How will the SEOAL Realign? With Divisions or?

Army
S

How will the SEOAL Realign? With Divisions or?

Post by Army »

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Army,

Still in discussion on this, but the league is working on the plan. With 8 teams, there will be a balanced schedule. You could still stay North and South. In B-Ball, you would have 14 league games regardless.

I spoke with Board Member on this, and he is truly supportive of making this thing work. I nor he can speak for everyone else, but there is internal discussions going on and the Cavs will be part of the plan.

GO CAVS!!!

bitbucket
Freshman Team

Post by bitbucket »

I overheard folks at the concessions that at least one other school was looking to get out of the league. Something about football gates.

If you build it, they will come
Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

bit,

Alot of conversation about Ironton getting out. They voted, but another meeting is upcoming. There is a chance it is rescinded. Our admin is comfortable that we will end up with eight (8), but nobody can ever be for sure.

GO CAVS!!!

marathon rebel
Freshman Team

Post by marathon rebel »

Well if ironton and Athens leaves this season, and Z-ville leaves after the 08-09 season, the league is down to 7 members, is their another school wanting in? I always thought wheelersburg would make a great fit for this league. they are around the same size of jackson and gallipolis and still could make a run at some of the bigger schools, but this is just my opinion.

Army
S

Post by Army »

marathon rebel wrote:Well if ironton and Athens leaves this season, and Z-ville leaves after the 08-09 season, the league is down to 7 members, is their another school wanting in? I always thought wheelersburg would make a great fit for this league. they are around the same size of jackson and gallipolis and still could make a run at some of the bigger schools, but this is just my opinion.

Wheelersburg would be a great team...but they are not the same size as the two other teams.

Wheelersburg is D5 in Football and D3 in Basketball

Jackson is D2

Gallipolis is D4 in Football...D3 in Basketball

Army
S

Post by Army »

hitchbone64 wrote:Army,

Still in discussion on this, but the league is working on the plan. With 8 teams, there will be a balanced schedule. You could still stay North and South. In B-Ball, you would have 14 league games regardless.

I spoke with Board Member on this, and he is truly supportive of making this thing work. I nor he can speak for everyone else, but there is internal discussions going on and the Cavs will be part of the plan.

GO CAVS!!!

Know that. I do hope we can keep the rest together. :-D

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Why would it even have to reallign? Say Ironton gets out, that will leave 7 teams. One Division!

Chillicothe
Portsmouth
Jackson
Warren
Marietta
Gallia Academy
Logan

That is a pretty good league if you ask me.
Football play 6 league games.
Basketball plays everyone twice=12 games
Baseball plays everyone twice=12 games.

chilltown
JV Team

Post by chilltown »

I'm guessing this is the beginning of the End of The SEOAL. If Chilly can get in the MSL or SCOL they will leave also.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

IMO - The expansion was the beginning of the end.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

chilltown & spartan -- IMO a league that has been in existence since the 1920s is not going to fold because schools that recently joined the league are leaving. Adjust - yes; realign - maybe; fold -no!!!

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

I do not think it should fold either, however, the expansion was the beginning of the end as we know the SEOAL. I am sure it will survive.

The only good thing IMO to come out of the expansion was the Zanesville Chilli basketball games.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

chilltown wrote:I'm guessing this is the beginning of the End of The SEOAL. If Chilly can get in the MSL or SCOL they will leave also.

Chilltown,

Don't believe that for one minute. It would take a BOE turnover, an administration turnover, and a mass public appeal. The Cavs stayed in the OCC from the late 70's until we left. Alot of pain and suffering, but we stayed. I was one who did not want to leave, but I have jumped on the bandwagon. My hope is we take a proactive stance in the league and direct positive change to improve the league. Yes, if teams started jumping ship, you have to consider your options, but I doubt that happens.

Also, I don't believe Ironton is going anywhere (at least now).

GO CAVS!!!

Army
S

Post by Army »

hitchbone64 wrote:
chilltown wrote:I'm guessing this is the beginning of the End of The SEOAL. If Chilly can get in the MSL or SCOL they will leave also.

Chilltown,

Don't believe that for one minute. It would take a BOE turnover, an administration turnover, and a mass public appeal. The Cavs stayed in the OCC from the late 70's until we left. Alot of pain and suffering, but we stayed. I was one who did not want to leave, but I have jumped on the bandwagon. My hope is we take a proactive stance in the league and direct positive change to improve the league. Yes, if teams started jumping ship, you have to consider your options, but I doubt that happens.

Also, I don't believe Ironton is going anywhere (at least now).

GO CAVS!!!

hitchbone64,

Would you stay in a SEOAL with only 4 teams :?:

That could be a possibilty...I hope not. I grew up in the SEOAL and played in it. I have seen all the Charter members go. Check out NYBuckeyes96 Post...it's the most counter-point I have seen to date to review the possible down fall to the We have always been here.

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Concerning long-time member schools leaving, I think of it from this perspective.......

For over thirty years, there were no changes in membership. The SEOAL was "solid" with Athens, Gallipolis, Logan, Jackson, Wellston, Pomeroy and Middleport (and subsequently Meigs), and Nelsonville (and subsequently Nelsonville-York). A simple consolidation of two league schools in Meigs County opened the door for Ironton to join, but the league was "solid" with the long time members. 8 solid members (7 after the Meigs consolidation)

In 1970, Nelsonville-York left. The SEOAL was still "solid" with long-time members Athens, Gallipolis, Logan, Jackson, Wellston and Meigs. 6 solid members.

In 1982, Wellston left. The SEOAL was still "solid" with long-time members Athens, Gallipolis, Logan, Jackson and Meigs. 5 solid members.

In 1983, Meigs left. The SEOAL was still "solid" with long-time members Athens, Gallipolis, Logan and Jackson. 4 solid members.

In 2008, Athens leaves. The SEOAL is still "solid" with long-time members Gallipolis, Logan, and Jackson. 3 solid members.

Over time, that list of "solid" long-time SEOAL members gets shorter and shorter. To think that the three remaining long-time members will always be in the league because they always have been is not very realistic, as the course of history shows that long-time "solid" members in the past have left the league over the years.

Have you noticed the next may be Ironton no matter what there board said eariler this month, now that Zanesville has posted revenue figures. So will they. Lutz wants his 300 plus and they are tired of losing in several sports. Something they hate at Ironton. You lose down there, the crowds quit showing up. You win and they feel the bleachers. As an Independent Ironton has no problems like a Zanesville has in scheduling.

Then there is the real possibility of a new league being formed with Zanesville, Marietta, John Marshall, Brooke, Steubenville and Wheeling Park, WV. There has been continued talks.

Vincent Warren-Local leaving and going back to the TVC-Ohio. The only two teams holding this up is Wellston and Pomeroy-Meigs who would rather Chesire River Valley to become the 8th member.

If they actually all leave in a span of 2-4 years.....That will leave the three amigo charter members..i.e., Logan, Jackson and Gallipolis along with Portsmouth and us. If Portsmouth leaves then what are we going to stay in a league where we play 3 league games and try to schedule 7 non-league games :?:

I hope not but I do see the move for at least 2 to 3 more leaving after Zanesville. I hope we stay together and make the SEOAL a stronger and more viable league. I do think it would be wise to prepare for the CAVS to keep there eye and pulse on the situation. Looking at conversing with other local leagues just in case...getting a feel how they would embrace a possibility for our School to request an entrance into there respected leagues. Also looking at the possibilty of having to maybe look at going independent if the SEOAL implodes. Or, try and convince the 5 SEOAL-South Teams to stay together and persuade Waverly, Wheelersburg and Portsmouth West to create a real SE-Ohio League together.

ARMY :!:

Return to “Boys Basketball”