South Webster 2007-2008

webstertown
Waterboy

South Webster 2007-2008

Post by webstertown »

Could this be the worst webster team in school history? My son played on the team from 2002-2005 and they had there ups and downs thru those years but I really dont see a contest where going into the game from here on out that the jeeps are going to be favored. I cant stand watching teams beat up on my jeeps it hurts because of the success ive watched over the years. I realize they dont have the players right now but I truly dont see a player on the roster besides Loop who in the near Future has the ability to score. The jeeps need a player who is there go to guy for them to succeed and that they dont have. Ive heard that Loops little brother is going to be special but the kid is in the 8th grade.These first four years are going to be really tough on Coach reese i feel bad for the situation that he has came into after what Marc walked into. Ill state this now and forever hold my peace if South Webster finds a 15+ scorer they will compete or they can get big Basham and Gee to bang underneath. I hate seeing this to a school whose had great things happen recently. Keep your heads up guys from here on out the only way to go is up and it takes hard work and desire. I will be there every Friday night cheering my butt off for you guys hand in there and do your best thats all we ask

GO JEEPS!

jeepgirl_4life
Riding the Bench

Post by jeepgirl_4life »

The Loop brother (the one in the 8th grade) is one of 4 exceptional 8th graders. He doesn't stand out in that crowd. There are other athletes in that group who have stepped up and could very well surpass him in the future.

And as far as the varsity team goes, we will never know if there is someone who could consistently score 15+ due to the amount of turnovers (made by our point guards) and the inability to put in the bench to see if someone is capable of stepping up to be the "go to" guy. It is obvious that the first 5 - 7 don't have it. What have we got to lose? Another game?

This team is the result of a state championship bid. We successfully achieved that goal but these individuals were left behind in that pursuit. They were not developed. There was no one who seriously considered continuing "the tradition" by putting their time into these students.

Kudos to Coach Reese. He is a very special man. He is not beating these boys up. He is not making them feel like dirt. He is trying to build them up and give them some dignity. I know I appreciate him for his self-control and obvious positive disposition.

You gotta love a kid that works hard and has heart!
southernpride
Riding the Bench

Post by southernpride »

Nice of you to get on here and bash these players. Welcome to the world of division 4 basketball. Small schools are not always going to have incredible teams and you have to learn to live with the ups and downs. True fans understand this and stand by their team and help to support the team even when they may be losing. Nothing peeves me more than the people who ride the coattails during a hot streak only to dissappear when times are hard. I will tell you that I feel that Reese is the right coach for this team and the right coach for this school. I personally know alot of these players and can't understand why someone would post on a message board to bash them. Hopefully, when the team is doing better towards the end of the year, you can write something nice about them. Good luck the rest of the year, Jeeps, and don't let the negativity bring you down.

osumufan
SE

Re: South Webster 2007-2008

Post by osumufan »

webstertown wrote:Could this be the worst webster team in school history? My son played on the team from 2002-2005 and they had there ups and downs thru those years but I really dont see a contest where going into the game from here on out that the jeeps are going to be favored. I cant stand watching teams beat up on my jeeps it hurts because of the success ive watched over the years. I realize they dont have the players right now but I truly dont see a player on the roster besides Loop who in the near Future has the ability to score. The jeeps need a player who is there go to guy for them to succeed and that they dont have. Ive heard that Loops little brother is going to be special but the kid is in the 8th grade.These first four years are going to be really tough on Coach reese i feel bad for the situation that he has came into after what Marc walked into. Ill state this now and forever hold my peace if South Webster finds a 15+ scorer they will compete or they can get big Basham and Gee to bang underneath. I hate seeing this to a school whose had great things happen recently. Keep your heads up guys from here on out the only way to go is up and it takes hard work and desire. I will be there every Friday night cheering my butt off for you guys hand in there and do your best thats all we ask

GO JEEPS!

First you bash then you try to get sweet in the end. what's up with that :? In the good ole days when they were winning there would be 100 posts on a SW topic in one day. I guess your bandwagon fans are gone. The boys need to keep their heads up and work hard on the game and try to have fun even in a loss. I know this is hard and I have been there in that situation as a player and a coach. There are way more important thengs in life than this season and the kids need to be told that. I wish the jeeps luck!

I feel for the boys that are playing. I did see a lot of dissention among a couple of the players when they played South Point.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

webstertown: I see where you're coming from, but what did you honestly expect from this team with a freshman and sophomore as your backcourt? Add on top of that the fact that it is the most balanced SOC II from top to bottom in probably the last 10 years, and it's a recipe for a 3-17 season.

Part of the problem is Webster's lack of size this year. There are no Brett Roberts or Nick Aldridge-sized kids, and that has always been a problem for Webster. Secondly, Webster is always going to be at a physical disadvantage everytime they step on the court in the SOC II as long as they don't have a football team. Third, how many of these upperclassmen actually got meaningful varsity minutes the last 2-3 years? Lastly, new coach with new system equals transition period with some rough spots regardless of the quality of athletes.

Southernpride hit the nail on the head...small schools will always have talent cycles. And right now, Webster is in a down cycle. If you want to follow schools that seemingly don't have down talent cycles, then Wheelersburg is about your only choice. Expectations are just too high for this program right now. Basically, Webster has always been a middle-of-the-pack SOC II team and a one-and-done D3 tourney team with a trip to Districts mixed in about every 6-8 years. Then the perfect storm happens with Nick Aldridge and Co. coming along at the exact same time Webster drops down to D4, and people now think that Webster should be a powerhouse and get to Regionals on a yearly basis. Not going to happen people.

As for the Jeeps the rest of the year, their goal ought to be to be competitive in every SOC II game (i.e. stay within 10-15pts), win all their nonconference games left, and win a game or two in the D4 tourney. Good luck Coach Reese and the Jeeps and keep playing hard.*

basketballparent
Freshman Team

Post by basketballparent »

The Loop brother (the one in the 8th grade) is one of 4 exceptional 8th graders. He doesn't stand out in that crowd. There are other athletes in that group who have stepped up and could very well surpass him in the future.

And as far as the varsity team goes, we will never know if there is someone who could consistently score 15+ due to the amount of turnovers (made by our point guards) and the inability to put in the bench to see if someone is capable of stepping up to be the "go to" guy. It is obvious that the first 5 - 7 don't have it. What have we got to lose? Another game?

This team is the result of a state championship bid. We successfully achieved that goal but these individuals were left behind in that pursuit. They were not developed. There was no one who seriously considered continuing "the tradition" by putting their time into these students.

Kudos to Coach Reese. He is a very special man. He is not beating these boys up. He is not making them feel like dirt. He is trying to build them up and give them some dignity. I know I appreciate him for his self-control and obvious positive disposition.

Jeepgirl....I would love to know who you are because I would like to pat you on the back. I read this post yesterday...and was STEAMING. I couldn't decide how I would want to reply to this post and sound like a decent human being. You said everything that I wanted to say using very good manners and very good points.
These boys ARE the forgotten boys. When they needed the experience and the valuable tools taught to them in practice and games, they were on the sidelines watching the Dream team practice. I am not bashing the fact that we went to state. I loved the whole experience. But you can't bash these boys that were forgotten in the experience. My son is on the varsity team. He is discouraged after every game they have had so far. I tell him to hold his head up and do the best he can. And I absolutely agree with you Jeepgirl, pull from the bench more...try a different combination of boys and see what works and who can work together to make them a better team. I hope the second half of the season goes better for these boys.

Webstertown:
My advice to you is to go watch a junior high game. There is more talent on that team than what you may think. Loop is a good player but so are several others on that team.
Plus if you have been to any of the High School games, have you not noticed Matt Malone and Trevor Queen? Trevor has really stepped up this year and played some good ball.

JeepFamily18
Waterboy

Post by JeepFamily18 »

I have been at every game except one and I am sure that twice I have seen every player come off the bench. Geeze people!!! Lighten up!! You need to remember that we are a tiny little school in a tiny little town and what happened to us in recent years was the exception...not the rule. Just go to the games, cheer for your Jeeps, have faith in your players and your coach that they are all doing the best they can with what they have. We may never have a championship team again. If we dont thats ok, we will have enjoyed the one we had. You need to remember that for every senior on that team, this is his last year to play ball for the Jeeps...dont trash that. He wouldnt be out there playing his heart out if he didnt want to be. You need to remember to respect the effort...not the outcome. If we end the year with the one win that we have then the sun will still rise, there will be another season and SW will be fine. Get a grip people....and Merry Christmas :)

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

sounds like kreischer knew when to hit the road. this season would have tarnished his great record.

webstertown
Waterboy

Post by webstertown »

jeepgirl_4life The Loop kid is the best kid in his class and has the best potential coming to jeep basketball in the future. I've watched a couple jr.high home games this season and it really sets me of watching coaches on the bench that have never coached before and the head coach of the 8th grade never played basketball before. Im tired of webster making excuses for there lack of success. Coaches make players in the SUMMER thats when a player will improve the most and every good coach would say the same.

For the people asking for the bench to come in who are you wanting Coach Reese to bring into the game? He has the players in there playing because they are better and probably work harder in practice.

As for being on the ups and downs and being a bandwagon jumper i also had a son that played in the late 90's and his team was lucky to win 8 games a season so please dont consider myself a bangwagon jumper considering I've probably followed or been apart of jeeps basketball for over 30 years and proudly counting!

I always thought SEOPS was a place for fans to ask questions and state there own thoughts. I really dont belive they created this so the players could log on everyday and see who is talking high of them and who is bashing them. I bet over half the kids on every team have never heard of SEOPS. And I don remember bashing any of the kids on South Websters team. I was truly ASKING is this the Worst Team in South Webster basketball history?

Go Jeeps!

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

I doubt highly that this team is the worst in history. And I've seen some teams that were not very good come through South Webster since 1975 when I started following them. Regardless, this is a transition with a new coach, and the fact that the kids get very little instruction in Junior High makes it worse. It's always been that way at South Webster. Just check out Wheelersburg. Do you think they have a band teacher coaching their kids in Junior High? Because that's what we had when I was in school.

JeepFamily18, tell your son thank you for playing, keep working hard, and pay little attention to some of the posts on this board. It doesn't matter what their record, the true Jeep fans will still follow them regardless.
I am going to be up there in Jan. to watch the boys play East and the girls play Oak HIll. And I don't care if they don't win a game until then I think they are worth the expense and time of the trip!

And by the way, Kreisher left because of a better financial position for his family. He doesn't seem like the type to run from a challenge to me.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

are you saying kreischer didn't have other financial opprtunities prior to this school year? do you think he would have taken a job worth a ton of money two years ago if the opportunity arose?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

webstetown: I do agree with your point about junior high program at Webster. It seems to me that the varsity coach would want to take a hands on approach all the way down to the biddy league level. I don't see that happening at Webster, and never have in the past. I can think of several retired baskeball persons around Webster who'd probably coach these teams for a minimal price, if not for free.

Also, I think its time people get on board with football at Webster. As long as they remain in SOC II, they'll ALWAYS be at a physical disadvantage to every other school in the conference whenever they step on the court. Unless they get a year-round weightlifting program for these kids, it's never going to change. Add football to the equation, and alot of kids that have never seen a weightroom would be doing it year-round.

Like I said, what Webster had with Aldridge and Co. was the exception, not the norm. There will always be down years mixed in, but hopefully they will get back to being a competitve SOC II team and a D4 Regional contender in the next year or two. Things will definitely get better with Scott, Loops, and Queen the next couple of years. Stay patient Jeep fans and keep supporting these boys regardless though.*

JeepFamily18
Waterboy

Post by JeepFamily18 »

Jeep80 - While I appreciate the sentiment, I do not have a son that plays, I am just a good parent and try to be supportive to all the kids, mine or not. Thanks for the kind words anyway...I will pass them to a good friend of mine who does have a son that plays.

Kreischer was approached with an opportunity he could not pass up, and he almost did it anyway. But in the end, good sense won out and he took the position where he saw the most potential, like any good family man would do. I have seen him at several games. Those of you who speak ill of him apparently do not know him or his wife.

If we are talking about up and coming talent there are several boys in the freshman class that are going to develop nicely. Ashton Miller may not be tall, but he plays with great intensity and with every inch of himself...and he shoots a nice three. Connor Scott is getting his recognition now by playing varsity, but he will continue to develop nicely, his mistakes are young ones and will diminish with time. For some reason everyone overlooks the talent in the Malone duo. Matt is doing great things for varsity now and his little brother Brandon is only adding to the talent. Billy Thurmer and Corey Haywood are bringing some good height to our future and they show no lack of talent at the JV level. When we take this class (including all the ones I did not mention) and put them together with the talent of Loop, Pearson and company in the 8th grade we are in for a treat. This doesnt mean we overlook the team out there playing now. They practice, they sweat, they play, they deserve our support...period.

For those of you that think the kids dont read this stuff...think again. Dont kid yourself into thinking they dont even know this is here. These kids dont remember a life without computers, the internet and everything on it is a vital part of their lives, trust me, they know.

As for football, everything that can be done is being done. These things take years to develop and we just completed our second year so be patient. Its a tricky balance and the size of our district works against us. As with most things in life, it comes down to money and the numbers are being crunched. When and if it is possible, it will happen. The pee wee program is a huge success.

jeepgirl_4life
Riding the Bench

Post by jeepgirl_4life »

FYI: Not a band wagoneer. I've been watching South Webster sports since the 70's.

Webstertown: As a parent I feel for our boys team. I have one that is on the varsity team. I know they don't want to be know as the "worst" team in SW history. Actually, this whole question really disturbs me. If it does turn out that they have the worst record is it really necessary to acknowledge it? After the past few years of success, do we need to label this team as "worst"?

And then the fact that you could only credit one individual on the team is another slap in the face. There are 15 young men on this team. I would love to see our team have individuals that could score 10 a game and go 8 or deeper off the bench to get those points instead of depending on one or two individuals to score the majority of the points.

Jeepfamily18: My point of pulling from the bench doesn't mean that once you have given up you put in the remaining players for some PT with 30 sec - 3 mins left in the 4th quarter. When your starters have committed 30+ turnovers in a game, maybe looking deeper earlier in the game isn't gonna hurt anything.

And I have a senior on this team. I am well aware of it being their last games. These seniors aren't going to get the opportunity to come back next year with the opportunity to put a bad season behind them.

I think Coach Reese has some vested interest in the younger Jeeps. He has a son in the 7th grade. I know he talks with the coaching staff (new as they are or unexperience) and is working to build something that will carry over to the high school level. My understanding is that Coach was involved in the decision to hire the Jr Hi coaches. These are individuals he felt would work with him to build a program.

And as far as football.....YES!!!!!! It would help build our program. But, until that happens, we need people that could help with a weight lifting program year round. Not just for football and basketball, but all sports. Some one who would be dependable and knowledgable. Our currrent coaching staff is over worked and I don't think any of them are trained in weight lifting/body building. But I know quite a few young men who would seriously be interested in working in a program if someone would work with and train them.

You gotta love a kid that works hard and has heart!
WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

It has been said,"Be careful what you wish for because you just may get it". Football could be just such a beast for South Webster. It will take a long time to build a winning program, could be years. In the mean time some very good talent will occasionally appear but without a supporting
cast one could very well expect this potential star to seek greener pastures by using that dreaded option of "open enrollment" and ply his wears elsewhere. South Webster could very well become a developmental farm system for the football powerhouses in the area. I am not saying this is the way it will be; just that it sure is something to think about. If it does happen, please do not chastise the young man who tries to better his position in life due to the fact that his sports development is somewhat better than that of his peers.

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

This should sum it up in a NUT shell. 1st things 1st, as an Adult u DONT put down a kid that is working Hard at ANYTHING whether it be on an single or a Group thing. EVERYBODY that is involved whether it be a friend or parent or a coach needs to incuriage them, Yes thing happen an they get yelled at an told they need to pick it up. But that happens in a work place also. Just look at the Girls program they wasnt very good for several year an didnt get much support know take a LOOK!!!! The boys are going thru the samething as the the girls program has, so everybody that is bashing these kids needs to step back an think before u SPEAK! I know everyone of these kids both girls an boys an have coached them wheither it be on a basketball court or a baseball field or a softball field. These kids will give u everything that they've got in them. SO SUPPORT THEM DONT BASH THEM OR THEY WILL LEAVE!!

my-right3
Waterboy

Post by my-right3 »

I know everyone of these kids both girls an boys an have coached them wheither it be on a basketball court or a baseball field or a softball field. These kids will give u everything that they've got in them. SO SUPPORT THEM DONT BASH THEM OR THEY WILL LEAVE!!

You said a mouth full SENDEM! The community knows these boys and girls and each and every one of them deserves the respect and support that has been given to all the teams in the past. Lets show each player all the support, not just a select few....(like the starters or the bench that plays). They all need encouragement, right down to the Jr. High and biddy ball teams. THANKS FOR PLAYING BASKETBALL WEBSTER KIDS-WITHOUT YOU THERE WOULD BE NO TEAMS FOR THE FANS TO ATTEND AND WATCH!!!! WITHOUT YOU THERE WOULD BE NOTHING!!!!!!

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Good post sendum!
Everyone up there in South Webster get behind these guys. They need your support more now than when the teams were contending for state titles!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Glad to see so many people on here that care for Webster basketball and the boys who show up to play every night from November through late February. I don't care if these boys go 0-21 every year, they should be respected and encouraged for the hard work and discipline it takes to commit to a sport and stick with that commitment. Even if these boys would end up having one of the worst records in school history...they're still winners in my book.

As for Kreischer, he had to make that move for his family and himself. He still cares for these kids and people should respect his decision and be thankful for his time at Webster, even if he would end up coaching Oak Hill or someone else in a few years.

whitewhiskers: it's already happening. Whether you are for football or not (which I am for), the peewee program is up and flying and has been a huge success. So if the school district doesn't do something quick, the school will lose athletes to Burg, Minford and East who want to continue playing football once they get to junior high. I know money is always an issue, but I cannot fathom how schools like Green, East, Trimble, Racine Southern, Symmes Valley, etc. can field football teams and Webster cannot.

jeepgirl18: That's great to hear that Coach Reese is interested in the junior high program. I also agree about the weightlifting part, and feel that football would be the catalyst to make it happen on a consistent basis If not football though, maybe the school could pay someone a supplemental contract to establish a voluntary weightlifting/cardio/nutrition program a couple of nights/week year-round available to all sports? If not, maybe a volunteer?*

webstertown
Waterboy

Post by webstertown »

SENDEM- Where are they going to leave to? You cannot play basketball at another school untill next season!

The people saying that the Junior High coaching situation is ok you personally dont know basketball. It is a complete joke honestly I hate it for the Junior High kids to have to be apart of it. I stated before that one has never played basketball before and he has reminded me of it as i watch him coach. I can tell in Coach Reeses eyes when he watches them play what he cant stand to watch the boys be apart of it. Webster needs youth coaches who know what they are doing SO PLEASE if you READ THIS AND YOU KNOW what you are doing-COACH! Help the program its not like we have no talent its talent that never gets used that hurts.

For a team to be succesful your going to need a go-to player he doesnt have to average 20+ but he needs to be able to score when needed and thats what Im saying webster is lacking look at the past of these years..

1997- Kyle Estepp
1998- Josh Stevens/Eric Mcclintic
1999- Eric Mcclintic
2000- Eric Mcclintic/Justin Lower
2001- Justin Lower
2002- David Shope/ Michael Coriell
2003- Michael Coriell
2004- Nick Aldridge
2005- Nick Aldridge
2006- Nick Aldridge/Brigham Waginger
2007- Josh Campbell
2008- ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Return to “Boys Basketball”