Rock Hill @ River Valley

BleedBlue
Waterboy

Post by BleedBlue »

Whoa! ARe you kidding me???? Who quit??? Who wouldn't quit . . .if they'd put their time in for 4 years and been a respectable player??? Why would you sit on the bench game after game while freshman, juniors, etc. played ahead of you. OK, so they played ahead of you, but played MOSt of the game and did nothing exceptional, and you sit and WATCH. That's what every young kid wants, RIGHT???? Every kid wants to sit on the bench and be overlooked time after time, especially a senior. Why are you NOW concerned about WHO quit???? NObody cared when he was sitting on the bench trying to wait it out. I honestly believe he was trying to give his coach the benefit of the doubt. No matter what your age . . . you can only take sooo much humilitation. But, who cares?? It's over, it's done. I wish RVHS much luck. I am sure the kid who quit is OK with his decision. I know I would be. I wouldn't let ANYONE treat my child like that. Great coach or not (Sandman). I appreciate your neutrality on EVERY forum. But get some backbone and stand up for what's right. No KID deserves to be humiliated and overlooked, no matter what you think of his family, friends, parents, etc. He's a KID!! With coaching experience with over 30 years I have never seen anyone ignore a senior (decent player) over and over again.
If I am not mistaken, I read in the paper that this kid would have been given the honor of "player of the game" earlier in the season. What happened??? Too many other parents to please???? Let's end this forum. He was treated wrong, no question about that. But, I'd love to hear the argument against it. :lol:

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

I dont know the situation here but if I had a senior and a freshman that was about the same, I would play the freshman to make him better and help the program in the future. Again I dont know if this aplies or not here, I was thinking out loud.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

:|
Last edited by theassassin on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

BleedBlue
Waterboy

Post by BleedBlue »

Did I say "great" player? My mistake. I thought I said "decent." And, I think he'd have been happy with 9-12 minutes playing time. He's not my kid. I was just an observer that wondered why he was being overlooked. And, I do think it's humiliating to be the only 4 year player on the team sitting the bench when you are just as DECENT as the others. I just wondered the reason. It was obvious. It is too bad we have QUITTERS. It's too bad kids are put in the position to make that choice.

rat
Freshman Team

Post by rat »

There are lots of 4 year players who don't get playing time. How many letters did he recieve? Varsity that is. Were you at practice every day to see what kind of work ethic all the kids have? In other words you know nothing of the program or the situation other than what you were told.

BleedBlue
Waterboy

Post by BleedBlue »

Sorry - Didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings! I would imagine he has no varsity letters, since he didn't play enough his senior year to get one. I didn't know he was lazy kid. I've been to every game and he seemed to play as hard as anyone out there when he got the chance. Looking at the varsity lineup, he wouldn't have been one that looked like he lacked work ethic. But, you're right. I wasn't at EVERY practice. I stand corrected. And, you are also right that there are many 4 year players that sit the bench. I just didn't understand why in this situation. From what I saw he was as DECENT (not GREAT assass.) as the others. I was just curious as to why he didn't play much. Now, I know. Thanks, Rat!

BleedBlue
Waterboy

Post by BleedBlue »

You are right - Seniors should be told they will not be getting playing time because a coach wants to build the program. Then the senior (or whoever) can decide if they want to spend their time on the bench. A Coach should definitely let his players know what's going on and why. I totally agree. I am done with this. As fans, we have no business to this "privvy" info. :roll:

BleedBlue
Waterboy

Post by BleedBlue »

GAHS . After rereading your post I must comment on some of your remarks. #1 Yes a coach does owe dedicated seniors one of two things. Playing time, or an explanation of why they arent. #2 An underclassman has to be heads above a upperclassman before sitting them out. #3 A coach has the power to build or destroy young players not to mention young men. #4 You dont build a team by tearing down parts of the foundation.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

:roll: ^^^^^

BleedBlue
Waterboy

Post by BleedBlue »

WOW! that was mature. More like Manure. ASS. Sometimes the truth hurts. I just hate to see good kids hurt, while others show themselves on the court, as well as off. Classy.

tubby
Varsity

Post by tubby »

^^^
real mature of you, talking about things you know nothing about

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

Im a big boy, what about you :lol:

BleedBlue
Waterboy

Post by BleedBlue »

GAHS that was very informative. I don't know what it has to do with treating players with some respect though. This is a public forum to discuss opinions. No one has to agree with what anyone says. I have been around sports my whole life and I know from experience that coaching is a thankless job. However your dealing with young people that look to you for encouragement and praise. If your going to coach you need to realize how much influence you have on kids. Dont tear them down, make them feel bad about themselves and then expect everyone to be happy about it. I just dont think an explanation from a coach to a player is to much to ask. Enough said.

rat
Freshman Team

Post by rat »

I know at RV they have parents going to the school board complaining about coaches, before even meeting with a coach. I think this is spineless and be big enough to confront coaches face to face. Also I dont think coaching biddy ball makes anyone an expert as these people claim to be.

owl
Waterboy

Post by owl »

Been@ it a long time Bleedblue and Freshmen who start varsity should be an exception, not the rule. Some of the reasons are those stated by gahs4ever and some are mentioned by you.i.e. it doesn't help the players or the team. Many times the "building" is no more than an excuse for losing!
Gahs4ever, I personally, am interested more in kids and" building teams" than in coaching "abuse". AS far as I'm concerned, if you take the job, you take the heat, deserved or not-- been there, done that!

BleedBlue
Waterboy

Post by BleedBlue »

Very wise comments owl. :shock:

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

i dont know the situation your talking about, but why keep a senior on the bench and play freshmen. to me you have already told me i dont fit into your scheme waste of time ;-)

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

Are there any freshman playing varsity at RV? I cannot think of any. There are some sophomores.

Return to “Boys Basketball”