A PARENTS PROBLEM

Lightle04
SE

A PARENTS PROBLEM

Post by Lightle04 »

IS IT BETTER FOR A CHILD WITH COLLEGE DREAMS IN BASKETBALL TO PLAY AT SCHOOL WHERE HE CAN GET 12 TO15 SHOTS A GAME BUT MAYBE ONLY 10 WINS OR 5 TO 10 SHOTS AND 14 TO 16 WINS

claypantherfan
All State

Re: A PARENTS PROBLEM

Post by claypantherfan »

I say let the kid choose, he will play better where he wants to be at.
Last edited by claypantherfan on Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jumpshot
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumpshot »

As the parent of a DI basketball player, I don't think either record that you mention is really that outstanding to attract attention. So, go wherever.
I think AAU is a better venue to really show the shooting power. Most college coaches never see many high school players b/c the AAU programs offer more hard-core b-ball player exposure for the weekend buck. If the kid is a shooter, he needs to get the ball in the position where he shoots best, and often. If that doesn't happen in high school, maybe he isn't really a shooter???? Maybe he could contribute with outstanding rebounding or ballhandling and be a pretty good shooter? Ball hogs or those who shoot it every time, often get knocked for just that reason, unless they are someone with obvious talent, like OJ. Stats matter, but they only need to be respectable, esp. for the 11th grade year, and only if the team makes it to the state or maybe regionals.
Save the individual play for the individual venue, camps and summer programs. Coaches are also very interested in size, position,athleticism and court IQ, which means getting Others the ball when they should have it, playing D, and seeing the court. Finally, one of the most important factors of all...GRADES and ACT/ SAT scores can wreck a potential much faster than they ever think! Just one red flag can cause coaches to shy away from most prospects, b/c they don't want to risk wasting money, if they run a quality program. Of course, some are willing to look the other way and take a chance if the player is 6'9" or more, but not those coaches in top drawer programs. They get the best 6'9's anyway and don't have to gamble.
So, in short, I think high school programs are not really recruiting grounds anyway, so I am not sure it matters.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

^^^I can't top that answer^^^. Every parent with such 'dreams' should read it. It is how it really works.

But I will say that a child with TRUE college potential will get enough shots in any good program to get recognized. If they are not good enough to be a force at the high school level on most ANY team, they won't be playing at a DI college anyway.

Maybe someone needs to have a more realistic view of the child's talent or at least be looking to see if the kid can work hard enough to get better to the point where they do have a realistic chance of recruitment. Maybe the 'tougher' program will get them there with the training and 'better coaching'.

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

Tell your child to shoot the lights out of the ball every time he touches it...................The other part to this is you better be ready to pay for his college......You sound like a parent who isn't concerned if they win 1 or the state ,as long as your child is the one that is looked at as the the one who won the one game or the one who won the state!Back off let the kid play,if he is good enough he will be seen nomatter wher he plays................back off is the best advice that you can get!

CAT@MOUSEBBBALL
Waterboy

Post by CAT@MOUSEBBBALL »

LIGHTLE04, If your kid can play ,any coach will put the kid in position to help the team win.If he can shoot and put up pts,the coach will let him to is thing.The coach job is to win baskertball games.I hope your not one of those parents counting shots,college coaches are looking for a allaround game ,good attitude for winning at all cost...

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

If your good,they will find you!!!!!!!!!!!

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

hey thanks for the advise guys im going to take it to heart i get a little paraniod all my son talks about is ball 24 7 buging me to go play year round so we do i just want to do the best i can for him to have as much succses as possible this was his first year of aau snd it was a tremendus learning experiance for him and and showed him a little of what it takes to excell at the sport an all around game and his head in the books

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

Post by thecinderellapick »

lightle04,
i think what h.s. he goes to makes a difference. a bigger, more well known school is going to attract more scouts. and more scouts= more oppourtunitys for your kid. the school's previous records in that particular sport and the strength of the league makes a difference too. imo. you have a kid at western?

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

yes i do the oldest has anouther kid in his class thats pretty good but the rest of the class at this point just dont seem to be motivated to improve they went all summer with very little showing up for any open gyms basicly my kid the other boy a few younger kids only help in sight for the next few years unless some change there mind about the sport is a SHANKS boy aRIGGS kid and a BREWSTER boy all three 2 grades younger my sonand the other boy in his grade work there butts of year round to improve open gyms,summercamps,doing drills at home hammering there school work just wish more kids were doing the same in there class instead of loafing all summer and then the parents raising caine when the team struggles to win basketball is a team sport a team is only as good as its weakest player imo

Yossarian
Freshman Team

Post by Yossarian »

Captain Jack wrote:Play basketball at the school whose district you live in. Go to college to get a degree to prepare you for a future occupation.

If the talent is there they will find them. Sports can be the icing on the cake and loyalty to your school will be remembered.

JabbatheDel
Riding the Bench

Post by JabbatheDel »

Hold him back until he's a 15 year old 7th grader then transfer him to a private school.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

thats not possible my son has a 129 IQ and is in L.E.A.D. for the so called gifted children.Hes still just a knot head but holding hin back with the gpa he has would get me shot i mean his grades will get fim further in life i think than ball will

JabbatheDel
Riding the Bench

Post by JabbatheDel »

Sounds like you answered your own question....

Maybe he should walk on at Dartmouth or somewhere like that.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

how about harvard or yale! i guess its just to early realy to worry about it.im just going to let him play and hope it all works out for him.send him to camps and the showcases and hope a college is interested when he gets older. thanks every one!!

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Post by ZvilleBlueDevil »

Captain Jack wrote:Play basketball at the school whose district you live in. Go to college to get a degree to prepare you for a future occupation.

Right on Captain...... :122249

vikefan
Freshman Team

Post by vikefan »

Approx. less than 5% of High School athletes make the transition to collegiate level competition...of those, less than 1% go on to play professionally. But what the heck, entertain offers from rival High School programs, alienate the community you grew up in, ignore OHSAA rules and live for the moment. Who knows, you may just make it big but in the better than great chance you don't... at least you will have lived for yourself.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

let me be clear theres been no offers from rival schools i myself went to a different school than my children attend now but they attended my school when they were younger and know one said anything about ignoreing the OHSAA rules there is open enrolement i am just getting thoughts on the matter its just a thread VIKEFAN my kids are young just trying to get opinions from parents with older kids who may have experience in the matter

Return to “Boys Basketball”