South Point vs. Ironton - 2/15/08

ohioguy
Waterboy

Post by ohioguy »

caglewis wrote:And is it "classy" of OVC fans to claim that any Ironton wins are due only to "homer reffing" or "recruiting"?

Excellent excuse. :?

On a side note, congratulations to Ironton and South Point on great seasons!

IHSTiger81
Riding the Bench

Post by IHSTiger81 »

Tigfan wrote:There are lots of people that read these message boards and thats exactly why the chant was started. I also don't agree w/ the adults chanting OVC and I didn't see any where I was sitting. Anyways, Go Tigers and Congrats to the Point on a great season.

I definitely think this was why this chant was started. However, like Tigfan, I don't agree with adults chanting this. Funny thing is, a couple of the ones around me that were chanting, and loudly may I add, were graduates from an OVC school! Without mentioning names, I will go a step further and say they are real loud mouths anyway. Students you can understand...but adults? C'mon Ironton fans. Let's not stoop to any level.

geezer
Waterboy

Post by geezer »

local superstar wrote:GO POINTERS!!!!!!! Can't wait for this game, hope it is a good one, if South Point plays consistent team ball as they have been, it should be a win!! I'll take South Point by 15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D :-D :-D

KO'd AGAIN

5yrdpnlty
Waterboy

Post by 5yrdpnlty »

In response to the chant I think that fans get caught up in the emotions of a win. I was told by someone at the SP vs Ches. game at Ches. that towards the end when SP knew that they had the W the chant was, " YOU NEED NORM." Not sure if that was real classy???
Like I said I just think fans get caught up with the atmosphere and the feeling of a victory. Every team has been on both ends of it and it is definately better be on the winning side. :)

orange crush
JV Team

Post by orange crush »

well i can tell you why the ovc chant started......because all ironton has heard since the tournament brackets were released was that we could not even beat rock hill....let alone the OVC champs-20-0 Todd Mayo led South Point...and to top it all off-----4th in the ovc---hahahahahaha....that is why the chant was started i can guarantee....

congrats to the ovc champs south point but the ovc is a step below the seoal

allsport
Freshman Team

Post by allsport »

orange crush wrote:well i can tell you why the ovc chant started......because all ironton has heard since the tournament brackets were released was that we could not even beat rock hill....let alone the OVC champs-20-0 Todd Mayo led South Point...and to top it all off-----4th in the ovc---hahahahahaha....that is why the chant was started i can guarantee....

congrats to the ovc champs south point but the ovc is a step below the seoal

Nothing like winning graciously... lowering yourself to someone else's comments does not justify your actions, it only keeps it up and demonstrates a lack of class... I remember when Ironton fans responded quite differently... their demonstrations of class in victory told me that they were not strangers to winning and that they had bigger fish to fry... Ironton is not the only one who battles this... SP also has been accused of poor sportsmanship from the stands themselves... there is nothing in the world wrong with school pride... but when that pride drives you to attack and rub it in the face of others it has become less a strength and more of a weakness. just IMO.

orange crush
JV Team

Post by orange crush »

so to disprove a point is poor sportsmanship.... :?:

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

I don't think it was a big deal for the fans to chant OVC...I mean lets face it, its not the nicest thing to do haha but it could be a lot worse. Its part of it, maybe not the best part of it, nevertheless it will always be there. I agree with someone said....every school has been on both sides of it before.

I also still think South Point had the better team, but gave it over to Ironton. Which I know the Ironton fans are thinking what?????? I am not trying to take away from their effort or defense or athleticism or anything like that because I know they have it...but I still think South Point had the better team even so but just did not play up to how we have seen them play, which is why I think they lost.

If Ironton was in the OVC I really have no idea how they would have placed this year. But to just assume they would be in 4th place is not true. I don't think they would have won it by any means at all, but they would have competed that's for sure!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

So which team will let this go first?

Move on.

In the 1st half Ironton's fans seemed very oboisterous about every possible call going against Mayo.......I thought that was ridiculous....but maybe that goes back to about 4 years ago I don't know.

As for the chants that didn't last long at all.....not too big of deals for my money.

orange crush
JV Team

Post by orange crush »

well the ovc champs and one of the contenders seasons lay in ruin..thats what superior teams from superior conferences do .......i know the best team doesnt always win, but this time they did.......its not like south point overlooked ironton....thats all ironton has heard is that south point is ready for them.....obviously not

duke
Riding the Bench

Post by duke »

As an uninvolved spectator, I must say I was impressed by Mayo's composure. You couldn't have distinguished if his team was winning or losing by his actions. I thought he showed a lot of maturity for a kid his age in a difficult situation, (as far as sports goes). He deserves to be commended for the class he displayed.

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Take your ball and go home please.
Better luck next year. :lol:

Never Give Up!
justagame
Waterboy

Post by justagame »

Why do you erase a post thats an opinion like everyone elses. I have seen comments on here about all sorts of crap. Calling kids names, talking about officiating.
I simply stated my opinion and it gets erased. TRUTH HURT?
Ironton had an Ironton ref and thats a fact. It was a tournament game and the team in it had a ref from their hometown. That is not neutral its bullcrap. It should not be erased because your opinion is different. There were 9 charges called on SP. 3 on one player. That is like a record. We did not go 20-0 with getting 9 charges a game. The fact of the matter is alot of SP has viewed the game on tape at this point and it was one of the worse ever. Ironton hung from the rim...no T. Ironton player had Mayo on the ground then elbowed him with that ref watching he turned his head. NO T...It only got worse. SO YES Ironton's ref made a huge difference in the game. Every time we had a fast break or went in for a lay up he called a charge. One was called and there was not even an Ironton player close. Watch the film...SP got hosed

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

::justagame::

Its alright...I agree with most of your opinions. South Point was the better team but they just did not get everything to fall into place. I think their turn overs hurt them more than anything...I don't think it was necessarily the refs or even Ironton that caused them to lose. I think it was themselves. I mean lets face it, SP had a horrible game and still only lost by 4 points...thats crazy. If they wouldn't have charged all of those times and cut their turnovers down to half then I really think SP would have won. But they did not and nobody can go back and change it. Ironton moves on to the convo and I wish their boys and their fans goodluck and I hope they can at least pull off and win or two before all is said and done.

You can say it was the refs or you can say Ironton was just THAT good.....but I really think SP had a bad game, simple as that. That is why they are not moving on...nobody else to blame.

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

Get over your sour grapes.....good luck in baseball.

Never Give Up!
Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

justagame wrote:Why do you erase a post thats an opinion like everyone elses. I have seen comments on here about all sorts of crap. Calling kids names, talking about officiating.
I simply stated my opinion and it gets erased. TRUTH HURT?
Ironton had an Ironton ref and thats a fact. It was a tournament game and the team in it had a ref from their hometown. That is not neutral its bullcrap. It should not be erased because your opinion is different. There were 9 charges called on SP. 3 on one player. That is like a record. We did not go 20-0 with getting 9 charges a game. The fact of the matter is alot of SP has viewed the game on tape at this point and it was one of the worse ever. Ironton hung from the rim...no T. Ironton player had Mayo on the ground then elbowed him with that ref watching he turned his head. NO T...It only got worse. SO YES Ironton's ref made a huge difference in the game. Every time we had a fast break or went in for a lay up he called a charge. One was called and there was not even an Ironton player close. Watch the film...SP got hosed

The ref was from SP.

usahockey1980
Riding the Bench

Post by usahockey1980 »

Which was it? Some people say Ironton won by 4 points and the Ohio Ahtletic Association says Ironton won by 6 points. It really doesn't matter just curious.

I also want to wish Ironton, Chesapeake and Fairland good luck in the tourney at Athens. Go Lawrence county.

You are playing bad every day and right now you look like you're playing like its the middle of next week.
Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

It was 4 points

57-53

Here are articles from the Huntington and Ironton newspapers showing the score as 57-53

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x1345907730

http://www.irontontribune.com/articles/ ... orts01.txt

PointerFan02
Freshman Team

Re: South Point vs. Ironton - 2/15/08

Post by PointerFan02 »

There was a last second basket by South Point. I saw the one ref signal that it counted, but I never saw it posted on the scoreboard. That's probably why there are some discrepancies.

Return to “Boys Basketball”