Green Basketball

dct3407
Waterboy

Re: Green Basketball

Post by dct3407 »

Some say Lewis will come back but thats only because he has a son and then they will need ANOTHER coach after his son is gone

Is the past coach Kevin Lewis the same Kevin Lewis that was mentioned in the Portsmouth Times as a member of the school board??

I have a hard time seeing Scarbury leaving Northwest, he seems to have a program that gets better each year.

hoot
Varsity

Post by hoot »

It is a shame whenever anyone loses their job. I think most people from Franklin Furnace had a pretty good idea that this was coming.In reply to jumper's post Kevin Lewis cannot be the head coach under the current rules in the school district.[Perhaps administration should not be able to coach @Green like many other schools already rule].Although I did not believe Hopper was a good coach,i truly hate to see a qualified person lose any job.I am sure Mr. Hopper has some loyalist's in the district and I can see this being a mess for quite some time that will hopefully will be rectified to the kids benifit soon.

hoot
Varsity

Post by hoot »

I believe you are correct [at this moment]

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Is there a protest happening at Green right now??? Did the staff and students walk out @ noon???

dct3407
Waterboy

Post by dct3407 »

Is there a protest happening at Green right now??? Did the staff and students walk out @ noon???

A walk out..... hummmmm.. , doubt it will have much of an impact, however, best of luck to the green community in making everyone happy.

BUCKEYE NUT
Riding the Bench

Post by BUCKEYE NUT »

I THINK MIKE HUGHES WOULD BE THE MAN FOR THAT JOB. HE TRIED A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO AND WAS TURNED DOWN BY THE BORAD. I KNOW HE HAS BEEN WANT A TEACHING JOB SO HE CAN GET BACK INTO COACHING. HE IS AS GOOD AS COACH THAT IS IN THIS AREA AND HE REALLY HELPS THE KIDS GET SCHOLARSHIPS, HE HAS A LOT OF CONECTIONS AT A LOT OF COLLEGES AND IS VERY GOOD AT GETTING THESE KIDS IN TO COLLEGES. I HAVE A GRANDSON THAT PLAYS BASKETBALL, NOT AT GREEN, BUT I SURE WOULD LIKE TO SEE HIM PLAY FOR MIKE.

The Fan
Waterboy

Post by The Fan »

The Portsmouth Times is now printing rumors!!! It was NOT fair to bring Rick Scarberry into Green's problems. Rick IS the Principal and head coach at Northwest! I'm sure Rick had to answer questions about this today at work, which is not fair to him, his players and board members.

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

Please tell me that a principal that has done a great job as a principal, has not lost his job because he did not win enough basketball games. If that is indeed true, the school district should be shut down by the state or at least taken over. This cannot be true.

flash
JV Team

Post by flash »

I think the rumor started with Rick is because he is a Green
grad and still lives there. Not everybody thinks Hopper did a great
job as principal, I guess it's in who you talk too.
Let's wait and see who they hire as principal and coach.

philthyphil
Varsity

Post by philthyphil »

By Benita Heath/The Ironton Tribune

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 11:17 AM EDT
FRANKLIN FURNACE — The object of the chants — and seeming affection — stood at the front door of Green High School telling the students out in the front lawn it was time to get back in the classroom.

“Listen up. Thank you again but it’s time to get to class,” David Hopper, Green’s High School principal, said to the crowd of about 75 students Tuesday afternoon who stood chanting: “Hop-per. Hop-per. Hop-per.”

It was the second demonstration of support that day for the principal who found out Monday night that by June 30, he’ll be job hunting.

Earlier this month, members of the community circulated petitions to protest the school board’s decision not to renew the contract of Hopper, a six-year veteran as the school’s administrator. They contended the administrator was let go because he failed at his second job as school basketball coach.

The petitions were presented to the board on March 17 and a special meeting was called on Monday where the board voted unanimously not to renew Hopper’s contract.

By midmorning word had circulated throughout the high school that the students would hold a noontime demonstration. Just a few minutes before noon, about 170 students or a little under half of the enrollment marched out to the front lawn, according to Kathy Russell, school secretary.

En masse they walked to the corner of the lot, across from the superintendent’s office, chanting, “We want Hopper. We want Hopper,” Russell said.

A second protest on a smaller scale took place around 1:30.

“The students started talking. We didn’t want a new principal,” Brittany Blevins, a senior, said. “I went to the (school board) meeting and wasn’t given answers.”

Before the second demonstration began, Hopper said he knew he had a lot of support from the teachers and the community.

“Now the kids. I didn’t know the kids felt this way,” Hopper said. “It made me feel pretty good. It has gotten me through these tough times.”

Superintendent Ron Lindsey said the issue of basketball was not the reason for the non-renewal.

“In Ohio an administrator serves at the whim of the board. I could give a glowing recommendation,” Lindsey said. “If the board still did not like the administrator, the contract could be terminated.”

Lindsey declined to elaborate on the reason for letting Hopper go, saying it was between the board and the principal.

“All I can tell you is the evaluations were satisfactory. There were some issues the board was uncomfortable with,” Lindsey said.

Hopper had two opportunities, Lindsey said, to meet with the board in executive session to determine those issues, but the principal chose not to.

“I didn’t feel I needed to,” Hopper said. “Their mind was made up.”

ssusoccer
Varsity

Post by ssusoccer »

Has Green hired a coach yet?

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

Who can resume's be sent out to?

Address, and who made out to?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I read where they gave Hopper his job back,not sure if he is still the coach also.

hoot
Varsity

Post by hoot »

Hopper was given a 3 year contract to return as principal.He was non-renewed as coach.

Return to “Boys Basketball”