12-30 - Chesapeake (5-1) @ Ironton (7-0)

moose
Varsity

Re: 12-30 - Chesapeake (5-1) @ Ironton (7-0)

Post by moose »

[quote="Chesapeake"]I edited this pic before I found out Oak Hill played at Rock Hill tonight but it looks like Norm Persin in the crowd.

Pic via Herald Dispatch.

Norm only dreams of being that :shock: handsome.

That's moose. Women love the grey chest hair.

FHSstudentsection
Freshman Team

Post by FHSstudentsection »

r he had yelled at the ref saying " that was a F'n foul" then came to lafon and said this is Fn BS and slapped the chair. lafon turned to him and said you just earned you a spot on the bench. he sat the entire second half of the game.

tigers could of used him! great game to watch!!

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

Have to respect a coach for doing the right thing.

SE Wild Child
Waterboy

Post by SE Wild Child »

ref should have t'ed him up

freethrow25
Riding the Bench

Post by freethrow25 »

buckcc wrote:i know this has nothing to do with your guys game against each other Ironton vs Chesapeake, but just wanted let the Ironton fans know our D-4 Berlin Hiland Hawks beat Col.Brookhaven tonight 67-49 in our first federal holiday tour. in the first game it was Dayton Dunbar 77 beat Mass.Perry 57 just thought i let u guys down in southeastern ohio about our game tonight.
Awesome games! Setting up to be another great tourney year!

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

didn't he do something similar last year against manchester? not many colleges will be interested in him if he gets a bad reputation.

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

I totally understand Carter's frustration but I agree with Lafon's decision if indeed he was cursing.

Fans from both sides have to agree that the ref's just "let em play" until the last half of the 4th quarter. Neither team got anywhere near the bonus in the first half and at the 5:55 mark of the 4th quarter, I remember there were only 2 team fouls each in what was a VERY physical game.

Carter and all the player's had to be frustrated at the lack of whistles, but Carter chose to show too much emotion.

Congrats to Peake and excellent call by LaFon.

0 for Monday
Waterboy

Post by 0 for Monday »

That was a great game played by two of the best teams in the area. Very impressed with the team ball chesapeake played. Fletcher from Ironton is a beast. Also, when carter was in, Patrick Hintz played on him extremely well. Carter made a few tough shots, but Hintz was there to contest every one of them. I feel he is one of the better defenders in the area.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

sportsfan_1959 wrote:Have to respect a coach for doing the right thing.
I respect a coach even more if he sets a good example for his players and doesn't cuss himself for everybody in the stnads to hear. just saying!

Chesapeake
JV Team

Post by Chesapeake »

From the Herald Dispatch: Carter, who missed Ironton's win over Brooke Pointe (Va.) in the Ironton Classic because of an ankle injury, got all his points in the first half. The ankle bothered him in the second half and he stayed on the bench.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/h ... -to-Tigers

unclebob
JV Team

Post by unclebob »

Chesapeake wrote:From the Herald Dispatch: Carter, who missed Ironton's win over Brooke Pointe (Va.) in the Ironton Classic because of an ankle injury, got all his points in the first half. The ankle bothered him in the second half and he stayed on the bench.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/h ... -to-Tigers
Just because it is in written in the paper doesn't mean it is the truth. Newpapers and the internet print lies every single day! :122249

cows and chickuns
Varsity

Post by cows and chickuns »

I know this is an old topic, but I was always taught that you lead by example. Does this not apply to coaches as well? Taking Carter out of the game cost Ironton this one. Maybe if he doesn't want his players cussing and yelling like idiots he should take his own advice and do the same. :roll: :roll:

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I think you are bringing up a good point but honestly in the coaching profession you are going to be hard pressed to find a coach who doesn't curse. I played for Norm Persin and as I am sure all of you know he cursed, but his players were expected not to.

I think what Coach Lafon did was an excellent opportunity for the young man to learn a lesson and he did the right thing. Should coaches lead by example and not curse, well yes, but they are grown adults and like it or not probably will curse. The lesson that this young man will learn is one of sportsmanship. During times of adversity you need to keep your cool, and regardless of if the coach curses or not, the student-athlete should not.

I am sure there is probably a policy in place or team rule stating that cursing is unacceptable and I am sure the young man and his parent signed it.

If someone feels there is a problem with the coach cursing then that is what your athletic director is there for, let it be known that you are not happy about it, it is your right as a stake holder in the program. If you don't want to talk to the AD (who is the coach) then make an appointment to speak to the principal.

What Coach Lafon did regardless of what you think of him was absolutely the right thing to do. Life lessons mean way more then winning a basketball game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”