burggrad1986
Riding the Bench

Wheelersburg vs. Waverly updates?

Post by burggrad1986 »

any updates on the score yet

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

On 99.3 they said Burg was up 48-34....not sure if it was just before or just after the half...

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Wheelersburg won 50-37

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Great job Pirates!!

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Wow, the Tigers struggling to score. Congrats to the Pirates. I thought the game would be closer, but it looks like the Pirates D got the job done.

burggrad1986
Riding the Bench

Post by burggrad1986 »

nice job boys.....keep it going

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

I was really suprsied with the offense Waverly is running, too much stuff staying on the outside. Walls is a beast inside and needs the ball more. Burg would collapse two- three guys around him and he still could make a strong move to the basket. He also stepped outside for good looks at the three pointer.

Burg was able to move the ball around well and hit some open jumpers. The defense was very good all night. This was a nice win for Burg going into the break.

In the JV game, both teams seemed to have a hard time putting the ball in the basket. Waverly was able to run some backdoor cuts during the game and pick up some easy baskets. One thing I do not understand is why have freshmen on the JV team if you do not play them. Waverly, if I am not mistaken only played six guys the entire JV game. I know they have a couple of freshmen that could be getting major minutes if they were playing freshmen ball.

It was nice to meet you tigers2010.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

It was good to meet you alabama mike.

Waverly has not gotten into any kind of rhythm yet and rely totally on Walls. He will get his 20-25 every night, but if others don't step up and score it will be a long season. Last night Arnett chipped in 9 with three 3 pointers but the next man was Good with 3 points. We had some guys score against Valley, lead by Conley's 16, but gave up 80 points. Walls lead at Rock Hill with 20 followed by Murray with 7. At Northwest, Walls 23, followed by Arnett with 15 (all 3's) and Conley 10. No-one else had more than 3. Even in the win at South Webster Walls had 23 followed by Conley and Good with 8.

Burg hit shots and Waverly didn't. If guys are afraid to shoot the ball they'll never make them. You have to shoot em to make em.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

i can't believe the game wasn't on the radio

CMo
JV Team

Post by CMo »

Mad_Dogg wrote:i can't believe the game wasn't on the radio

The Valley and Minford game was on the radio. Too far for the 99.3 boys to drive I guess. :lol: :lol: The Minford and Valley game had to of been an excitiing game to listen to though.

Gucci
Riding the Bench

Post by Gucci »

As others have stated Waverly's offense is absolutely struggling to put points on the board. There needs to be more ball movement and player movement instead of standing and holding onto the basketball. Whether the defense is playing man-to-man or zone, you have to move the ball around and force the defense to move and react.
As far as shooting goes, you shouldn't be playing if you're afraid to take an open shot. However, it's almost too late to improve your shooting. That should take place in the offseason.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Gucci wrote:As others have stated Waverly's offense is absolutely struggling to put points on the board. There needs to be more ball movement and player movement instead of standing and holding onto the basketball. Whether the defense is playing man-to-man or zone, you have to move the ball around and force the defense to move and react.
As far as shooting goes, you shouldn't be playing if you're afraid to take an open shot. However, it's almost too late to improve your shooting. That should take place in the offseason.

Excellent points Gucci! This was my first time to see Waverly this year so I can only base my opinion on last night. I thought when Waverly made the run in the 3rd quarter, they played a faster tempo. Too many times last night, the offensive end was slow with standing and holding instead of movement. The Tigers have too much talent to be playing the pace they are currently playing IMO. See y'all in a few weeks at the Palace.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

CMo wrote:
Mad_Dogg wrote:i can't believe the game wasn't on the radio

The Valley and Minford game was on the radio. Too far for the 99.3 boys to drive I guess. :lol: :lol: The Minford and Valley game had to of been an excitiing game to listen to though.

The Minford/Valley game was also streamed live on the internet. There was a link on the thread about the game. I watched the game and these guys do a great job of broadcasting the game. I'd like to see other schools do the same thing and I'm sure most of them have the technology, they would just need someone to step up and take the reins to get it going.

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

This was a good game. Both teams are still trying to find themselves a little bit. They both have some talent back from last year, but both are still looking for some new people to step in and fill some of the holes from graduation.

http://www.jjhuddle.com/news/story.php?article=925

tiger_4_ever
Waterboy

Post by tiger_4_ever »

Rumor through the "Barber Shop", which has all the current accurate news, says coaches working hard, new combinations being attempted and that difficult times bring difficult practices!!

Good luck Tigers!!!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!
Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

tiger_4_ever wrote:Rumor through the "Barber Shop", which has all the current accurate news, says coaches working hard, new combinations being attempted and that difficult times bring difficult practices!!

Good luck Tigers!!!

Sometimes you have to shake the tree to get the best apples. I know Barrick changed his starting lineup to include a freshman(Andy Stegman) and a sophmore(Tyler Lang) and it has worked great so far.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
tiger_4_ever wrote:Rumor through the "Barber Shop", which has all the current accurate news, says coaches working hard, new combinations being attempted and that difficult times bring difficult practices!!

Good luck Tigers!!!

Sometimes you have to shake the tree to get the best apples. I know Barrick changed his starting lineup to include a freshman(Andy Stegman) and a sophmore(Tyler Lang) and it has worked great so far.

As a avid basketball follower, I like the Stegman kid (freshman). Good move by Barrick.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Yeah, I do too. He has a good knowledge of what he needs to do and what is expected out of him that you normally don't see in a freshman. He is very aggressive around the basket and doesn't back down from anyone. I have a feeling he is going to be force to be reckoned with by the time he is a senior.

Return to “Boys Basketball”