CLAY @ WESTERN

pikemaniac
Waterboy

Re: CLAY @ WESTERN

Post by pikemaniac »

I'll take Western by 10. Very impressed with Smithson in the last game,and if Shanks steps up more tonight underneath than a bigger spread. However, the Western coaches do more cheering during warm ups than I have seen any cheerleading squad do all year long!! Maybe the coaching staff can enter the Holiday Cheer Classic next year and pull out a trophy for team spirit!!! GO INDIANS!

60ft.6in.
Freshman Team

Post by 60ft.6in. »

I don't think I have ever seen Coach Kight give the spirit fingers to the players, I just know he goes out there and gets them ready to play, he doesnt exactly "cheer", therefore I don't think they could compete in a cheerleading competetion.

texas dancer
Riding the Bench

Post by texas dancer »

Final score?

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Western dominated clay tonight western played there bench most of the 4th with amix of 1 or 2 starters till about the 3 min. mark we were up 21 at that point and all the subs played then we won by 14. clay PLAYED HARD THEY WERE JUST OVER MATCHED TONIGHT if western takes care of the ball like they did tonight it could be a long season for the rest of the league but its a long season well have to wait and see.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

What was the score??

60ft.6in.
Freshman Team

Post by 60ft.6in. »

Its just Clay though, we're gonna have to beat MUCH better teams for the season to make a difference this year in the tourny....Need the confidence though....We just need to keep in mind that none of these league games are comparable to the teams that we'll have to play in the tourny.....Good to hear they won though, hopefully they pick it up and win out in the league....

time out
Waterboy

Post by time out »

Western wins big 68-51.better team play

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Sounds like the Indians did a good job guarding Valentine,holding him to 3 points......He had been putting up some impressive numbers.

Brooks Hatlen
Waterboy

Post by Brooks Hatlen »

I thought Clay played pretty well in this game they just couldn't get any open looks to fall. Give credit to Western though, every time Clay made a run they came right back with an easy bucket to kill the momentum. Clay is definitely making progress though, shot selection was better but they just couldn't get them to fall.

rosemount rebel
Freshman Team

Post by rosemount rebel »

3rd quarter troubles again :122246 hey try warming up............come out cold after halftime against western and YOU LOSE! GOOD LUCK TO BOTH TEAMS......

golf_guy23
Waterboy

Post by golf_guy23 »

rosemount rebel wrote:3rd quarter troubles again :122246 hey try warming up............come out cold after halftime against western and YOU LOSE! GOOD LUCK TO BOTH TEAMS......

Unfortunately this wasn't the case on this one. Clay actually came out with a little over 2 minutes left in half-time and actually beat Western out.

rosemount rebel
Freshman Team

Post by rosemount rebel »

good,glad to hear that :-D

Sideliner008
Riding the Bench

Post by Sideliner008 »

ignert1 wrote:Western.....13....19....21....14......65
Clay...........10....13....11....17......51

Clay was overmatched tonight at Western. They were only down 13-10 at the end of the first quarter, which was not bad considering they only hit 1 of their first 7 shots. Cody Bussler hit a three followed up by a T J Mershon three at with 45 seconds left in the quarter to make it an 11 -10 game before Western dropped in an easy bucket at the end of the quarter. Two minutes into the second quarter Clay hit on a nice inbounds play to pull within three points again at 15 -12. With about 3 minutes left in the second quarter Vince Shanks hit hit first three point shot followed up by a three by Penwell to give Western a 25 - 16 nine point margin. Clay was able to keep it at 9 points with a lay-up at the buzzer to make it 32 - 23 at halftime. Western turned up the pressure and played good defense making Clay miss several shots underneath. At the 3:55 mark Western goes up 45 - 30 and Clay goes to a 5 guard offense. Clay was hit with back to back traveling calls trying to break Westerns press, missed three good open looks and the score went to 50 -31, Westerns biggest lead of the night. The teams traded baskets for a few minutes in the fourth running the score to 62 - 42. Both teams emptied their benches and with a three point shot by Cam Caseman the final score ended up Western 65, Clay 51.

Point totals (unofficial)
Clay
Bussler 14
Puckett 11
Mershon 7
Burchett 7
Lawson 4
Valentine 3
Caseman 3
Graham 2

Western
Shanks 19
Penwell 17
Smithson 16
Hall 6
Wesley 2
Wolfer 2
Hemphill 2
#34 1 (sorry they didn't have a program)

I thought Clay played a little tenative. They are a young team with four sophomores getting a lot of starts. They had senior Jacob Crapyou out sick tonight and Gabe Duduit is still out with an injury. Western I am told will be losing 8 seniors after this year.

Western had a good crowd and they have a good time at their games. The announcer made it fun with his introductions. Also they have the best band by far that we have seen all year! Something to be proud of.

Western
Shanks 19
Penwell 17
Smithson 16
Hall 6
Leslie 2
Wolford 2
Hinty 2
#34 1

I really don't know why they don't have programs. They should.....Nice game....I really seen Vince Shanks step up and actually didn't look lazy...I hope he continues..Not sure about who number 34 is!

Return to “Boys Basketball”