SOC1 Outlook 2016-17

Western24
Freshman Team

SOC1 Outlook 2016-17

Post by Western24 »

Who are the teams to beat in the SOC 1. Who does everyone see as the best player in the conference all around. I know my answers for both, but would like to get some opinions. There is not a lot going on in the basketball forum yet, so lets hash it out.

Basketball is right around the corner and before we know it basketball thirty will be here.

Lets hear it.

art_vandelay
SE

Re: SOC 1

Post by art_vandelay »

1. East
2. Eastern
3. Western
4. Clay
5. Notre Dame
6. Symmes Valley
7. Green
8. New Boston

Overall, best SOC I since the 90s. Not much difference between teams 1-5...could make a case for any of those 5 teams to win league. Will likely send multiple teams to the Convo again as well and possibly a team to Regionals (gotta think Waterford has the other spot).*

Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

First day of practice according to the OHSAA website. Basketball is right around the corner. Lets get this thread going. Where are all the SOC guys at?

UKNate
Freshman Team

Post by UKNate »

From what I hear it's Clays.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

East, Eastern, Western, or Clay could win this league. Has there ever been a four-way tie for the gold ball in the SOC1?

Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

The gold ball would represent going undefeated in the league wouldn't it?

If so I would say no because that would be impossible. I do doubt that there has ever been a four way time to win the league either but do not have the history of the league.

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

East won it last year and return everyone. I think they are at the top of the list. Western, eastern and clay will all have a chance. ND will be tough but with the loss of one of their key players others will have to step up!!

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Eagles are going to be a tough team to beat and have high expectations in coach Barricks 2nd year. Eagles return most of their scoring and look to have picked up some depth with a few kids gaining experience and getting better in AAU. Look for Ethan Leist (6'1 Sr)and Clay Martin (6'2 Sr) to have big years both have gotten bigger and stronger and will be hard for teams to stop inside and at the perimeter they will account for a lot of eagle scoring. Evan Leist (Soph) is a good ball handler and very quick and with one more year experience will cause problems for defenders.Tyler Hale (6'3 Sr) and Mike Miller ( 6'4 Soph) will be rotating time down in the post, Noah Gray, Quentin Alley, Cody Weaver, Wes Hodge, Bryce Hoover are pretty good athletes and will add to the eagle depth.
Last edited by brown22 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

GO EAGLES
ColdHardTruth
JV Team

Post by ColdHardTruth »

East will probably win it this year but it will be their last really good year for the foreseeable future.
Clay, western will be good. Green will be much improved at their freshmen stars are now sophomores but still a year away from making any noise.

Harambe
Riding the Bench

Post by Harambe »

There is no for sure front runner in the SOC 1 this year it could go any which way. The difference this year I believe is the teams like Green, New Boston, and Symmes Valley could all give the top teams in the league trouble and even grab an upset or two throughout the season. That would shake up some things in the league discussion.

East is going to be a tough out. They do not usually lose at home, therefore, they must protect home court and get it done on the road as well. I do see them and Eastern as the two teams to beat in the SOC 1. Akia Brown is a special player and he will be everyone's first priority when they play the East Tartans. They return everyone and that just means they should have gotten a year better as a team. Look forward to watching their fast game play style.

Eastern Pike is loaded with talent, and has a great Coach to go with it. This year they should definitely show out under Barrick in his second year. Leist and Martin are the go to' s for this team and I believe everyone can see why. As long as they stay sound and disciplined I can see them having maybe even a better shot then East to win the League.

Notre Dame is a team to look our for but I do not think they have the fire power to win the league. With maybe their most athletic player moving they will struggle a lot this season moving forward. They did not have a lot of depth to begin with so I would be shocked if they were In the top three of the league.

Clay is the other team in this league that might just have what it takes to win. Clay is very talented on the offensive end and seem to always just get it done on the defensive end when they need too. With their 3 best players being seniors they should have great leadership and be very disciplined. This will be a fun team to watch.

I actually watched Western and South Webster in a scrimmage last weekend and Western did not seem to live up to expectation. The did not play bad, but Webster controlled the game for most of the 6 quarters. Western has a lot of work to do to before the upcoming season. I believe that with Coach Miller Western can definitely get to the point they need to be at before their first tip. Miller is an outstanding young Coach and I look forward to seeing a few more Western games this year to see how far they come.

This should be a fun year of basketball in the SOC 1. Feel free to share your opinion as I shared mine. Just a quick look at what I believe will go down in the SOC 1 this year.

mattash
Site Admin

[=== SOC1 (2016-17) ===] -- Schedule/Results/Standings/More

Post by mattash »

Standings (Updated Nov-21)

(0-0) Clay
(0-0) East
(0-0) Eastern
(0-0) Green
(0-0) New Boston
(0-0) Notre Dame
(0-0) Symmes Valley
(0-0) Western

=========================================================================
Schedule/Results

Fri Dec-9
Green @ Symmes Valley
Clay @ Eastern
Western @ East
New Boston @ Notre Dame

Fri Dec-16
Eastern @ Symmes Valley
Green @ Notre Dame
East @ Clay
New Boston @ Western

Sat Dec-17
New Boston @ Eastern

Dec-20
Symmes Valley @ New Boston
Clay @ Green
East @ Eastern
Notre Dame @ Western

Fri Jan-06
Western @ Symmes Valley
Green @ Eastern
Notre Dame @ Clay
New Boston @ East

Tue Jan-10
Symmes Valley @ Notre Dame
East @ Green
Clay @ New Boston
Eastern @ Western

Fri Jan-13
Symmes Valley @ East
New Boston @ Green
Western @ Clay
Notre Dame @ Eastern

Tue Jan-17
Clay @ Symmes Valley
Green @ Western
Notre Dame @ East

Fri Jan-20
Symmes Valley @ Green
Eastern @ Clay
East @ Western
Notre Dame @ New Boston

Tue Jan-24
Symmes Valley @ Eastern
Notre Dame @ Green
Clay @ East
Western @ New Boston

Fri Jan-27
New Boston @ Symmes Valley
Green @ Clay
Eastern @ East
Western @ Notre Dame

Tue Jan-31
Symmes Valley @ Western
Eastern @ Green
East @ New Boston

Wed Feb-1
Clay @ Notre Dame

Fri Feb-03
Notre Dame @ Symmes Valley
Green @ East
New Boston @ Clay
Western @ Eastern

Fri Feb-10
East @ Symmes Valley
Green @ New Boston
Clay @ Western
Eastern @ Notre Dame

Fri Feb-17
Western @ Green
Symmes Valley @ Clay
East @ Notre Dame
Eastern @ New Boston

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
white thunder
Riding the Bench

Re: [=== SOC1 (2016-17) ===] -- Schedule/Results/Standings/More

Post by white thunder »

"Notre Dame is a team to look our for but I do not think they have the fire power to win the league. With maybe their most athletic player moving they will struggle a lot this season moving forward. They did not have a lot of depth to begin with so I would be shocked if they were In the top three of the league."
Who is the player that moved from Notre Dame and where did he go?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

mattash: thanks for the league schedule/standings format. will make things a lot easier around tourney time when trying to compare teams.*

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

white thunder wrote:"Notre Dame is a team to look our for but I do not think they have the fire power to win the league. With maybe their most athletic player moving they will struggle a lot this season moving forward. They did not have a lot of depth to begin with so I would be shocked if they were In the top three of the league."
(Not sure of spelling) Hattachai Buttayote. He moved to Hawaii

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Mailman wrote:
white thunder wrote:"Notre Dame is a team to look our for but I do not think they have the fire power to win the league. With maybe their most athletic player moving they will struggle a lot this season moving forward. They did not have a lot of depth to begin with so I would be shocked if they were In the top three of the league."
(Not sure of spelling) Hattachai Buttayote. He moved to Hawaii
That's a huge loss for ND. With Buttayote (sp?), they compete for league championship. Without him, they probably finish 5th at best. Kid was fun to watch and one of the most athletic players around.*

RetiredLife
Waterboy

Post by RetiredLife »

Clay and East top 2

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Eastern pike has looked good thus far in their 2 scrimmages and foundation game. This eagle team can go deep with 9 maybe 10 guys getting some good playing time and at times all 5 guys on the court scoring when they want. Ethan Leist and Clay Martin are doing their thing scoring points but now have Evan Leist, Mike Miller, Cody Weaver ,Tyler Hale all scoring and making big impact for the Eagles. Defensive ball pressure has been great with teams struggling getting the ball up the floor without turnovers. Gonna be a hard team to beat when they have 5 guys on the floor that can score and play good defense.
Last edited by brown22 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

GO EAGLES
ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Is there any truth to the rumors that some key players in the SOC - I are nursing injuries? I heard that both the Ninze kid (Clay) and Turner kid (ND) have some type of injury. Anybody know anything about this?

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

ItsMyOpinion wrote:Is there any truth to the rumors that some key players in the SOC - I are nursing injuries? I heard that both the Ninze kid (Clay) and Turner kid (ND) have some type of injury. Anybody know anything about this?
Hinze is hurt and I just heard Turner is as well.

GO EAGLES
Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

brown22 wrote:
ItsMyOpinion wrote:Is there any truth to the rumors that some key players in the SOC - I are nursing injuries? I heard that both the Ninze kid (Clay) and Turner kid (ND) have some type of injury. Anybody know anything about this?
Hinze is hurt and I just heard Turner is as well.
Turner is good to go. Could have played in previews but no need to.

Return to “Boys Basketball”