88 Portsmouth vs 08 Chillicothe

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

88 Portsmouth vs 08 Chillicothe

Post by O.R.prep »

These teams were two of the most talented teams SE Ohio has ever seen. One would wonder who would win if these teams could have went head to head.
The match up between Tubbs and Hitchens would have been a classic.
Dominique McKinley & Chambers would have been great.
Knights, Dawes & Beverly vs. Barnes & the rest of their crew, this would have been a game for the ages in SE Ohio.
Coaches, I would have to give the advantage to Coach Subb. Kellough is a great coach, but Coach Subb has had way more experience coaching big time teams, with big time athletes. Kellough being at CHillicothe is his first true exp with this kind of talent.
All I know is - WHAT A GAME THIS WOULD BE!
Your thought- Who would win?

Army
S

Post by Army »

I agree :!:

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

I would prefer a match up with the Lisath/Tubbs teams of the 70's. Then again, we could find many matchups over the years.

However, this too would be a great matchup.

GO CAVS!!!

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

Post by O.R.prep »

Hitch: I know what your saying however that 88 trojan team won the state. And Patrick Tubbs and Humpty would just be awsome to watch. Both made ther teams what they were and are

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Don't Stop
Get Off

I would take the Trojans.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

O.R.prep wrote:Hitch: I know what your saying however that 88 trojan team won the state. And Patrick Tubbs and Humpty would just be awsome to watch. Both made ther teams what they were and are

O.R., Understood....I guess I am so old school, I am going back to when Craig Tubbs and Humpty would have been a match. It was just special for me to watch Glassco and Tubbs go at it.

As for who would win, 88 or 08, that is a tough one. I did not get to see that much of the 88 team (other then the State games), so I can't speak to loud, but this Cavs team would stack up against most teams in the area over the past 30 plus years.

GO CAVS!!!

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

i still think garin veris's cav team was tough....very strong inside game. 22-0 before losing a close one to eventual state champ canton mckinley on basically their home floor.

Lamont Cranston
Freshman Team

Post by Lamont Cranston »

Bronc, just a slight correction here, the '81 Chilly team with Veris and company did suffer their first loss against a talented Canton McKinley team in the Canton Civic Center. That team, as most remember, had the soon to be Ohio St. tandem of Ron Stokes and Troy Taylor, and were ranked #1 all year. What most people FORGET is that they suffered defeat the very next game after defeating the Cavs against a huge underdog in the regional title game... Wadsworth. Wadsworth would finish runner-up in the state in AAA to Dayton Roth. May have heard of one of Roth's stars also, just in another sport... he was Keith Byars.

Calling it like it is...
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

It would be a very good game; of course I would pick the Trojans to win.....by about 10 points.

Dominic McKinley would most likely be guarding Seth Dawes rather than Chambers.....David Barnes would be assigned Chambers, and would give Ray all he could handle.....the 6-5 Barnes went against quite a few guys taller and more athletic than him, and he always held his own....don't recall him really getting outplayed by anybody. He had 24 points and 24 rebounds vs. Kettering Alter in the regional semifinal at UD Arena, with Alter having a front line of 6-7 and 6-9.

McKinley was one of the best, if not the best, defenders in PHS history. Absolutely a lock down defender, and he proved it time and again....he also was the leading scorer with 22 points vs. West Geauga in the state championship game.

The other 3 matchups are about even.....Knights vs. Ricky White, Bo Burns vs. Stuart Beverly, and Anthony Hitchens vs. Patrick Tubbs. Tubbs vs. Hitchens would be a great matchup. I think Hitchens is more athletic than Patrick, but PT had a great quality about him......he was Mr. Clutch. Against Ironton, in the sectional final, with PHS down 52-44 and just over 4 minutes to play, Patrick scored 13 points from that point on and Portsmouth won over a very good IHS team 59-56.

As far as bench strength, I give the 88 Trojans the edge here....we had a number of kids who made clutch plays throughout the year and in the tourney........

Both teams defensively are solid, and their pace of play is similar. But in the final analysis the 88 Trojans brought home the BIG trophy, and I think the Cavaliers have a great chance to do the same.

If CHS wins the state........we will probably see this thread again.....and I will still pick my Trojans to win by 10......remember, 27-1 is the greatest record in PHS history, and we played a very competitive schedule, which is listed above.

Some people, including myself, though, think that the 1961 team may have been the greatest in PHS history....they won the BIG school state title with only 2 classes back then...quite an accomplishment and one that makes me feel very proud when I watch the level of talent on the D1 level.

The 1978 team had the most dynamic duo in Trojan history....Jeff Lisath and Craig Tubbs. It was virtually impossible to stop both of them, and this team really got hot at tourney time. But Jeff's clutch shot at the buzzer in the sectional final vs. Wheelersburg tied the game, and PHS won it in overtime. Craig's corner shot vs. Washington CH in the district final tied the game, and PHS won that game in overtime.

The 1978 team wasn't the most talented overall, but they had a great chemistry and coach Dick Hopkins coached a masterpiece in the title game vs. Cleveland Cathedral Latin....a team that was really about 20 points better than Portsmouth, but the Trojans executed Hopkins gameplan perfectly.
Last edited by trojandave on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

One of the greatest qualities about Coach Joe Suboticki was his ability to motivate his kids to play hard.....under his tenure, the Trojans seldom came out flat, and always seemed to play with a chip on their shoulder. They consistently would play tough defense, and Suboticki's press created many of Portsmouth's points.

To this day, I still am amazed that Suboticki compiled a 94-11 record in his 4 years at PHS.....by far the best winning pct. in Portsmouth history, and that includes a lot of very good coaches. In fact, including Coach Tom Smith's last season in 1987, the Trojans compiled a record of 116-14 through the 1991 season, which was Suboticki's last year. That 5 year mark is the best in PHS history, with 5 district titles, 2 regional titles, 1 regional runnerup, 1 state title, and 1 state runnerup.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Dave is right when Coach Joe Suboticki was here, he got everything he could out of EVERY player on the team, he is one of my favorite coaches of Portsmouth basketball .

you had to love seeing when a kid made a mistake, he did not have to wait on no buzzer, he already knew he was coming to the bench to be "coached " on it, and his replacement was already at the scorer table...and all with no arguments from anyone :lol:

Lamont Cranston
Freshman Team

Post by Lamont Cranston »

Ahhh, reminiscing is great. TrojanDave and Biggdowg you both bring back fond memories of some of the most impressive basketball this part of the state has seen. The Trojans were truly a machine under Suboticki, talented, yes, but the kids knew who the "Chief" was, and who the "Indians" were!!! As usual, it is probably unfair to both teams to compare one to the other... yet. This Chilly group has ONE, and only one Regional runner-up so far, their resume' is still being built. TrojanDave, you may have put it best by saying Coach Sub's teams played with a "chip" on their shoulder... Coach K has been really pushing this current crop of Cavs to play the same way, especially on the defensive end of the floor. When they are "on" their game, they can be suffocating. Hoping to see an excellent show tonight. Safe travels to all Trojan fans, and Go Cavs!!!

Calling it like it is...
ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Got to tell my own coach Sub story ---Being a hardcore GC guy I own up up to the fact that I hated every minute of his success at PHS . At a PHS - GC at GC a few years after I graduated I was watching him do his thing (whip up on us) and some contraversial play happened late in the game (maybe it 88' ???) and both benches were in an uproar and I shouted from a few rows behing the scores table "C'mon coach SHOW SOME CLASS " He came unglued --screamed "I"VE GOT CLASS " . And I thought for a moment he was considering a move into the stands ala Indy pacers- detroit pistons.

Not one my shining moments from my youth but a true story. Their teams were fantasic. He was the perfect coach for that system at that time --all they needed was disipline and he sure delivered it.

The left handed dude (Taylor) that played at Xavier was a lock down defender also. He had that huge wingspan. I did'nt enjoy playing against him. Going into PHS at that time 83-88 was an intimidating proposal. Lights dropped, Capt' Trojan came out under the spot light ---the place was totally electric. MD

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Good topic....but a little premature in a sense....Chillicothe will have to win the state title to be compared to a state championship team....just my opinion. I'm a Piketon fan and I enjoy watching coach Lisath flash his two state championship rings....I'm hoping it will rub off on our young Redstreaks.....we will be the talk on here in a couple of years. I know Jeff is on jjhuddle, so maybe he will join SEOP and give us his take on the Chillicothe team and his hometown Trojans.

Return to “Boys Basketball”