Post by underthemound »

Warren-35
Marietta- 32
End of the 3rd.

underthemound
Freshman Team

Re: Marietta @ Warren 1-17

Post by underthemound »

39-37. Tigers are up. 2 minutes remaining.

el savior
Freshman Team

Post by el savior »

Warren 44-39 final.

underthemound
Freshman Team

Post by underthemound »

Warren got ALL they could handle from the tigers. Great game, great atmosphere. Rematch should be a dandy!

slimgarrett
Waterboy

Post by slimgarrett »

Warrior turnover, after turnover, after turnover. They really need to work on this. Traveling is something you learned not to do in third and fourth grade. The team I saw play tonight has no chance of beating Portsmouth again let alone Chilli. I'll give Marietta credit where credits due. They were down almost 15 points and kicked it in gear. Warren got this win by the skin of their teeth. They better shape up with the turnovers or come tournament time they will be out early.

waggle
Waterboy

Post by waggle »

Great game for both teams... Love it when they meet cant wait for the rematch in marietta

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

This could be a wake-up call for them, if they see it. I BLEED BLUE. Go Warriors!

FatCharlie
Riding the Bench

Post by FatCharlie »

First Quarter Officiating...

Warrior in WV
Waterboy

Post by Warrior in WV »

Warren haters don't get excited! This is a huge rivalry game and you can throw their records out whenever they play. These boys have been playing against or with each other since they were 8 years old! Look forward to a possible sectional / district match-up on a neutral floor. Could go either way!

pressboxchamp
Riding the Bench

Post by pressboxchamp »

Anyone who thought this would be a blowout doesn't know this rivalry. Both teams played well and made their mistakes.

BearcatNation2334
Waterboy

Post by BearcatNation2334 »

I'm just glad I got to watch the Jon Diebler of southeast ohio put on a clinic from three tonight.

Excoach78
Freshman Team

Post by Excoach78 »

Both team playrd a hard physical game and left it on the floor. Every shot was contested and every loose ball on the floor was like a fumble in football. Bodies flying all over the place!

Marietta stayed in this game by pounding the GLASS. 12 offensive rebounds, 12 defensive. They took more shots from the field but could not get them to fall when needed.
They gave a great effort.

The Warriors played just as hard and made more of their shots with fewer attemps. Down the stretch they came up with the turnovers when they needed it, and scored. They just keep finding ways to WIN and thats all that counts. Thats what makes a good team better.

This was a true rivalry game. Complete with great fans from both schools; that makes for a great atmosphere. Great game!!

What a rematch the next game will be at Marietta!!!!!!!

The Warren JV won tonight, score 48 to 29.

EasternDscout
Riding the Bench

Post by EasternDscout »

May I point out, regarding the JV score, that Warren had 4 juniors on the floor at the same time for over half the game.

slimgarrett
Waterboy

Post by slimgarrett »

EasternDscout wrote:May I point out, regarding the JV score, that Warren had 4 juniors on the floor at the same time for over half the game.
Big deal....only 1 of those boys got in the Varsity game and that was just a couple minutes at most. I don't blame these boys for taking the opportunity to get some playing time. Most kids would take the easy way out and say I'm not going to play if I have to play JV. I commend them for doing what they're doing. The JV would've won with or without them. Duckworth has a way of bringing out the best in his young men. By the way I don't believe it was half the game either...

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Same story as the games between the two last season at Marietta and at Logan, Warren still holds the effective trump card, their most intense level of aggressive defense at crunch time!

Marietta lost the opportunity early to get any kind of working margin as they missed their first 3 FG attempts, two bunnies and an open trey, while Warren made all 3 of their first 3 FG attempts, also two bunnies and a trey that wasn't quite as wide open. That continued as Marietta didn't get a FG until it was 16-2 with Warren's 16 points all coming on FGs. But give Marietta credit for making it a very interesting, exciting game by getting back into it in the 2nd qtr, with a 21-7 run to tie it at half.

Marietta was not able to open up a working margin in the 3rd qtr in spite of several opportunities. They had too many missed shots from good offensive positions, fumbled balls in good offensive positions, too quick ill advised shots, un-forced turnovers, and phantom walking calls. But they were still in the game at a 3 point deficit at the end of the qtr.

Then in the 4th, Grosel nailed a trey to give the Tigers a 2 point lead with 2:30 remaining. The problem was Warren had just one team foul in the half and you knew the defensive onslaught was about to begin. The Tigers did well for a bit having two possessions with the two point lead but could convert neither. On the 2nd one the game turned on an in-bounds pass from half court that was stolen and went for an old fashioned 3 point play to give Warren the lead. Then after Marietta was at the one point deficit, a pass down into a good offensive position was stolen on a play a foul could well have been called, and then Warren went on to extend the lead from there for the win. Both steals resulted from passes that could have been a little more crisp, and most especially because the pass receiver did not go strong to the ball. Knowing the Warren defense and that they have several fouls to give before they are shooting fouls, you have to know they are going to try to steal every pass and have to go strong to the ball in the air.

Snowman79
Riding the Bench

Post by Snowman79 »

Didn't finish it out is sample as I can put what cost the Tigers. After the 3 losses you'd imagine they wouldn't let this kind of thing as fumbled balls, careless passes cost them.
Great game for both and hope we see another good once son. They've got to break this streak!!

orange&black
Waterboy

Post by orange&black »

The Tigers can be very proud of their hard fought effort last night! Kudos for making a comeback after the deficit at end of 1st qrtr. Reading comments on here from prior to the game, I don't think most people expected that close of a game. Isn't Warren ranked pretty high in State rankings.

ssbball
Freshman Team

Post by ssbball »

BudmakesmeWeiser wrote:I'm just glad I got to watch the Jon Diebler of southeast ohio put on a clinic from three tonight.
Who are you referring to being Diebler?

Great game. Marietta battled thru a rough night at times to be there with a chance to win it. Congrats to Warriors.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

ssbball wrote:
BudmakesmeWeiser wrote:I'm just glad I got to watch the Jon Diebler of southeast ohio put on a clinic from three tonight.
Who are you referring to being Diebler?

Great game. Marietta battled thru a rough night at times to be there with a chance to win it. Congrats to Warriors.

Thought everyone on here got that one......Evan French????

orange&black
Waterboy

Post by orange&black »

The Tigers can be very proud of their efforts last night. After their dismal start, they didn't back down and fought the fight. Kudos! I think there were some surprised Warrior fans and players..aren't they pretty high in the state ranking?

I got the "Diebler reference" budmakesmeweiser. Definitely an off night for him.

Return to “Boys Basketball”