Burg Freshman

Da man
Riding the Bench

Re: Burg Freshman

Post by Da man »

Wouldnt it be embarrassing to be 20 in high school? Even turning 19 before christmas break. Nobody was 19 in high school when i was there.

olegoat50
Freshman Team

Post by olegoat50 »

these parents don't care that their kid is 20 when they graduate only that they get pats on the back from fans telling them how great their kid is against kids younger than them...it's about the parents getting attention..not the kid....They should force parents who hold kids back a grade for sports to home School them that year...Why should state and Teachers be forced to waste their money and time on a kid who passed that grade...It's bull crap....

olegoat50
Freshman Team

Post by olegoat50 »

Most kids were 17 and 18 when I graduated....Todays society is so messed up with their prioritys..School is for education... I love sports....I would have been steamed if my parents held me back a year just to gain an advantage and make me look better than I was....Stop and think about it...These kids aren't getting an extra year to play..Their getting an extra year of age which makes a big difference at 14 15 years old.... you can only play 4 years in Ohio....

olegoat50
Freshman Team

Post by olegoat50 »

I'm done with this...You people make all the excuses you can about holding a kid back for sports...It comes down to 1 reason... It's about Mom or Dad listening to people telling them to do this u have a superstar he just needs to mature ayear to be able to dominate younger kids in his grade....lol it's an epidemic that needs to be stopped now...Can't believe the state hasn't stopped this crap........I do love watching parents who do this....I'd rather watch them than the game..Really funny when their child gets dominated by a younger pup!! lol

fred_flinstone
Freshman Team

Post by fred_flinstone »

goat get your crap straight and stick to the topics or create your own topic. The OHSAA not OSHA has implemented rules in the last two years.
As a player enters 7th grade he/she only has two years of middle school eligibility.
Also a player will lose a year of eligibility in high school if he or she turns a certain age before a certain date.
Being held back for sports is becoming a thing of the past. OHSAA is doing things to control it. Also Tanner Holden is not a hold back!

Falconfan14
Riding the Bench

Post by Falconfan14 »

held back v. start late. Maybe he wasn't "held back" but don't believe he was born between 10/1/2000 and 9/30/2001.

Dunn97
Riding the Bench

Post by Dunn97 »

I am not sure where the "for a freshman to have to be born between 10/1/2000 and 9/30/2001 to be a true freshman" came from. At Western to enter into Kindergarden they have to be 5 years of age by August 1 to enter school. My son was born on 8/11/2000, just 10 days shy of the deadline and we had to wait another year to put him into K. That meant he was almost a year older than most his classmates and now that he is a Freshman, he was 15 before school even started this year. He is a true freshman and though he is an athlete and taller than most kids his age, we didn't hold him back for any other reason than school policy. Maybe other schools have this same age policy and this is why we have older Freshman. And the Burg Freshman is a beast, we played them in a Portsmouth West Tourney about 3 years ago in a Youth League tournament, he was amazing then. I also agree that through each level (Jr Hi, HS, and College) it just gets tougher, the competition gets tougher. You can't measure how a kid is going to be until they are there and proving it. Hard work makes for an exciting basketball season.

Buramgerdin
Freshman Team

Post by Buramgerdin »

Holden is not as old as many Frosh he is competing against, especially the Ironton kids who are all hold backs. In 4 years he will be the only D1 player as he is the only one that will be tall enough and have the build.

olegoat50
Freshman Team

Post by olegoat50 »

I hope the kid does well.........Not many make it to D1 from this area......

Falconfan14
Riding the Bench

Post by Falconfan14 »

[
quote="Dunn97"]I am not sure where the "for a freshman to have to be born between 10/1/2000 and 9/30/2001 to be a true freshman" came from. At Western to enter into Kindergarden they have to be 5 years of age by August 1 to enter school. My son was born on 8/11/2000, just 10 days shy of the deadline and we had to wait another year to put him into K. That meant he was almost a year older than most his classmates and now that he is a Freshman, he was 15 before school even started this year. He is a true freshman and though he is an athlete and taller than most kids his age, we didn't hold him back for any other reason than school policy. Maybe other schools have this same age policy and this is why we have older Freshman. And the Burg Freshman is a beast, we played them in a Portsmouth West Tourney about 3 years ago in a Youth League tournament, he was amazing then. I also agree that through each level (Jr Hi, HS, and College) it just gets tougher, the competition gets tougher. You can't measure how a kid is going to be until they are there and proving it. Hard work makes for an exciting basketball season.
from ODE
Beginning with the 2001 school year, school district boards may choose to adopt either the first day of August or the thirtieth day of September as the date by which a child must be 5 years of age to be admitted to kindergarten, and 6 years of age to be admitted to first grade.
Ok I did not realize Districts had the option to use the August 1st date. Still that would only be 60 days difference not the 2 1/2 years that could be the difference between kids in the same grade and still be eligible to play. In my opinion your son is not a true freshman. He still could have went to school a year earlier based on the ODE guidelines. Anyway it doesn't really matter. I guess this was to be about Burg freshmen and there is no doubt their best freshman will probably be one of the best players to ever come out of this area if he continues to develop- no matter what his date of birth.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I've never had a problem with it. You give your kids the best chance to be successful. That's your job.

I don't think Wheelersburg has their kids repeat grades. But they are older. Older is usually more mentally and physically mature. A friend and I were talking a few weeks back. He told me that he is friends of the family with a junior football player at burg. The boy is 6 days younger than his daughter whom is a freshmen in college.

At wheelersburg it is the Pre-K and/or Pre-1st programs they have. I would love to hear a wheelersburg fan elaborate on these.

West had a class a few years back that won the SOCII. 4 of them had been held back in 8th grade. Their was such a stink about it from other schools that the BOE set guidelines that make it basically impossible for a parent to hold a kid back without a doctor. This is wrong. They are your children. West has lost a couple really good athletes because of this rule. Other schools let them repeat grades so they changed schools.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

Buramgerdin wrote:Holden is not as old as many Frosh he is competing against, especially the Ironton kids who are all hold backs. In 4 years he will be the only D1 player as he is the only one that will be tall enough and have the build.
Might want to check your information, I know he is older than the two wilson boys. They are both summer birthdays, born six days apart and would have graduated at 17 if they started any earlier, now they will actually graduate as 18 year olds. Not that I feel this should even be a topic, but when someone posts something they should know their facts. There are numerous kids throughout southern Ohio who are freshmen that are outstanding athletes. Only time will tell who is going to stand out. Most of these kids have all played against each other and know each other well. OHSAA made rules for a reason. If they said you could only be 17 when you graduate and these kids were going to be 19 I could see people saying it was dumb. As long as it's within the rules, someone has proven it to be the right thing for some kids or they wouldn't allow it.

Buramgerdin
Freshman Team

Post by Buramgerdin »

Either way, the Holden kid is the only one I see with D1 potential as he will be the only one with the body. Most of the Ironton kids have peaked because they matured earlier than the other kids with exception to maybe the Bryant kid who may grow some more. Bryant might be college material but probably smaller college based off of Fletcher and Carter. Holden has an upside because he has all of the tools and the body. Some of the Ironton kids had success in the paint because they were 5'10" playing against kids that had not hit puberty yet and were 5'6". Holden will be a 6'6" guard in high school and some of the kids that had success in middle school at 5'10" will find it hard sledding in the paint in high school at 5'11".

The May kid from Ashland is going to be a good one and may have college potential as the KY kids play more games and get the equivalent of one extra year vs Ohio kids, one reason colleges recruit KY more than Ohio. A kid from Elliott Co is also really good but may not have the size, but he is a guard and will play small college most likely.

Hard to really tell as some kids mature late which is a better situation than the kids that mature early and never learn to jump. Kids that mature late historically have turned out to be better high school players.

IBTT
All Conference

Post by IBTT »

I believe many of these players have a future in other sports as far as scholarships and college ball go. I have heard that the kid from Ashland is a dandy and have seen the Elliot kid. Very good athlete, should be fun to watch all of the kids grow up and see them play. I believe this area will have very competitive teams over the next four years.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Buramgerdin wrote:Either way, the Holden kid is the only one I see with D1 potential as he will be the only one with the body. Most of the Ironton kids have peaked because they matured earlier than the other kids with exception to maybe the Bryant kid who may grow some more. Bryant might be college material but probably smaller college based off of Fletcher and Carter. Holden has an upside because he has all of the tools and the body. Some of the Ironton kids had success in the paint because they were 5'10" playing against kids that had not hit puberty yet and were 5'6". Holden will be a 6'6" guard in high school and some of the kids that had success in middle school at 5'10" will find it hard sledding in the paint in high school at 5'11".

The May kid from Ashland is going to be a good one and may have college potential as the KY kids play more games and get the equivalent of one extra year vs Ohio kids, one reason colleges recruit KY more than Ohio. A kid from Elliott Co is also really good but may not have the size, but he is a guard and will play small college most likely.

Hard to really tell as some kids mature late which is a better situation than the kids that mature early and never learn to jump. Kids that mature late historically have turned out to be better high school players.
Exactly. Holden kid is still not done growing and judging by his dad, should end up 6'6" or so. Unless these other kids get to 6'4" or better, they won't sniff D1. If they are bigs, probably 6'7" or better. Been a lot of great players around here over the years who end up NAIA or D2 because they are undersized.*

BURGerandfries
Waterboy

Post by BURGerandfries »

I just think that we need Holden to save our basketball program. It's been in shambles ever since we got rid of Barrick. Football and Baseball are the only thing that this town seems to support. Idk if our current coach is the answer or can make the difference, but I know having a player like Tanner can maybe turn things around for the basketball program. Everything is better when the basketball program is at the top too.

12gauge
Freshman Team

Post by 12gauge »

Who cares if he's a "true" freshman.There arent any redshirts/greyshirts,The kid is a Freshman,that makes him a true freshman.There are rules on this and as long as he's within those rules he's good to go.

SHACFan
Freshman Team

Post by SHACFan »

Hasn't the current coach had them in the district tournament the past 3-4 years? Also with much less talent then they had the previous 10 years or so?

BURGerandfries
Waterboy

Post by BURGerandfries »

SHACFan wrote:Hasn't the current coach had them in the district tournament the past 3-4 years? Also with much less talent then they had the previous 10 years or so?
Football and Baseball make it OUT OF DISTRICTS every year. Maybe years ago District Tourney was good enough. It isn't anymore. We expect to be there. Current coach can't get kids to play. Only 4 parents showed up to a parent meeting for 8th grade basketball bc it's just not interesting enough. It's not baseball or football. That's the problem. People just aren't excited or care about Basketball. Hoping the Holden boy and his dad can redeem the basketball program

SHACFan
Freshman Team

Post by SHACFan »

BURGerandfries wrote:
SHACFan wrote:Hasn't the current coach had them in the district tournament the past 3-4 years? Also with much less talent then they had the previous 10 years or so?
Football and Baseball make it OUT OF DISTRICTS every year. Maybe years ago District Tourney was good enough. It isn't anymore. We expect to be there. Current coach can't get kids to play. Only 4 parents showed up to a parent meeting for 8th grade basketball bc it's just not interesting enough. It's not baseball or football. That's the problem. People just aren't excited or care about Basketball. Hoping the Holden boy and his dad can redeem the basketball program
Regionals every year in a sport like basketball I feel is unrealistic, but I see what you are saying with the community interest.

Return to “Boys Basketball”