Valley Indians (2007-2008)

fanman
Waterboy

Post by fanman »

I heard the Indians had a scrimmage against Chesapeake and Manchester, How did they look?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Can we get some updates on how things have went in the scrimmages? Have they ran like we have all heard they are going to run?

recall
Waterboy

Post by recall »

They did, its going to be an interesting season!

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

^^^

Don't do that to me bud. You know me better than that. Elaborate just a little.

valleyfan07
Varsity

Post by valleyfan07 »

Crab's brother wrote:^^^

I don't know anything about that particular situation, or the new coach for that matter. What I do know, which is from a very reliable source, is that this coach has a system that requires a certain type of player. He has no ties to the area or the people from Lucasville, which means he is going to cut who he feels cannot help him and keep who he feels will contribute. I love this situation for the Valley Indians. Gone are the days that a coach feels that he has to keep and play certain players so to keep the peace. I am looking forward to watching the Indians for the first time since they let Scott go. I am going to give the new guy a chance to revive the program and see what happens with the talent that he keeps.

I agree, the politicing gets ridiculous. I do agree with recall however and the one who was cut was a pretty decent player, hope coach knows what he is doing on this.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

^^ I do know about this situation. He is a talented player, but the facts are the player didn't do the things that he needed to do to make the team.

valleyfan07
Varsity

Post by valleyfan07 »

Well, that's what matters!! I agree that we need to give this coach a chance, he seems to be pretty good. Has to better than the last 2 years!

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Saw them against Unioto. They will struggle against the SOCII competition. Their uptempo style will get them in trouble with The upper level teams. I did like their aggressiveness. They really like the jumpshot and three. Not much post play. Is this by design?

recall
Waterboy

Post by recall »

Bengalfan76, probably one of the strongest post players in the league this year didn't play against Unioto or hasn't played in any scrimmages this year so far.

Crabs......
I agree about giving the coach a chance but if your up by five or ten points and you sub all five of your players out for kids who either a. have never played high school basketball before, or b. should not be @ the Varsity level yet; will get you in deep trouble. No slam to the kids @ all, i wish these kids the best of luck and hope I'm totally wrong but, the coach's run and gun philosophy will not work!

These kids cant seem to get into the flow of the game because a soon as it starts here comes the posse! No set plays just shoot the ball. The faster the shot the more shots you get to take. If you make enough of the shots you just might win. That is what these kids are being taught!

I like the defensive scheme; press and try to score off of it. Thats good, but know when to pull back if goes south!

It seems to me that he's trying to make everyone happy; that's fine but, those who know anything about high school athletics can say it's about winning and setting goals not getting your buddies kid a shot @ playing or returning a favor.

Nevertheless, i wish the kids the best of luck and a very competitive season. GO INDIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

recall
Waterboy

Post by recall »

Crabs-brother; is that enough elaboration bud!

IndianFanof2
Waterboy

are we talking about the same team?

Post by IndianFanof2 »

I cant help but be perplexed and somewhat amused by RECALL S comments. Are you trying to appear to be 'in the know' on these things? Do you 'know' what you're talking about ..or just yappin'? Just a question. Sooooo, this coach with no ties to Lucasville is 'trying to make everyone happy'...and letting his buddy's kid take the shots huh? Have you actually watched them play? A newbie to Lucasville....what buddies? :? It is comical to me that the season hasnt even started...yet some sit in judgment with helpful comments such as 'it's never going to work'. Keep telling this new coach that. Keep telling the boys that. That's really good for the community pride and morale of the KIDS that we're watching and supporting. It must really do the young men good to read these posts on here.

Hmmmmm. Interesting. I must've been at different scrimmages than you. One of us is clearly not talking about the 07-08 Valley Indians. I dont see any one being shown the 'favoritism' that's been exhibited in the past. I've seen hard work rewarded, mistakes pointed out. I'm willing to sit back, let the coach do the coaching and enjoy watching my son play ball for someone who's teaching him more than basketball. There is a bigger picture here, it's called Life. It's called setting goals and working towards them, no matter how many people criticize you or think you're ideas are foolish. I welcome the changes the new coach is making. I think we need to get behind him and 'OUR' boys and support them 100%!! Everyone plays with the same orange ball. It's hard work, dedication and 'want to' that makes all the difference. Let's be positive. If nothing else, it will be a very interesting basketball season!

Go INDIANS! :-D You guys are AWESOME! You have a lot of energy and you're fun to watch! Keep up the hard work Fellas!

E_Waugh
Freshman Team

Post by E_Waugh »

I dont know anything about the coach... but I wish the Indians the best this season... hopefully things will go well for you all...

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

I have to agree with IndianFanof2, there has been no show of favoritism. The shots come when they come. I have seen the coach criticize players for not shooting. In the past the walk it up the court - pass it half a dozen times netted the program 18 wins in three years, so why not do it some more. The kids appear to enjoy the style, no one has to sit for very long and getting in the flow of the game shouldn't be a problem in this system. Once the ball is in play, the flow is play your tails off or get out of the game. I for one appreciate the energy and positive attitude the coach has installed into the players and the program. The program was certainly headed down a dead end street. Just look at this years roster. Players who would not have even been around are playing, contributing, and apparently having fun.
Good luck Indians - I hear you comin'.

Guru
Waterboy

Post by Guru »

Who is looking good for the Indians? Who should we look to make an impact?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

run and gun at the HS level is really hard to do correctly --you rely on wearing out your opponent by lots of subbing , but how many rural schools can really go 9-10 deep to make this effective ? My cuz who coaches HS in Ky and and has had much success tryed this last year , he had to bail out and change a few weeks into the season. Mass chaos sometimes is the result . MD

Liberal:(n) A person so open minded their brains fell out .
Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

That was the type of elaboration I was looking for. Recall, I want to know why you feel this will not work when you haven't seen it in a game? I understand that you hate the wholesale subs, and that is fine. You say that he will pull all five guys with a couple of minutes left in a close game, but the only chance you have seen him do this is in summer league games and scrimmages. Otherwise, games that don't mean anything. Give the run and gun a chance. What is the difference between run and gun in football and the same thing in basketball? Anytime you try something in this area that no one else does, people insist that it just won't work. Why don't we let the man have a chance at running his system before we say it won't work. For some reason Coach Lowe's system that produced around 100 wins in 6 seasons didn't fly in Lucasville and the boring crap we have played the last 3 season gave us what 25 wins? Give it a chance man. We'll meet up after a few games and see what you think then. Maybe on a Saturday morning in the Country Store parking lot. :-D. This system should play into Zach's hands as he is one of the more atheltic big men around.

valleyfan07
Varsity

Post by valleyfan07 »

Crab's brother wrote:That was the type of elaboration I was looking for. Recall, I want to know why you feel this will not work when you haven't seen it in a game? I understand that you hate the wholesale subs, and that is fine. You say that he will pull all five guys with a couple of minutes left in a close game, but the only chance you have seen him do this is in summer league games and scrimmages. Otherwise, games that don't mean anything. Give the run and gun a chance. What is the difference between run and gun in football and the same thing in basketball? Anytime you try something in this area that no one else does, people insist that it just won't work. Why don't we let the man have a chance at running his system before we say it won't work. For some reason Coach Lowe's system that produced around 100 wins in 6 seasons didn't fly in Lucasville and the boring crap we have played the last 3 season gave us what 25 wins? Give it a chance man. We'll meet up after a few games and see what you think then. Maybe on a Saturday morning in the Country Store parking lot. :-D. This system should play into Zach's hands as he is one of the more atheltic big men around.

I agree Zach is strong and is an extraordinary rebounder, however, mcclain is so aggressive and full of energy out there, you can't help but laugh sometimes because of his effort, he really lays it out and does a great job!!

I personally don't know why a coach from out of state would favor his buddies but I to be quite honest have no idea. I do know that the last 2 years the limelight has been given out to some on the team that let's say is a little less deserving. That is not to slam kids playing abilities only to say that at a high school level it is time to get over the parent interferece and so forth. If the kid isn't as good as another, they don't play no matter what mommy and daddy do to make it happen. I am happy to see valley with a new coach and hope he doesn' t fall into the political bs.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

who has valley scrimmaged and how have they done?

Guru
Waterboy

Post by Guru »

Valley had scrimmaged at Hillsboro, and played well. White Oak and Eastern Brown tri scrimmage, won all but 1 quarter I believe. In previews played Notre Dame, and beat them easily in one half of play.

IndianFanof2
Waterboy

Runnin' Indians Basketball

Post by IndianFanof2 »

I'm impressed! Have we made mistakes? Yes. Have we lost some games? Yes. Do we have room for improvement? Yes.

Is the crowd fired up? YES Are the games boring? NO. Wins are wonderful and frankly wins are expected. After all, that's a big part of playing...you play to win! We'll get there. Everyone would love to see some marks in the win column for the Indians...but man oh man...isn't it strange that even losing could feel good? It's odd. No one wants to lose..but even with the losses, our boys are playing hard and you do see improvement with each game. They do not quit until the clock buzzes the final time. And I could see things I thought they were weak on Tuesday night, greatly improved upon by Friday.

You just KNOW that wins are in their future. You can't practice and play with that intensity, be as disciplined and focused and not have it pay off for you. Rome wasn't built in a day. Let's get behind our boys and support them regardless of the scoreboard. They're playing an entirely different type of game than we've seen in recent years. At the very least, the games are exciting to watch. When's the last time we could say that?

And this coach isnt afraid to pull any kid off the court. If they're not playing the way he wants, they're out of there, period. After a few minutes, you'll see them rotate right back in, after some instruction from the bench. And it still cracks me up that I'm reading about the coach playing his buddies kids. WHAT BUDDIES? The guy is NOT from around here. He seems to talk mostly to Mr. Wolford and Ralph Merritt. If either one of those gentlemen have kids on the team...someone's got some 'splainin' to do! Come on people!

Let's EXPECT to win! Do you? Maybe you're part of the problem. And I'm speaking to all of us, the Valley Fans and Lucasville Community. Maybe WE need to star changing our own attitudes and then offer encouragement and positive reinforcement to those young men! There's a lot of pressure on them. They could use the encouragement and the "I know you can's" from us, not this "I know it won't work" kind of talk that's a big waste of energy.

GO INDIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We ARE VALLEY!!!!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”