Southeast District Sectional, Disparity?

g w mclintock
All State

Southeast District Sectional, Disparity?

Post by g w mclintock »

Others have probably noticed this earlier but I just did...

Southeast District DII
20 teams, 8 teams (40%) will advance to district play

Southeast District DIII
29 teams, 8 teams (28%) will advance to district play

Southeast District DIV
21 teams, 8 teams (38%) will advance to district play

DII
19 teams, 4 teams (21%) advanced

DIII
30 teams, 12 teams (40%) advanced

DIV
20 teams, 8 teams (40%) advanced

I'm just curious, why the changes to DIII this year?
Last edited by g w mclintock on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

Not sure about your 2007 numbers for DII.
Logan Elm, Greenfield, Chilli, and Vinton advanced to district. That is four. DII has been getting the raw end for years. Glad to see in 2008 that is now fixed.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

fighting_falcon wrote:Not sure about your 2007 numbers for DII.
Logan Elm, Greenfield, Chilli, and Vinton advanced to district. That is four. DII has been getting the raw end for years. Glad to see in 2008 that is now fixed.

I think these are pretty accurate http://seodabsports.org/brackets/2007/boys_bb_div2.htm
Last edited by g w mclintock on Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

If you look at your brackets only the teams that show playing in the convo were at districts. Logan and Southeastern were the sectionals. Pretty tough sectionals last year then only one got out of the districts. This year two get out of the districts.

2007 DII four teams to district one to regional.

2008 DII eight teams to districts and two to regional.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

I guess I skipped a column. You are correct. In 2006 and 2007 4 teams advanced.

It looks like they fixed d2 for this year but my real question was d3.

I have edited the original post.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

GW, hell, I am impressed that you spell "Disparity" correct.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

hawkeyepierce wrote:GW, hell, I am impressed that you spell "Disparity" correct.

I owe it all to you for inventing the internet and spell checker.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

DIII kind of got the screw turned to it this year but I guess it was their turn after DII had got the screw for several years.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Baseball and Softball will have three district champions in D3 this spring while they both only had two last year.

Pol pot
SE

Number of Teams

Post by Pol pot »

All brackets and numbers are dictated by the State. Once the State determines how many and which Regionals each District and Division will have. The District Athletic Boards draw up the brackets.

If the State only gives Two Regional Spots, there of course can only be 8 District Qualifers for the two brackets. This number rotates every few years.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Thanks Pol Pot, kind of what I figured. Too bad that they can't get it consistent year-in and year-out, but with teams moving between divisions, that is understandable.

Also, that's a very interesting selection that you made for your user id.......

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
91raider97bobcat
JV Team

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

It really comes down to simple math. There's about 200 schools in each of the 4 divisions. 16 teams make it to regionals, or about 1 in 12.5 schools.

It's also determined by which districts have teams win 1 or 2 games to make it out of the district. For example, in the east district in D2, there's 20 teams, but only 4 advance to district--but 2 of those go to the regional. Same math, same number of games as this year in the SE to make it to the regional.

That district board has just chosen to have one-game districts and make some teams win 3 to get out of the sectional, and thus 4 to get to the regional. In the SE, some teams only have to win once to get to the district.

Semantics, really. I really think the OHSAA makes an effort to keep the districts with as an even number of teams as possible. Either way, you still have to win the same number of games to win the state championship. Most have to win 8...some only have to win 7, while a very few would have to win 9.

Return to “Boys Basketball”