South Gallia VS. Ironton St. Joe 2/28

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Re: South Gallia VS. Ironton St. Joe 2/28

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I agree that ISJ will show up and play but I just think that SG will be too much.

As was said before, I think SG has too many weapons. With all the seniors on this team, SG has obviously looked to this season as the best chance to make some noise. I would say that anything less than a Regional appearance by the Rebels would be considered a complete bust.

The talent is surely there for SG but so is the coaching. I would think SG has already scouted SJ and put together an airtight game plan. I would also think that the SG staff already has game plans ready for Notre Dame, Green and Clay.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

One step at a time!!!!

Go Rebels!

pleasanttiger
SEO

Post by pleasanttiger »

just heard the Flyers chances took a big hit.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

That is a shame. I guess things like that are possible when there is more than a full week between your last regular season game and the first tournament game.

pleasanttiger
SEO

Post by pleasanttiger »

Gonna have to have a couple of unproven youngsters step up and prove themselves. Just got a lot tougher for this team to make a trip to the convo. I truely thought we had a pretty good shot to make it . But as always GO FLYERS!!!

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

Any truth the Exchange student has finally been cleared to play?

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I will be surprised if the OHSAA rules on that by Tuesday but you never know. If ruled eligible, the exchange student could help fill some of the holes left by today's bad news.

oldpgguy
Freshman Team

Post by oldpgguy »

Got word late Friday that he is eligible now.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

That is great news. After Tuesday, everyone will remember the name Nils Grbnik. He may be new to the American game but he should be able to help right away.

Still hope this other issue gets worked out before Tuesday so SJ can be at full strength +1.

sportslifelove
Freshman Team

Post by sportslifelove »

I hope both teams are at full strength. Should be a good game.

pleasanttiger
SEO

Post by pleasanttiger »

Well I guess it comes to no surprise to anyone that knows me that I have mixed feelings on this. I think that Nils can help the Flyers but am not happy with the prospect of him stepping in at the end of the season and taking playing time from some young men who have worked their tails off for the whole season. I've known in the back of my mind all season that this was a possibility but never thought it would actually happen. .

GO FLYERS!!!

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

That view is very selfish in my opinion. Nils has worked his Serbian behind off all year in practice and now that the OHSAA has ruled in his favor, he deserves his shot. He practiced all year, not missing a practice in the hopes this would happen and now you are critical? That is pitiful.

With the starters that will likely miss the game over "lunchgate", Nils could be the difference between winning and losing. If nothing else, maybe Nils can carry the team through this sectional game and then the starters can return.

The kids at SJ don't get breaks like this very often. We should all be thankful it has worked out like this and not find ourselves being so selfish. Shame on you.

on a mission
All Conference

Post by on a mission »

If the kid was willing to practice the entire season for a "chance" of playing that definitely says something about his heart. I haven't seen the kid play or for that matter know anything about him,but if I were a flyer I'd want him to be rewarded for his work,and possibly help my team through a rough time. Imo

pleasanttiger
SEO

Post by pleasanttiger »

I understand you views BWH. I know you would love to see the Flyers make it to the next round ( for very good reasons) and get the affected players back in the line up. I also hope u can understand that i would like to see the the kids who have played all year to get a chance. I know that Nils has put the time in and is a good young man,and maybe I am being selfish wanting to see some of the younger guys get a shot to perform. Either way I'm behind the Flyers till the end. That said I don't think that Nils will be able to fill the void left by "lunchgate" as you called it. But I can gaurantee that the Flyers will show up and they will all give it 100%> .

GO FLYERS!!!

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

First of all, I am a big fan of the Grbnik kid because he is a good kid and a hard worker, not only because he is 6' 9".

I still maintain that Nils needs to play. The younger kids have worked hard but they will get their chance down the road.

I still think that this "lunchgate" thing can be resolved with another solution besides 3 starters missing a game. I hear one parent is considering a call to the bishop and get him involved.

pleasanttiger
SEO

Post by pleasanttiger »

3 players? I had only heard there were 2 suspended and 2 others that were punished but not suspended. If thats the case I'm afraid the Flyers are in big trouble. Maybe the coach should think about the next few years and let the younger kids get some valuable experience in a tournament atmoshere? Don't flip out on me BWH. Think about it from that point of view for a second. You said yourself that even at full strength the Flyers didn't stand much of a chance, If in fact they are missing 3 starters,even with Nils, it might be time to think about next year.

GO FLYERS!!!

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I am withholding judgment until I hear how this mess is handled. Who could ever imagine that Lil Ceasers pizza could have such an effect on a basketball game.
I heard there were 4 kids involved but the one is already injured so I had forgotten about him.

Does anyone know if the game will be available online either video or audio? I am sure the Grbniks would love to follow the game online if possible.

pleasanttiger
SEO

Post by pleasanttiger »

I hope that cooler heads prevail and something can be worked out to avoid the suspensions, I just think it is very unfair to the seniors that are left to not be given a legitimate chance to advance. The injury, even with the addition of Grbnik, would be hard to overcome but you take 2 more starters out of the lineup and it's a pretty deep hole to climb out of.

GO FLYERS!!!

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I hear there will be a meeting at the school on Monday that will include some parents and possibly a Lil Ceasars' employee. The parents are hoping to show that the intent behind the act wasn't there. No one ordered pepperoni, but they got it anyway.

Earlier, when I said SJ had little chance to win this game, it wasn't because I was down on SJ but more that I just thought SG had too many weapons and superior coaching. With the approval of Grbnik, SJ levels the playing field a little but lunchgate looks to tilt the court back in favor of the Rebels. As always, the SJ kids will fight no matter who is on the court.

The Flying Dutchman
Varsity

Post by The Flying Dutchman »

You guys need to stop misleading people about Gerbie, he is no more than 6-6 or 6-7 at best

Return to “Boys Basketball”