Federal Hocking 08-09

g w mclintock
All State

Re: FEDERAL HOCKING BASKETBALL 08-09

Post by g w mclintock »

tazman wrote:I will also take this time to agree with Friday Nites and disagree with GW. The coaching the past couple of years at Fed are great for winning but horrible for building a program. Anyone should know that! OPEN YOUR EYES... its pathetic!

Taz- I respect your opinion but perhaps you could clarify "pathetic".

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

16-4 (or was it 17-3) with a TVC Hocking title, a year after one of the best classes in FH basketball history graduated.

I hope people hold themselves to the same standard of pathetic. There should be some awfully successful people on this board.

FridayNites
Waterboy

Post by FridayNites »

G W McLintock wrote:
tazman wrote:I will also take this time to agree with Friday Nites and disagree with GW. The coaching the past couple of years at Fed are great for winning but horrible for building a program. Anyone should know that! OPEN YOUR EYES... its pathetic!

Taz- I respect your opinion but perhaps you could clarify "pathetic".

GW I'm with you on the term pathetic. But I wonder if the context is correct.
Taz are you referring to team coaching or program building?

I've seen many a kid sit the varsity bench when they should have been playing alot more jv ball. But this also happens at many schools including the college ranks.

Last year for example Fed should have played Stanley at least 8 minutes per game, EVERY game.
When he was in there he was typically very productive on the boards and points. The Day boy was in the same position as a sophmore and junior. Don't get me wrong, both Vales and Butcher and there assts. had great teams. I just think they could have been even better.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Second guessing is very easy. I'm not so sure that this would be a productive conversation going forward. New coach, new philosophy, let's give him a chance, and quit second guessing the decisions that were made by the former coaching staff.

I believe that those kids who have worked their butts off during the off season will be given a great opportunity to make a difference in Fed Hock's season. If there are kids out there who feel that they can just show up and get a spot, I'm guessing that they are in for a very rude awakening.........JMHO..........for what that is worth.

JayKay
Riding the Bench

Post by JayKay »

I don't think any player expects to just show up and get a spot. I don't think anyone here has insinuated that's expected either. This group of young men (from what I hear) are working hard during the off season to be competitive and improve their skills. I heard thru the grapevine that two juniors are participating in a fall league in Parkersburg. Not sure of the specifics though.

I think that Friday and Taz are just pointing out that it might have been an easier transition for Coach E if the younger players had seen more quality varsity time last year (when the opportunity arose to work them in)? I know that was my intent in taking about substitution and letting less skilled players have JV time. It is about building a program, building skills. No one here is taking anything from former coaching staff. I look forward to watching this group of young men play ball this year. I think the talent is there for a great team.

Catch One
Freshman Team

Post by Catch One »

The 2 from FH that is playing in P-Burg is Thompson & Williams,
The Thompson boy has not changed much from when he was younger, nice player, hard to stop & makes things happen.
The Williams boy has really improved from when i saw him play last year. He is playing really good against these teams in P-Burg.
As Far as the previous coaches for FH. They done a outstanding job. 15 Wins or more a year, most schools would love to have that, know matter how many kids they play per game. This is high school,
I know we say the kids need varsity experience, but they must be doing something right to have winning seasons year after year.
Good Luck to the Lancers and your new coach.

JayKay
Riding the Bench

Post by JayKay »

CatchOne - You're absolutely right. It is high school and teams play to win - as they should. But, when a team is ahead by 20-30, you can and should be subbing. If a kid is good enough to sit on the varsity bench, he should be worked in for quality time, when the opportunity arises. If a player isn't, then he should be JV. I'm not saying you sub a ton when you're behind or in a close game, if those on the hardwood are doing the job. Age (grade) should have nothing to do with it. The best players should play, in my opinion. I'm not specifically talking about just Fed Hock here.

CAT@MOUSEBBBALL
Waterboy

Post by CAT@MOUSEBBBALL »

A lot of complaining about a program that has been very succesfull over the last 5 years.A varsity coach is responsible for winning games and developing players.Every year the goal is to have a 7-8 man rotation he can depend on.If your a junior and not in the rotation,you should play jv only if your going to be in the plans for the following season.If your not going to be,you shouldn't take minutes from younger players that will be in the rotation down the road.

JayKay
Riding the Bench

Post by JayKay »

Complaining? No. It's just a different point of view regarding building programs. As I stated in the last post - it isn't about just FH either. It's theoretical.

bullfrog
Waterboy

Post by bullfrog »

sorry
Last edited by bullfrog on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayKay
Riding the Bench

Post by JayKay »

Bullfrog - Phillip moved to Athens this year after the tragic death in his family. Our thoughts continue to be with his family. This wasn't funny.

IMK01
Riding the Bench

Post by IMK01 »

bullfrog - you need to remove your post - it is definitely not funny...

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Wow we at Athens would love to have the success that Federal has had on the hardwood floor. Last year they won 16 or 17 games, chadwell and garrett and tates senior year they won 18 and the year before 15 or 16 and in 05 with butcher thompson vales hornsby they won 19 with the first sectional win in 10 years with the 19 wins giving them a tie for the school record with the team from 70 or 71 with Danny Hall jr chuck robinson and that gang. Athens will take all of that right now please. Also they would be happy to have either one of the previous coaches. Sounds like some ones kid didn't get to play much. From what I hear about coach E that will be the same. He plays to win and those who work hard in practice will see the most time. I'm saying at least 13 o 14 wins for the lancers this year. That's down for them but a dream season for some teams in the area.

FridayNites
Waterboy

Post by FridayNites »

CAT@MOUSEBBBALL wrote:.........Every year the goal is to have a 7-8 man rotation he can depend on.If your a junior and not in the rotation,you should play jv only if your going to be in the plans for the following season.If your not going to be,you shouldn't take minutes from younger players that will be in the rotation down the road.

Cat you are right, and I think that is where everyone else is coming from, at least I for one. Last season we seen a number of our sophmores that will be vital to FH's sucess this season ride the pine in both jv and varsity games and one jr. on the varsity side only. I am not saying they didnt play, only that they didnt get the quality minutes that they need to develope. With the success that Fed has enjoyed many times have been available to get quality minutes out of kids vs. a run the second string in because they are so far ahead or behind mentality, that so many schools secumb to.

JayKay
Riding the Bench

Post by JayKay »

[i]Sounds like some ones kid didn't get to play much.[/i]

No, that is not it. You missed the point completely, so it's a waste of time to explain to you again.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Wow. Tough crowd...

Catch One
Freshman Team

Post by Catch One »

15 + wins a year playing 6 or 7 kids, as a school and a coach I would take that.
Yea you would like to see more kids play, but... Thats High School!!!!!
I see a 15 + win season agian for the Lancers. Good coaches and lots of talent.
Good Luck Lancers.

swish
Waterboy

Post by swish »

PLAYERS ARE MADE IN THE OFF SEASON, USUALLY IF YOU WORK HARD ENOUGH IN THE OFF SEASON THE MINUTES WILL COME TO YOU. IF YOU WAIT FOR THE SEASON FOR DEVELOPMENT, ITS VERY HARD TO GET THAT TO WORK AND THE TEAM TO WIN. IMO

CAT@MOUSEBBBALL
Waterboy

Post by CAT@MOUSEBBBALL »

swish wrote:PLAYERS ARE MADE IN THE OFF SEASON, USUALLY IF YOU WORK HARD ENOUGH IN THE OFF SEASON THE MINUTES WILL COME TO YOU. IF YOU WAIT FOR THE SEASON FOR DEVELOPMENT, ITS VERY HARD TO GET THAT TO WORK AND THE TEAM TO WIN. IMO
"THE HARDIER YOU WORK,THE LUCKIER YOU GET"

Catch One
Freshman Team

Post by Catch One »

So, how is open gym? How is coach E and the kids getting along?
Who is the JV coach and his asst, coaches?
Last, How are the kids looking?

Return to “Boys Basketball”