3/1 Huntington vs. Wheelersburg

Who's going to win?

Total votes: 0

Michael Scott
Riding the Bench

Re: 3/1 Huntington vs. Wheelersburg

Post by Michael Scott »

hitchbone, Mike and Tom (wkkj) both said the officials did not have control of the game. I don't know if Justin staying in the game would have made a difference. The Burg had too much muscle and size inside, and got a lot of putbacks. I know there was a charge foul on Cottrill, both the announcers said he never got the ball before the charge was called, was the call Uhrig got T'd up on. HHS just could not get any scoring help from anyone but Josh.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

^^^^^^

Thanks MS. I figured the Huntsmen would struggle somewhat with Burg size. However, I thought with the Huntsmen down 7 or so early in the 4th, they might make a run. That is tough without your second leading scorer. I heard the charge call on Cottrill. It must have been a rough call for Coach U. to get a T. That pretty much ended it.

My hat is off to the Burg. I have and will keep saying, they are headed to the Final Four. They have flat out not let people score since the two early season losses to Oak Hill and Chilly. With a nice outside inside game, to compliment the outside game, this team is going to be tough for anyone. As I posted the other night, they may be the hottest team around any parts right now.

Congrats to the Huntsmen seniors and there whole team on a great year. And good luck to the Burg as they continue their trek towards another Final Four.

GO CAVS!!! REFUSE TO LOSE!!!

Michael Scott
Riding the Bench

Post by Michael Scott »

I guess if you think about it Wheelersburg has lost to Chillicothe (sweet 16 D2), and Oak Hill (sweet 16 D4), both quality teams and The Burg probably will end up in the Final 4. They have an impressive program in boys sports, especially football and basketball.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I felt going into the game Wheelersburg was the better team and still do. With that said it's sad that an official thinks the game is about him. The same ref that T'd Trevor Walls up twice to seal the deal T's Uhrig up to swing the momentum. I think it was a 3 point game when the T was issued, changed the entire game.

Catch24
JV Team

Post by Catch24 »

You need to add baseball to that list, trust me : )

Wheelersburg baseball is an absolute powerhouse as they are in basketball and football.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

Congrats to my Pirates for yet another title! To be honest with you I had more fun watching Huntington's #3 more than the game...we couldn't stop him.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

tigers2010onhuddle wrote:I felt going into the game Wheelersburg was the better team and still do. With that said it's sad that an official thinks the game is about him. The same ref that T'd Trevor Walls up twice to seal the deal T's Uhrig up to swing the momentum. I think it was a 3 point game when the T was issued, changed the entire game.

tigers2010,

To save you from a possible Burg thrashing, I don't think the game was at 3 pts when the T was issued. I am not sure it got below 5 at any point late in the game. I agree the game was in essence over at that point (1-2 from the line, the ball and momentum change).

I am curious about this particular official as I continue to hear about his history and love for slapping a T on someone. I am sure Coach U. was irate about the call, but it is tough to get a T at that point. With the 3-ball now days, you are never out of the game.

GO CAVS!!! REFUSE TO LOSE!!! TAKE NO PRISONERS!!! 3 DOWN!!!

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

Who were the leading scorers for each team?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I think it was 45 to 38 when the T got called.

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

Spradlin had 20+ and #3?? for Huntington with I think 26 or more

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

It was 45-40 at that point in the game. And Coach U had been chewing the refs for most of the game so it did not surprise me when they finally teed him up. It looked like a charge from my perspective but it may have looked different from above. The refs gave a lot of charging calls in this game. Wheelersburg had four player control fouls (3 charges and one illegal screen) and Huntington had two charges for the game.

The referees let a lot of fouls go on the Huntsmen on their defensive end. And they did not call hardly any fouls on rebounding on either team. Luckily this year, Drew Spradlin does a nice job of fighting through the fouls to get the points anyway.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

congrats to burgf,,and good luck..I cant wait...

to see what cal preps has to say about this one :razz: :lol: :-D

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

tigers2010onhuddle wrote: The same ref that T'd Trevor Walls up twice to seal the deal .

On January 25 Wheelersburg beat Waverly 60-36 and the two T's on Walls "sealed the deal" ? :shock: :roll: :roll:

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

biggdowgg wrote:congrats to burgf,,and good luck..I cant wait...

to see what cal preps has to say about this one :razz: :lol: :-D

Trouble maker. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Riverrat Tiger
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrat Tiger »

Congrats to Da Burg! I'll give them the nod for the favorite in the Region.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Like doc said, Coach U was lucky he wasn't T'd up earlier in the game on a couple of occassions. He was all over the refs and was yelling at the one that finally T'd him up almost the entire game. The charge call was legit, whether he had control of the ball or not, he ran right over the defender. As for Justin Kellough fouling out, at least three of his 5 fouls were on reach ins when his man had him beat and he just reached out and grabbed them. Another was a charge that was legit because he just put his shoulder down and tried to drive through the defender. I can't remember what the 5th was.

Huntington just didn't have an answer for the inside presence of the Stegman brothers or Spradlin. They probably had more offensive rebounds that the Burg, especially in the second half, but they didn't captalize on them and they just couldn't stop the Burg from scoring inside. Huntington tried to rely on #3 to do most of the scoring and he struggled to get open looks late in the 3rd and all through the 4th quarters. They were a very impressive team though and my hats off to them for giving Wheelersburg a very good game.

Congrats to Huntington on another fine season and a final ranking of #3 in the state. If I'm not mistaken that's three years in a row that the Pirates have put them out of the tourney.

A big congrats to the Pirates on another great win and getting one step closer to their third straight Final 4 appearance. Survive and advance!!!!!

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:Like doc said, Coach U was lucky he wasn't T'd up earlier in the game on a couple of occassions. He was all over the refs and was yelling at the one that finally T'd him up almost the entire game. The charge call was legit, whether he had control of the ball or not, he ran right over the defender. As for Justin Kellough fouling out, at least three of his 5 fouls were on reach ins when his man had him beat and he just reached out and grabbed them. Another was a charge that was legit because he just put his shoulder down and tried to drive through the defender. I can't remember what the 5th was.

Huntington just didn't have an answer for the inside presence of the Stegman brothers or Spradlin. They probably had more offensive rebounds that the Burg, especially in the second half, but they didn't captalize on them and they just couldn't stop the Burg from scoring inside. Huntington tried to rely on #3 to do most of the scoring and he struggled to get open looks late in the 3rd and all through the 4th quarters. They were a very impressive team though and my hats off to them for giving Wheelersburg a very good game.

Congrats to Huntington on another fine season and a final ranking of #3 in the state. If I'm not mistaken that's three years in a row that the Pirates have put them out of the tourney.

A big congrats to the Pirates on another great win and getting one step closer to their third straight Final 4 appearance. Survive and advance!!!!!

i agree. 2 more wins and they are back at the schott. they could have a tough one wednesday night against ready.

to the huntsmen congrats on a great season. to the pirates good luck wednesday

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

^^^^^

Thanks for the update Burg77...As always honest and insightful. The inside/outside presence of the Burg may be unstoppable this year.

Good luck next week..

GO CAVS!!! REFUSE TO LOSE!!!

1fan1
Riding the Bench

Post by 1fan1 »

about the refs just want to say that the Burg was just TOUGH and won a game that was brutal on both ends of the court. Pirates also got smacked, hacked, fouled (Drew Spradlin probably will have the most bruises of any all over and feels like he just finished one of the football games we watched him qb this fall!) A few times I heard people yell Toughdown! when he finally got to the basket.... No one should give the impression that the Burg team didn't play in the same game with the physical, let em play approach, b/c it was, believe me, the same story on both ends of the court!
These Pirates are just a hard-nosed group of kids that CAN and DID play through, taking care of business. They know how to win, and the defense on the perimeter was EXCELLENT even though people wondered if it could hold up. (How bout that play from Cook, sliding through to steal from Kellough, to push the ball to Spradlin who then took the dive on the floor to flick-pass, to Jenkins underneath!
PURE WILL POWER. brought the house down. The Pirates only lost their composure and got tired for about one minute after half time.
then, refocused, and continued the defensive/ power onslought.
I thought the Huntington coach, and I don't even know him, was gonna get (and shoulda been)T'd up two or three times prior to that b/c he was warned SEVERAL times. (He also jerked his medal off during the ceremony, so I think he still wasn't very gracious at the end. Maybe tomorrow when he wakes up he'll feel better :))
The Burg bench and coaching staff kept it cool throughout the PIrate's being issued even more charging calls than the other side and with players enduring just as much of a brutal beating, sometimes I thougt the burg fans near me were gonna scream their heads off if one of the burg players got hit, smacked, and raked just one more time on the way up with a putback. so it was physical. Enough. That's just the way it is sometimes, and you gotta deal.
The difference was, the Pirates came down with the rebounds and kept them. (Weight room) Then, they went up with the shots anyway (weight room), and fought their way through the frey anyway (focus and determination). The same frey happened on both ends of the court. What a tough, tough bunch of young men. The Pirate defense was great. The offense also went through the war and won. Congratulations to the Pirates and to the Huntsmen on a good season. Huntington had a good team and fought hard.
Good luck Pirates at the regionals. Let's go to war again!

One more thing: What a cool thing to see a sea of orange. WEAR YOUR ORANGE, if you are a Pirate!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

2 of Justin's fouls were very weak. The weakest was definetly the one where 3 different players had their hands on the ball in the 2nd quarter, the Burg player wisely jumped like he was shooting and they called the foul. Should've been a jump ball, but a heady play by the Burg player.

If Josh had any scoring help tonight, some of his shots would've fallen in the 4th, he looked completly spent by the end of the 3rd quarter. He, along with the rest of the Huntsmen, played their hearts out, but the deeper(and overall more talented) team won this game.

Congrats to Huntington on a great season!

Also, congrats to Wheelersburg on a 3rd straight District title and good luck next week!

BTW, I thought it was a terribly called game, both ways. Multiple times in the 2nd half, Spradlin was getting drilled going to the hoop and there were no calls. Sadly, those 3 guys are probably the class of the SE District as far as refs go.

Return to “Boys Basketball”