VC @ ALEXANDER

Solomon
Freshman Team

Re: VC @ ALEXANDER

Post by Solomon »

Vinton County's defense is too good to be beaten by 20 plus. I am with hawkeye, hateraid and Space Cowboy, this will be a very good game and anybody who predicts a Spartan blow outs is bias and stupid.

vikefan
Freshman Team

Post by vikefan »

This will certainly be a great game...both teams seems to always play well at each others "house"...some of VC's best wins have been at Alex and vice versa...I am looking forward to it.

The Gloaming
Freshman Team

Post by The Gloaming »

VC has struggled with some very bad teams...

I'll go ahead and stick with my "stupid" prediction that Alexander wins by 15.....or more.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

It's Vinton County's to lose. They are the team that wins the TVC every year and Combs run a program that enstills his players believing they will win and win they do.

Vinton County by 6....and no way is it an upset

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Well, I guess this year, we have two immovable objects. If we were to conduct a science experiment, what would move, and who would win???

"They are the team that wins the TVC every year and Combs run a program that enstills his players believing they will win and win they do."

Let me restate that:

"They are the team that wins and Gabriel runs a program that enstills his players believing they will win and win they do."

Most definitely this year. Arrogance of success is a dangerous thing, and can lead to the downfall of a dynasty.

Not knocking my friends from VC, please don't take it that way. However, don't assume that the crown is given and will be handed to you.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Steely Dan wrote:Well, I guess this year, we have two immovable objects. If we were to conduct a science experiment, what would move, and who would win???

"They are the team that wins the TVC every year and Combs run a program that enstills his players believing they will win and win they do."

Let me restate that:

"They are the team that wins and Gabriel runs a program that enstills his players believing they will win and win they do."

Most definitely this year. Arrogance of success is a dangerous thing, and can lead to the downfall of a dynasty.

Not knocking my friends from VC, please don't take it that way. However, don't assume that the crown is given and will be handed to you.

I do not disagree with you Steely Dan. However, the only arrogance being displayed here on this forum are fans that wear black and red. And most definitely the arrogance of success could lead to complacency. It seems to me that Alexander fans are impressed with their 9-1 record and their margins of victories and are certainly not afraid to say so. Arrogance? I don't know? I prefer ignorance. Furthermore, it is ignorant to think that Vinton County will hand the crown to anyone because no one handed it to us, we earned every TVC-Ohio victory in the last five years, the result 4 TVC-Ohio Championships. Therefore, it wasn't handed to us and we are not giving it to anyone just because of flowery winning margins. The game must played.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Steely Dan wrote:Well, I guess this year, we have two immovable objects. If we were to conduct a science experiment, what would move, and who would win???

Let me restate that:

Maybe we both will collide togeather, forming a great black hole , that will suck in all light and any intelligent life forms within its grasp.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Let the outcome of the game do the talking. Still going with Alexander in this one. The whole disrespect thing does not fly with me. I have been around long enough to see plenty of disrespect of opponents coming out of VC since they became the mecca of high school basketball in southeast Ohio.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Vinton County is going to keep doing what they do best... WINNING. it doesnt matter how bad they win they are gonna execute on offense and pressure ondefense to keep it a low scoring game...

VC by 5 or more :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The arrogance didn't come from a VC poster, it came from me a complete outsider of the school....and not even a fan that ever really roots for them unless they are playing Wellston.

What I said is true, VC wins the TVC Ohio year in and year out and Coach Combs has a tremendous program in tact from very young all the way up to varsity.

I'm not being arrogant, I'm just being factual. I'm sure Coach Gabriel enstills the same, but of the past several years VC has shown it more and it is always the case....VC is the TVC champ until someone knocks them off. Sure Alexander can beat them, but if anything the arrogance has come from the Alexander posters who just seem to think they have been handed the TVC crown.

Good Luck to both, I really couldn't care less who wins.

kcarth305
JV Team

Post by kcarth305 »

Alexander by 10

Spartan4Life
Riding the Bench

Post by Spartan4Life »

Space Cowboy wrote:Maybe we both will collide togeather, forming a great black hole , that will suck in all light and any intelligent life forms within its grasp.

The gym would be left with only people from Vinton County then.

Hayman
Waterboy

Post by Hayman »

VC is not as strong as past years. VC has struggled against teams this year that they should have and years past would have blown out. Based on this years teams performances, Alex should win this one. As I said earlier, its theirs to win. The fact that Alex fans are behind the boys a hundred percent doesnt make any of us ignorant or arrogant. So lets stop whining about that. Opinions are like something else, everybody has one.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... will this BIG game in Southern/Southeastern Ohio be a triple header ? ... I'm going to bypass my Purple's home game with Jackson to travel to Albany to see this one ... should be a dandy no matter which side of the floor you are sitting on ... looking forward to seeing the strength of Alexander inside vs the quickness of the Vinton Co TEAM ... the weather MIGHT be a balmy 30 degrees when Friday rolls around LOL ... no match for how hot it will be inside ...

... who is the announcer for Alexander and at the Convo in the post season? going to have to introduce myself - have listened to him/seen him all the years I have been doing the 3 weeks of the Convo in the post season, all of the Alexander "classics" throughout the regular season ... does a great job - the VOICE of the post season in Southern/Southeastern Ohio every year ...

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

This will be a great game, and no, I don't think it'll be a blowout either way. Aside from the home court-advantage, Coach Gabriel and the Spartans have a really talented group of kids. The Alex press and their ability to shoot it from beyond the arc will present a challenge for VC.

VC really isn't what they were last year, but(guess what) they're still winning. The biggest concern for VC will be their ability to play consistently hard for four qtrs. Throughout this year they've had some let-downs as far as being able to show energy throughout the entire game and making unforced errors.

Best of luck to both teams. Should be a dandy!
Last edited by Ty Webb on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

pfloyd wrote:... who is the announcer for Alexander and at the Convo in the post season? going to have to introduce myself - have listened to him/seen him all the years I have been doing the 3 weeks of the Convo in the post season, all of the Alexander "classics" throughout the regular season ... does a great job - the VOICE of the post season in Southern/Southeastern Ohio every year ...

That'd be Lou Horvath....AKA "Sweet Lou." Nice guy! 8)

Don't ask him what time it is because he'll always respond that "its BASKETBALL THIRTY!"
:lol: :lol:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks Ty Webb for the info on Lou Horvath ...

prepster
Riding the Bench

Post by prepster »

Ironman 92 - why are you haten on the Rockets? You only root for VC when they are playing against Wellston, that was your comment. Wellston, Meigs, NY, Belpre, Alex, VC, Jackson they all instill the same values - Its all about kids you have at the time. Combs is no better coach than the others. I bet he will bolt from VC in a couple of seasons - just watch. Give Jay Kline or Benny Ewing his teams the last four years and they would have the exact same record or better, can you disagree with that statement? Vinton has had kids the last four seasons - Combs has done a nice job - coaches can screw up talented teams and to his credit he hasnt done that, but he hasnt won with bad kids, he has won with the best kids in the league and probably most of the area. Vinton is slowly starting to run out of talent and the others are starting to slowly catch back up. The Rockets and Ironmen both beat VC freshman - actually I think Wellston beat them both times in Freshman.

Solomon
Freshman Team

Post by Solomon »

Combs is one of the best coaches in the area. Sure he has had some great talent, but here is the thing, VC has always had talent, they never had that guy to bring it all together and he has done just that. The other thing VC is not running out of talent the junior high teams are currently undefeated, there may gaps and lulls in the system but I say as long as Combs is here, VC will be in the hunt for the TVC crown for years to come.

Competitor
Waterboy

Post by Competitor »

I believe Hawkeye said that VC has won 4 TVC Ohio titles in the last 5 years. I in NO way am bashing the job that Matt has done at VC, but I ask, could someone tell me what the teams in the TVC Ohio have done in the IMPORTANT season, tourney time? League titles are nice, but to me, the BIG picture is when it's time to WIN OR GO HOME!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”