OAKS AT BURG

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

>> to let those easy buckets underneath the basket <<

The term 'easy' was not the way to describe those tonight. If they had been 'easy' the Pirates would have scored 20 more points as they could have pounded the ball inside all night. Know that there were no clean shots in the paint after rebounds that did not fall tonight. VERY physical. There was a lot of contact at all times and the guys were lucky just to get the ball up and hope for the best. They sure couldn't set their feet and aim.

The past two games, those guys have shot 9 of 14 (64%) on offensive put-backs. (Drew missed three times in a row at South Webster--though he got it in on the last try--otherwise it would have been even better at 75%). Tonight it was 4 of 9 (44%) with not one 'easy' shot among them.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Yes, it was very physical in the paint tonight. The big factor to me in this game was the fact that Oak Hill wasn't able to get the ball in to the big men and there inability to hit a three ball all night.

Great job by the Pirates on the defensive end tonight. Burg started out like a ball of fire and then cooled off in the 2nd qtr, (like doc said above, it started when Matt Stegman went out of the game with 2 fouls)Speaking of Matt Stegman, man was he huge on the boards tonight. Anytime you can get 14 rebounds against bigger guys then you, you are working your tail off under the boards. Great job young man.

Matt Jenkins started off hot for the Burg and then did his usual yeoman's job of running the Burg's offense.

Drew had his usual game. Hit a big shot when they needed it or hit some big free throw's.

Andy Stegman played well. Man they give and go him and his brother Matt ran with each other looked like they had practiced that in the driveway at home.LOL

Tyler Lang did a great job on the defensive end. struggled a little bit with his shot tonight, but against a scrappy team like the Oaks, you will have that.

The bench, Cook, Conley and Proehl came in and gave the Burg starters some good rest periods and never lost the intensity on defense.

Burg just needs to take care of business the rest of the season and they can wrap up another SOC title, even though it could be shared, it is still another title.

Great win Pirates and good luck the rest of the season.

1fan1
Riding the Bench

Post by 1fan1 »

Hmmmm. let's see. The Pirates come out and bring the house down with tough, basketball and execution, then Norm slows the game down because he KNOWS Oak Hill cannot play at that intense tempo that was feeding the Burg with quick hitting shots for the Pirates. Norm then shifts to a box and one then a diamond and one (he knows what he is doing after all and his players are big,physical, and well-taught) The Pirates tough it out with one of their best defensive efforts in years(48-35?), and all you people on here can say is they are the worst shooting team in a long time and that the fould shooting is going to kill em....???? Jeesh. What do you want? Blood???
WOW. How about we say "Good job, kids. We're proud of you!!!!" What a game! you who played your guts out in practice and during that game (always one step ahead and in their faces: never resting on defense andgetting pressed offensively!) Does anyone out there recognize outstanding defensive execution and the sheer effort, speed, brains, and skill that takes, or do you posters all just get excited if someone dunks or shoots the three. Tonight we just saw some really good team basketball and our PIrates were excellent. I say we stop a minute in criticizing their efforts and just say congratulations. Some of those guys are pretty beat up since they took a beating underneath, from both sides.

We saw tonight who was the better team, especially defensively.l

Good luck Oaks in your tournament run in DIV. IV certainly expect you to go far in that division.

On another note, I don't know Casey Love, but I do know he is a good basketball player. However, I also have to say that Oak Hill is pretty much the same team without him in many ways because his replacement is good, too; they are just not as deep (and maybe a little short on the three). Casey is a good player, but so are those other players from Oak Hill, and sometimes it is a little humbling for us all to know that the world keeps turning without us. I sincerely wish him good luck, though, and if he IS considering Burg, he might want to be forwarned that Coach Barrick is tough; but maybe in a little different way. Most of his players learn that at that get-go. He is just as demanding as Norm, maybe more defensively. Maybe all coaches are a little eccentric that way?

Anyway, way to go PIrates! No time to rest. You have another VERY tough game at Northwest coming up Tuesday, and it is a MUST that you go in there ready to play and recognizing how important it is. Go, Burg, Go! We are proud to be Pirates, as usual.
Last edited by 1fan1 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

1fan1 wrote: that the fould shooting is going to kill em....???? Jeesh. What do you want? Blood???

I don't care how good you are or how hard you play, there is NO excuse for a 60+ foul shooting percentage..... and it WILL kill ANY team.

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Good thing this 61% is one of their lowest of the year then. Geez--you should have made this complaint after the Portsmouth game.

Lucky Oak Hill only shot 64% themselves. (9/14)

I have to agree with 1fan1 assessment (someone who obviously actually watched the game.) :shock:

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

60 plus as a team isnt even that bad? what are u talkin about.. maybe drabbit can help us out but burg has been very good from the line, around 75 percent each game.. Even better than the last few years it seems.. The stats might say otherwise, but regaurdless the pirates have been good from the line this year and it is actually one of their strong points.. As for this being the worst shooting team bla bla.. you havent said one good thing about this team that will probably go 18-2 and win a share of the soc.. same as last yr btw.. so why dont you stop posting.. i have noticed that your post numbers have went down since the burg has started rolling, I was hoping that trend would continue.. Oak hill played excellent defense. Spradlin was forced to work hard for every one of his 16 and the oaks really extended their zone to not allow open looks.. When zones extend that means that it is essentially one on one in the post.. The stegmans need to work on attacking a spread out zone.. Other than that id like to compliment cook on an outstanding job on Borden.. Spradlin switched to gaurding hondera for about the last 6 minutes and he did a great job keeping him out of the paint.. Matt stegman showed up huge, and matt jenkins probably pushed the pirates over the edge tonight knocking down 3s. Burg won because of the competitors that were on the floor together in the second half.. Congratulations to all you guys.. Oak hill keep your head up, you will make a run this year and have a great team.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

I only would post the FT percentages if I get to skip Portsmouth! :-D But you are right in that most games this year that percentage has been in the 72-83% range (8 games)--most of those were over 75%. And one of the other games was 67%. Early in the year there were 3 in the 55-59 range.

But yes there is alway room for improvement if they shoot less than 100% from the free throw line. While it would be nice to get that performance, I learned long ago that kids are not machines. You don't wind them up and get the same performance each and every outing--regardless of the sport. They have good days and bad days. Sometimes they have a headache or a foot is sore or they are coming down with a virus or they just didn't sleep well the night before. ...Just because they ran 10.6 in the 100m dash the week before does not mean they can do it this week!

The other thing I know is the kids hate those missing FTs and bunny shots way more than I care that they do. I only hate it for their sakes--after all, I am just a fan.

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

backdoor54 wrote:60 plus as a team isnt even that bad? what are u talkin about.. maybe drabbit can help us out but burg has been very good from the line, around 75 percent each game.. Even better than the last few years it seems.. The stats might say otherwise, but regaurdless the pirates have been good from the line this year and it is actually one of their strong points.. As for this being the worst shooting team bla bla.. you havent said one good thing about this team that will probably go 18-2 and win a share of the soc.. same as last yr btw.. so why dont you stop posting.. i have noticed that your post numbers have went down since the burg has started rolling, I was hoping that trend would continue.. Oak hill played excellent defense. Spradlin was forced to work hard for every one of his 16 and the oaks really extended their zone to not allow open looks.. When zones extend that means that it is essentially one on one in the post.. The stegmans need to work on attacking a spread out zone.. Other than that id like to compliment cook on an outstanding job on Borden.. Spradlin switched to gaurding hondera for about the last 6 minutes and he did a great job keeping him out of the paint.. Matt stegman showed up huge, and matt jenkins probably pushed the pirates over the edge tonight knocking down 3s. Burg won because of the competitors that were on the floor together in the second half.. Congratulations to all you guys.. Oak hill keep your head up, you will make a run this year and have a great team.

You are mixing up statements from two or three different posters. Exactly who are you talking to ?

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

drrabbit wrote:-after all, I am just a fan.

Yeah, and one who thinks they are the final authority on everything Wheelersburg..... :roll: :lol:

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

just commenting on a couple different statements.. the free throw percentage request was made to see if the burg had shot well from the line this season.. I know that the comments i made were referring to different posts.. just kinda rambled i guess.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

burgtown wrote:I said at the beginning of the season that this was the worse shooting team the burg has had in years. They hussle, they defend, but they can't shoot. Part of the trouble is the inside men don't use the back board for close in shots, I'm really surprised that the coaching staff has let it go on this late in the year. I don't think even good defense can make up for the shooting percentage, when tourny time comes around.

burgtown, I'm sure the coaching staff hasn't worked at all with their "big guys" on their moves in the pain :? This is one of the biggest details covered in a Wheelersburg practice, everyday their are individual workout of skills just like this. I thought the players worked very hard to get shots, they were having to play through a lot of bumping (I didn't see Oak Hill making a lot of shots inside either..or outside for that matter).

Return to “Boys Basketball”