Athens head coaching position

Corso
Waterboy

Re: Athens head coaching position

Post by Corso »

My 2 cents are in so best of luck to the Bulldogs on their search.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

LHS 72 wrote:The bigger question is there a teaching position open?
They will hire from within

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Great opportunity for whomever gets the job. Get to walk into a coaching position with one of the best players in the state already there. I would expect several resumes in The Plains.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Raider6309 wrote:
LHS 72 wrote:The bigger question is there a teaching position open?
They will hire from within
Who within the Athens school system is qualified to coach basketball? Or a better question is - who would want it?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

hateraid wrote:Great opportunity for whomever gets the job. Get to walk into a coaching position with one of the best players in the state already there. I would expect several resumes in The Plains.
The program is stacked. Two sophomores and two freshmen dominated the playing time down the stretch last year. JV team had some talented players. The eighth grade team (freshmen) I think only lost one or two games in 2 years in junior high. The seventh grade team lost only 1 game last year.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

If they wanted to go young. Kyle Lonas teaches at East. Or Mickey Cozart would be my guesses

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Raider6309 wrote:If they wanted to go young. Kyle Lonas teaches at East. Or Mickey Cozart would be my guesses
Seeing as I graduated with Kyle - and Mickey graduated from Fed a year before us - I am humbled by your 'YOUNG' comment ... lol

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I thought he was around Grant's age, I guess I was 10 years off :lol:

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I don't like this...there is something we are not seeing yet in Athens.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

The problem at Athens with most sports seem to revolve around the parents.
I've talked to different coaches over the past few years and they have all complained about the parents trying to run things or getting upset because little Johnny or little Julie doesn't play enough, or that practice was to long and on and on and on.........
Athens seems to be a hard place to coach for a long period of time in any sport.
Coach Adams seems to be one of the exceptions.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

But it's perfect timing. Athens should kill most teams. Athens vs Vinton will be for the league title. Most people in Athens wanted Skinner gone

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Raider6309 wrote:But it's perfect timing. Athens should kill most teams. Athens vs Vinton will be for the league title. Most people in Athens wanted Skinner gone
Ok, I guess you're entitled to your opinion, but why did they wait until late May to do this? I'm a VC guy, and honestly think Coach Skinner did a pretty good job. IMO if the district was gonna make a change based on the way their coach interacted with players why did they wait this long? Last I checked, the Bulldogs got knocked outta the tournament on Feb 16th. Seems like pretty piss poor management by the Athens administration.

As much as it pains me....I'm gonna have to agree with Hawkeye....there must be more to this.

Rufus
JV Team

Post by Rufus »

Yeah.. Sounds like there was a straw that broke the camel's back here. Something must have happened during summer workouts.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Orange and Brown wrote:The problem at Athens with most sports seem to revolve around the parents.
I've talked to different coaches over the past few years and they have all complained about the parents trying to run things or getting upset because little Johnny or little Julie doesn't play enough, or that practice was to long and on and on and on.........
Athens seems to be a hard place to coach for a long period of time in any sport.
News Flash: Parents at many (most) schools do this, try to run, and then eventually ruin the HS sports experience. Athens is no exception if your statement about parents is true. Parents need to shut up and understand their roles, chances are Johnny or Julie aren't going pro, so relax and let your kid enjoy his HS years.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Yes, Athens is no different than any other school.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

Howie?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Orange and Brown wrote:The problem at Athens with most sports seem to revolve around the parents.
NY has been known in the county as playing kids with the "name" over talent

Also NY basketball has zero coaching :roll:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

g w mclintock wrote:Howie?
We would have to upgrade our court to handle the Howie stomp lol

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

g w mclintock wrote:Howie?
Hey, why not? The TVC's "Sheik of the Blazing Hardwood" can pull up his stakes once again and continue his nomadic ways and put another TVC school on his burgeoning resume'. Wouldn't be surprised if he had already packed up the tent and has the camel loaded down with his gear. :lol: It's time, as word on the street is that the talent in G-town is waning and has run the cycle that you so typically see in small schools. :shock: :D

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

93Bulldog wrote:From my understanding of that situation at Fed, Joe had no desire to coach, didnt want to coach and only did so because they had nobody else at the time and desperately needed somebody. There was no conspiracy, if they wanted Butcher they would have hired him from the get go.
True.

Return to “Boys Basketball”