SOCII POY

4thgoal
SEOPS

SOCII POY

Post by 4thgoal »

Who does everyone think will be player of the year? Obviously, Kretzer is the most talented player in the conference, but Yates led his team to the SOCII trophy without losing any conference games. As typically happens, it will probably be Yates because of the conference title. Should anyone else be considered?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: SOCII POY

Post by smurray »

Krezter is the most talented basketball player in the conference but Yates will win it as already mentioned.

lebasketball
Riding the Bench

Post by lebasketball »

If Kretzer doesn't win it the award should be renamed the best player on the championship team award

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I agree but it typically goes to a player on the league championship team. I don't think there is really any debate Kretzer is the best player.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

I think Kretzer will win it...

Scott Rolfe COY

IMO

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

Usually you have to win the SOC II to win this award, which means it may very well go to Yates, but if Kretzer isn't nipping at his heels for runner-up something just isn't right

Tigers24
Freshman Team

Post by Tigers24 »

Both deserve this honor without a doubt! however after Jake dropped 35 on the Indians tonight I think he locked it up. JMO

steppinontoes
Waterboy

Post by steppinontoes »

Yates is an absolute gamer...That being said, I think Kretzer is the best player to play in the SOC for as long as I can remember. Everyone in the gym knows he is the go to guy, and he still scores almost at will. How can you argue with the numbers he has put up?

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

This was talked about in an earlier post and jake is the best player in the Soc 2 its pretty hard to argue that he isnt with the numbers he has put up all yr, now is he on the best team no and usually the best player off of the best team wins the award so it wouldnt be a great surprise if Yates wins it and if jake doesnt get it he is going to get plenty of awards, probably district player of the yr and a great shot at 1st team all state. So its all good I think.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Why can't the SOC coaches vote co-players of the year. Doesn't cost anybody anything with positive results. If not, Yates might be SOC POY and Kretzer might be District Division II POY.

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

soccerfix wrote:Why can't the SOC coaches vote co-players of the year. Doesn't cost anybody anything with positive results. If not, Yates might be SOC POY and Kretzer might be District Division II POY.
They did that in football this year so I don't understand why they couldn't do that in basketball... I don't think you can just go off of numbers... I believe Yates would put up just as good of numbers if he didn't have the help he has at valley, so you can't go off of how much a kid scores... Do I believe Kretzer is the best player in the SOC yes, but it's not just because he can score... Look at the last play of the game for waverly tn, for Kretzer to not force a shot and to have enough confidence in his teammate to make a play when, lets be honest, they have struggled for the most part of the year just adds to how great of a player he is!! I believe you could make a case for both young men and I believe they should be Co-offensive POY.. BTW I'm not singling any player out for Waverly I'm just saying as a team besides Kretzer they have struggled for the most part... That was a HUGE shot and a clutch play by i believe it was white at the end of the game

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Along with Kretzers 35 points last night he pulled down 13 rebounds. I'd say he's averaging double digit rebounds per game. Like was said, for Jake to have such confidence in JP in such a situation shows his leadership quality. Jake is an amazing athlete who will more than likely become Waverly's all-time leading scorer regardless of sex (needs 24 to tie Teresa Campbell) and possibly the only player in Waverly history to surpass 1,600 points (needs 37). Arguments can be made about era but if Jake is not the best Waverly basketball player ever he's in the top 3. In that case it's hard to believe he wouldn't be the MVP in the SOC this year, lol. Co-MVP's ought to work.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

You have to ask yourself is it the Player of the year award or the best player of the best team award?
If you could pick any player in the SOC II team to play for you who would it be?

No question Jake Kretzler would be choosen. I have seen both young men play and I feel Jake is POY. The would be no argument against co-POY.
Very good chance both young men will be District POY in DII and DIV

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

Kretzer might start to like that gym at Southeastern. He scored his 1,000th point up there last year. I was there when Teresa Campbell broke the record back in 99-00 I might just have to be there to see if Jake can break the record.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

dont know if both players will get district player of the yr, d3 has way more competition for it than d2, you have to throw in Evans, Mckinley from Ports. Carter and Fletcher from ironton if they are the same district, then the kid from Peake, lots more talent then whats in d2.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

Kretzer. Take him off of Waverly's team, they are a .500 team at best.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Kretzer is the best player in the league and should win the award. It will not surprise me if Yates wins it though with the season Valley has had to this point.

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

Kretzer is incredible and should win it but if he has to share it with Yates thats fine because he is a heck of a player too.

ohiostbucks99
Freshman Team

Post by ohiostbucks99 »

this is not a best team award...kretzer is the best player in the soc

Return to “Boys Basketball”