ATHENS @ VINTON COUNTY 12/19

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: ATHENS @ VINTON COUNTY 12/19

Post by Raider6309 »

UpperDecker wrote:
RAIDER6309 wrote:Why are you talking s*hit? You're from VC. Athens beat you in football, golf, cross country, volleyball, and tennis.

Thats why I said basketball. If you want to pound your chest about your fantastic cross country team i suggest you go to a different forum.

You didn't state any sport. You said athens should be in the TVC-Hocking. So does that mean VC should play in the small division W.V sports. :lol:

UpperDecker
Waterboy

Post by UpperDecker »

UpperDecker wrote:
Athens welcolme to TVC basketball.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

AC Squared wrote:Great job Vikings! Look forward to another great game Tuesday!

And I hear the popcorn was excellent - as usual!

Welcome to SEOP's AC2. Get out now, while you still have your dignity and sanity, hurry before it is too late. But, first post your "more stupider avatar."

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

UpperDecker wrote:VC was clearly the better team in this one, but hats off to Athens for not giving up. After the 1st quarter I never thought the Vikes were in trouble though. Athens could not stop Prater or a "under the weather Grillo". And for Guthrie not being that good he scored 11 and had to have close to double figuers in rebounds as well. VC is a very balenced team that can hurt you in several different ways. They shouldve won this game by 10-15 easily. The rematch in Athens will be more 1 sided as Coach Combs will have the Vikes more prepared. Way too many fouls and unforced tunovers in this one. But hey 4-0 cant complain too much.

Athens welcolme to TVC basketball.

I love reading your post, they make me laugh. How can VC be the better team if they beat athens by 3. Athens lost that game because they couldn't make a free-throw and VC made all of their free-throws. Also, when Athens took Valentour out of the game, they went from being tied or winning to 15+ down

Larry Dallas
Waterboy

Post by Larry Dallas »

I couldn't sleep a wink thinking about the outcome of this game. Here's my assessment:

Positives:
Both teams fought really hard.

Without a head coach and two coaches running the show without any former playing experience, I thought we outcoached the VC staff.

Vinton got the win tonight, but when you look at their JV and Frosh teams it is easy to see that their reign is coming to an end.

Negatives:
We knew the officiating would be bad, but we had no idea it would be that bad. I cannot believe they called that charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few other good things happened. I thought the fans at VC were more normal than I expected. They are very obese, but extremely cordial. It kind of reminded me of XMAS and big fat St. Nic.

Also, no one got shot. So that's always a plus.

We will see you Vikes on Feb.3 in The Plains. You should expect justice to be carried out at that point.

mcmanisphoto
Waterboy

Post by mcmanisphoto »

Photos are now available online.

Log on to http://www.mcmanisphotography.vpweb.com and click on Basketball then *08 VC vs Athens.

http://www.mcmanisphotography.com domain is not currently working. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Congratulations to the Vikings on another win!

Coach Skinner
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Skinner »

I guess I just like being in the TVC. Rivalry games, close proximity, visiting with old friends. That is all I meant.

UpperDecker
Waterboy

Post by UpperDecker »

Larry Dallas wrote:We knew the officiating would be bad, but we had no idea it would be that bad. I cannot believe they called that charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only reason Athens stayed in this game was because they were in double bonus before the end of the 3rd. VC had 10 fouls in the 3rd quarter alone.

AC Squared
Waterboy

Post by AC Squared »

Thanks, Hawkeye! Still trying to find that "perfect" avatar!

And Larry, you described us to a T! We pride ourselves on being happy AND jolly at this time of year!!

Oh yeah, and we hope you enjoyed the popcorn!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

A very nice win for Vinton County - no matter what is said or how people feel, a win is a win ...

Im just glad I still get to keep my house, my bank account is still secure ... But if any Viking fans would like ot take my girlfriend off my hands, your more than welcome ... :mrgreen:

I was 100% correct, the game was NOT a blowout, so I guess my 'basketball knowledge' , which one poster said was 'suspect' must be fairly o.k.

Plus, if I were Vinton County fans, which I am once the post season begins and the 'league season' is overwith - I would not be bragging and tickled pink about the win Friday ... Athens was led by a coach that had exactly 1/2 game coaching experience Vs Combs who has been coaching for quite some time ... (2) The Athens coach looked as if he removed his uniform after the JV game and put on some drees cloths to coach the varsity game, I swear the guy looked about 15 years old.

(3) Athens is still without one of its most athletic post players, 6-foot-2 Cameron Tope ... He would have more than likely guarded Prater or one of the other post players ... The Bulldogs have yet to have TOPE, VALENTOUR, WATERS AND STANLEY all on the court at one time, which will cause teams big time problems with their size and athletic ability.

(4) Matt Witten fouls out with over 3 minutes to play? He is the Bulldogs big three point threat, which is what is needed down the stretch if Athens is trailing.

(5) Valentour doesn't play the crucial second quarter because of 2 fouls? Maybe coach Mcneal leaves him in if that happens @ Athens.

(6) WATERS & VALENTOUR have yet to be put on the floor at the ame time very much - WATERS has only played in like 2 games I believe - once the two teams meet again, he will be more comfortable in the line-up and will be getting a lot more minutes, hopefully along side VALENTOUR.

Summary - Vinton County beats Athens by 3 points on their home floor, with the Bulldogs minus their HEAD COACH, minus ONE OF ITS BEST ATHLETES (TOPE) and WITTEN & VALENTOUR don't play their normal minutes do to foul trouble.

- The second meeting should be intresting to say the least - and who knows, maybe the 'GRUDGE' match will take place in Wellston at the DIVISION II SECTIONALS.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

AC Squared......like the name, and yes, the popcorn at VC is marvelous....... ;-)

93Bulldog, you bring up some great points. I think Athens will only get better, and to assume that the VC fans think otherwise, would be foolish. Had VC not had a good run in 2nd Qtr and knocked down some clutch free throws late, the Bulldogs would've won.

Larry Dallas.........I'm sure the Athens community is not very proud to have an idiot like you to promote their HS sports. Not only are you completely uninformed, but you're also obnoxious. I know too many good people that support the Bulldogs to even think that you represent their masses......

Feb 3rd oughta be a great game. I hope both teams are healthy for what looks to be another dandy! Best of luck to both teams......

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Larry Dallas wrote:
Negatives:
We knew the officiating would be bad, but we had no idea it would be that bad. I cannot believe they called that charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its called home court advantage! :122245

AC Squared
Waterboy

Post by AC Squared »

I'll agree the coneys are good, but you can't beat the VC popcorn! We're sure it's the best in the state!

And to stay on topic for this thread, the Athens fans (who were cordial and fit!) loved the popcorn and came back numerous times. Even a polite little Athens cheerleader told us how good it was! (Thanks, BTW!)

See everyone Tuesday night!

primetime_08
Waterboy

Post by primetime_08 »

to even think for one minute that vc was out coached friday just shows how ignorant you really are...just look at the stats coaching wise...not to mention great players make great coaches... and combs was pretty darn good in high school...athens is very much improved...and im sure the coaches of the team have a lot to do with that...but we're 4-0 and your 3-1....let the record speak for itsself.....can i get a ah-men!

lil vike supporter
Waterboy

Post by lil vike supporter »

primetime_08 wrote:to even think for one minute that vc was out coached friday just shows how ignorant you really are...just look at the stats coaching wise...not to mention great players make great coaches... and combs was pretty darn good in high school...athens is very much improved...and im sure the coaches of the team have a lot to do with that...but we're 4-0 and your 3-1....let the record speak for itsself.....can i get a ah-men!

You're right. Combs is a pretty good coach. He proved that last season when he worked magic that allowed a scrawny little twerp to set a record for 3 pointers. It's not hard to stand at the 3 point line and shoot wide open shots. Way to live off the talent of Dustin Guthrie.

MOBSTERMAN
Freshman Team

Post by MOBSTERMAN »

I dont know about all that
But it is easier to work inside-out than outside-in

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I was at the Alex-Westfall game last night ... while we are all squabbling with one another, the Spartans are lying and waiting to jump up and kick both VC & Athens AS** ... They don't look like much, don't have a super star or real big man ... but darn do they play good, fast, team basketball and put pressure on you till you crack ... Westfall was undefeated (4-0) and beaten some good teams (Huntington for 1) - (who beat Trimble) ... And Alex just THUMPED em in the second half ... they went from down 10 with 4 minutes to go in the 3rd ... to up 10 with 3 minutes to go in the 4th ... 9 freakin minutes and they took a 10 point defecit and turned into a 10 point lead ... 20 point turnaround in a blink of an eye ...

Basically - Athens AND Vinton need to play better and keep improving after Fridays match-up ... the game is over, we'll see ya on the 3rd of Feb and good luck!

im yur huckleberry
Waterboy

Post by im yur huckleberry »

lil vike supporter wrote:
primetime_08 wrote:to even think for one minute that vc was out coached friday just shows how ignorant you really are...just look at the stats coaching wise...not to mention great players make great coaches... and combs was pretty darn good in high school...athens is very much improved...and im sure the coaches of the team have a lot to do with that...but we're 4-0 and your 3-1....let the record speak for itsself.....can i get a ah-men!

You're right. Combs is a pretty good coach. He proved that last season when he worked magic that allowed a scrawny little twerp to set a record for 3 pointers. It's not hard to stand at the 3 point line and shoot wide open shots. Way to live off the talent of Dustin Guthrie.

What is that supposed to mean LVS? I dont think anyone lived off of Dustin Guthries talent. Every player on that team was talented,including that "scrawny little twerp" that could shoot the jay. Im sure if you asked mr. guthrie himself he would tell you the same thing. All prime time was trying to do was support his former coach and you take personal jabs at him. You can take that kind of attitude to wellston with the rest of the haters. Primetime. ah-men! Still undefeated

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Larry Dallas wrote:I couldn't sleep a wink thinking about the outcome of this game. Here's my assessment:

Positives:
Both teams fought really hard.

Without a head coach and two coaches running the show without any former playing experience, I thought we outcoached the VC staff.

Vinton got the win tonight, but when you look at their JV and Frosh teams it is easy to see that their reign is coming to an end.

Negatives:

A few other good things happened. I thought the fans at VC were more normal than I expected. They are very obese, but extremely cordial. It kind of reminded me of XMAS and big fat St. Nic.

Also, no one got shot. So that's always a plus.

We will see you Vikes on Feb.3 in The Plains. You should expect justice to be carried out at that point.

If we are going to be that blunt and RUDE, let me point out that Athens was NOT with out their head coach during the first half, he was VERY active in the coaching of that team!!! Better watch out!!! :oops:

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Seen em all Bulldog. The title belongs to VC until somebody knocks them off. But I believe the title runs thru Albany, Shade, and New Marshfield this year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”