in tournament history, 11-8 under Matt Combs. In Vinton County's history we have 6 league titles, 7 sectionals titles and 1 district title in 42 seasons. I can't speak for everyone else. Some schools have been around for a lot longer than 42 years, such as Wellston, 100 plus years. So to say that they haven't won a district title would be wrong of me. However, I don't think they have won one in the last 25 years. I know in the 1981-1982 season Alexander came close losing in the district finals to Paul Newman (who I believe went to Marquette) and Wheelersburg. Meigs during their hay-day in the mid-80's, I believe came up short of a district title. Belpre in the nineties, Garrett, Klein, Morey and many others, made some nice runs collecting at least 2 district titles and 2 regional championships and I think 1 state runner-up, (someone will correct me if I am wrong). No wait Morey played on the 2000-2001 team, anyways, someone will correct me. I think you have to go way back to the Penrod days or just after with Taggert, Mays, Shentz to think they could have put anything together in the tournament. However, nothing recently, I think Vinton County owns the newest district title and then Belpre in 2000-2001 (I believe) then before that, who knows?

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

I believe Belpre has won three district titles (1993, 1997 and 2001). Went to the state all three years. Wellston has never won a a district title despite two appearances in the championship game.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

There you go, keyser should know if he doesn't he has the resources to find out.

spartacat
Freshman Team

Post by spartacat »

[quote][/quote]Maybe some of the boy's coaches need to step it up like Coach Jeffers did if they want the TVC to get any respect. As far as outside influences, who cares. Alexander is state champs in volleyball. Our basketball team is doing great and I believe we will win the league. However, we probably would make a better tournament run if Coach Gabriel would get some more kids from surrounding schools to come play at Alexander. I would love to see Valentour, Witten and Pfaff from Athens playing for the Spartans this year. We could really go deep in the tourny then. Anyway, I'm still predicting a 22 point win for my Spartans come Friday night.

I am so tired of the volleyball talk - no offense to the vball team I am proud of the state title they brought home - HOWEVER this is basketball season and we are on a basketball thread. Whatever the issues are that surround the volleyball program has NOTHING to do with the basketball program.

Futhermore, Spartan4LIfe (which I don't believe you are a TRUE Spartan to be talking the way you do) I would not trade any of the Spartans (starters or not) for Valentour, Witten or Pfaff. As I stated earlier a TRUE Spartan would not say such a thing.

Now that I'm done responding to the trash talk...onto the BIG game. As always I'll take the Spartans for the win. Don't want to predict by how much (don't want to offend the mighty Vicking fans ;-) ) as Swampfox said in this game, this rivalary, stats can be thrown out the window. Spartans, just keep playing the way you know how to play and get hold of that TVC title lead!

Good Luck Alexander Spartans :!:

Spartan4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by Spartan4Life »

spartacat,
I just want the teams to be the best they can be like our volleyball team is. If that would mean having 1 or 2 talented players from Athens transfer into the district then so be it. I just want us to be the best we can.

freakintheseat
Freshman Team

Post by freakintheseat »

Competitor wrote:Every time I post something on here some wisea$$ brings up that my family moved. My post had nothing to do with Alexander Volleyball comparisons and nothing to do with transfers. But I would be careful knocking teams and schools that have had kids move in unless your school has never done that.

I really don't consider myself "wise" and I said nothing about YOUR family or MOVING. And frankly, your post was a "dig" at ALL TVC teams that have not made it to state, go back and read your post, all caps is an emphasis on that word! I would think that any kid on last years team, and any Viking fan, would consider the first school District Championship VERY IMPORTANT!

Don't stir the pot if you don't want to taste the soup!! ;-)

freakintheseat
Freshman Team

Post by freakintheseat »

Oh, about the game!!

I love my Vikings, but I do believe they have their work cut out for them this Friday, I will keep my fingers crossed and take the Vikes by 4!

Vikes 67
Alex 63

Go Vikes!!

FLASH-G
Riding the Bench

Post by FLASH-G »

Spartan4Life wrote:
Jake Roberts wrote:I believe Solomon answered your question. Now, I hope you are not trying to compare Alexander's volleyball team with the TVC Ohio boy's basketball teams. That would be a little unfair for obvious reasons. No TVC basketball team has seen that kind of outside influence since Derrow brought in the Estonians along with a couple others. Of course, they still couldn't make it out of the sectionals.

Maybe some of the boy's coaches need to step it up like Coach Jeffers did if they want the TVC to get any respect. As far as outside influences, who cares. Alexander is state champs in volleyball. Our basketball team is doing great and I believe we will win the league. However, we probably would make a better tournament run if Coach Gabriel would get some more kids from surrounding schools to come play at Alexander. I would love to see Valentour, Witten and Pfaff from Athens playing for the Spartans this year. We could really go deep in the tourny then. Anyway, I'm still predicting a 22 point win for my Spartans come Friday night.

All I have heard from you is that you don't care about the kids I bet if your kid was benched infavor of out influences you would care then.

Return to “Boys Basketball”