GAHS varsity basketball down this year?

jottings
SEOPS H

Osborne announces scrimmage dates

Post by jottings »

During Friday morning's prayer breakfast at Grace United Methodist Church, GAHS head basketball coach Jim Osborne announced dates for four scrimmages prior to the 2007-08 opener against Meigs at Meigs in late November.

Drills will begin Monday, Oct. 29. The scrimmage dates are:

Nov. 13--At Alexander (9th, Jv, Varsity) 6:30-7 pm.

Nov. 17--Eastern, home (Jv,Varsity, (Jv at Nazerene Church)

Nov. 19--at Rio Grande (9th, JV, Varsity) Circleville and Ross Southeastern , 6:30 p.m.

Nov. 24--Fairland (9th, JV, Varsity) morning, time not set yet.

Osborne was guest speaker for the final football prayer breakfast of the year.

Old School Blue Fan
Waterboy

Post by Old School Blue Fan »

4 ever, I think you are right that we should compare salaries with other schools our size. But on the other hand to have administrators retire than the school board rehire them is assinine. One in particular recently retired and made 65,000.00 per year, got rehired back at 90% I believe and also gets a retirement check and was rehired for 4 more years. That meens she makes 58,500.00 per year plus a retirement. The teachers in contrast can only rehire one year at a time. Are we supposed to beleive that no one else wants these jobs. We tell our kids to go to schoolm and become teachers and when they are ready to get a job they are turned away because we "retired, rehired one". These rehires draw money out of the retirement system and put no money back into it. Every retirement system counts on the new employees putting new money into it. There is a good old boy network in Gallipolis and that is a FACT. That being said I will never take that out on any kid and will support GAHS athletics and academics with all I have.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

"There is a good old boy network in Gallipolis and that is a FACT." If you are one of the boy's, you have it made...... People in Gallipolis are scared to death of change..... Things will never improve until at least 10 of the good old boys are removed........ I have said this for years.... Always falls on deaf ears........ I fear the worst is yet to come..........

jottings
SEOPS H

Who are they?

Post by jottings »

Suoerblue...Who are your 10 "good ole boys"? If you are speaking of politics, bet my "10 good ole boys" are differant than yours.

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

The BB coach is #1..... Over rated & over paid. :lol:

jottings
SEOPS H

How aboue those trying to get a piece of the action?

Post by jottings »

Mine would be those who are trying to get a piece of the action in the city, county governments, plus both school boards.

jottings
SEOPS H

17 report for first GAHS cage drills

Post by jottings »

Counted 17 boy prospects during Monday evening's first GAHS boys basketball drills in the Blue Devil gym.

Didn't see Chris McCoy or Cole Jones.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Old School Blue Fan wrote:4 ever, I think you are right that we should compare salaries with other schools our size. But on the other hand to have administrators retire than the school board rehire them is assinine. One in particular recently retired and made 65,000.00 per year, got rehired back at 90% I believe and also gets a retirement check and was rehired for 4 more years. That meens she makes 58,500.00 per year plus a retirement. The teachers in contrast can only rehire one year at a time. Are we supposed to beleive that no one else wants these jobs. We tell our kids to go to schoolm and become teachers and when they are ready to get a job they are turned away because we "retired, rehired one". These rehires draw money out of the retirement system and put no money back into it. Every retirement system counts on the new employees putting new money into it. There is a good old boy network in Gallipolis and that is a FACT. That being said I will never take that out on any kid and will support GAHS athletics and academics with all I have.

I am opposed to "retire and rehire".

1. It does not allow for anyone to "move up the ladder' in their career.
2.It does not make any room for a "new hire'.
3. It is "double dipping" on the retirement system.
4. It may be legal, but IMO it is unethical.

Having said this, I like Oz, think he is a great coach. If you wanna stay coach, don't retire.

I dunno about the "good ol' boy" firsthand, but this goes on in many other employment areas.

I wish the government would make it illegal. Right is right, and wrong is wrong.

fasteach
Varsity

Post by fasteach »

enough teacher pay bashing. do you complain about how much a dr. makes? how about an attorney? doesn't make sense if you can get the same teacher that you know can do the job and save yourself $10,000 you do it? that money stayes here and pays for extra equipment, a new bus, whatever. your money is saved. you still have the same great teacher( and if they have survived log enough to retire they must be good)! a teachers retirment is just that theirs. would you want me to tell you how to handle yours? make it a law that once you retire you cannot ever work at something else? how many cops and firemen do we lose? how many military?you have someone who makes it in his profession 30+ years retires when he is 65 and you feel he owes you anything?
you're wrong!

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

I am not wrong.
It is simple.
If you wanna work, work. Just don't retire and double dip.
Simple. Right is right, wrong is wrong.

BTW, I never bashed a teachers pay. Are you saying that a 30-50 year teacher is making the same money as an entry level teacher?
Also, where would YOU be if the school system were full of these so-called retirees when you needed a job?

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Agree with ya 100% Grad. Someone on here needs an accounting lesson. Rehire someone for 60 or hire 2 new teachers fo 60?????? Next year they must pay insurance for the rehires.... Ask the teachers what they think...... Just look who they have rehired...It makes me sick. :oops:

Old School Blue Fan
Waterboy

Your right super blue, people are forgetting that this is different than a doctor or any other profession. This is your tax payer dollars, I for one think that change is good and younger teachers need a job too. If you want to continue teaching or being an administrator than do not retire keep working. To the best of my knowledge there are only 2 teachers in the system who are currently "retired, rehired', but more than that on the adminisration side, teachers are one year at a time and administrators are apparently as they see fit. GOOD OLD BOY NETWORK at its best.

Old School Blue Fan
Waterboy

Jottings, I am glad there are 17 boys or so going out, whoever does not go out will regret it later in life. I learned more from OZ on lifes lessons than I did playing hoops. He will coach who is there and work hard. GO BLUE

Bigblue
Waterboy

Post by Bigblue »

I agree with most of you why should we rehire a teacher or admin at 90% when you can hire a new teacher for 20-30 thousand less?

The thing that has been said is that if they retire rehire they do not pay into teachers retirement they just draw back out and on the second one they pay into their own personal retirement to be used the second time around. So instead of a new teacher that comes in and will pay into the retirement they are drawing out money and not putting any back.

Another thing that make no sense is that when the schools were trying to pass the red dot they kept saying that we (the town) need to grow and create new jobs but why is the school not allowing new jobs to be made?

If you want to work don't RETIRE!!!!!

fasteach
Varsity

Post by fasteach »

who would you want working on your car, someone who has been at it for years or someone just out of high school? i for 1 would want someone with experience.
where do you work? i want to go and complain about what YOU make. maybe we could hire a couple of illegals to do your job for $ 4 per day. we could save your customers LOTS!

superblue
All Conference

Post by superblue »

Some people will never get it.......... :lol:

Bigblue
Waterboy

Post by Bigblue »

Fasteach

Believe it or not they have to leave sometime!!!

I am not sure I might want the new guy working on my car maybe someone with new ideas and excited about their job!

I would also like the new teacher as well someone that has just left college and is ready to do great things.

I have no problem with teachers and principals making good money I just feel that if they want to work don't retire.

FrankieG
Freshman Team

Post by FrankieG »

Fasteach: VC does not have a6`7 boy.He is 6`5 Dustin Guthrie about 235 We wish he was that though,but we can't grow them that tall.

fasteach
Varsity

my bad

Post by fasteach »

i have seen that kid play, and mostly beat, meigs since 7th grade. sorry to add 2" to him. he is a good center though.

fasteach
Varsity

Post by fasteach »

doctors don't get paid by taxpayers? what world do you come from? ssi and social security are both tax based, are those people going to the hospital? i think so.
same with lawyers.
i for 1 would want a teacher who knows what he is doing. 50% of what you learn in college is garbage you never use. i know. give me a teacher who has done it before and can show you things that new teachers don't never know.
last word on this

Return to “Boys Basketball”