John Glenn vs Vinton County (Sweet 16)

vctransplant
All Conference

Re: John Glenn vs Vinton County (Sweet 16)

Post by vctransplant »

Falcon01 wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:John Glenn is a great team. No one doubted it. My goodness, they have two DI prospects, how do you practice and prepare against that?

It wasn't the press that bother us as much as it was the pressure in the half-court. Their length and quickness in the half-court that took us out of what we do. I am not sure we able to run one set. We committed 19 turnovers, very uncharacteristic for us, that led to 26 points, and yet we lost by 27.

However, I am more interested in the fact that the East district has a super sectional, the highest seed JG faced in the sectional and district was a #9 seed. While VC had to play a 15 win #6 seed, just to play a #2 seed, and then your prize, two #1 seeds in the districts. The gauntlet these kids had to navigate is inspiring and nothing can diminish their accomplishments.

I am very proud to be a Viking Alum!

Because, unfortunately, like everything else, the SE District is behind everyone else. Super sectionals should be everywhere.
It still doesn't diminish what the VC kids accomplished! But that was the only thing Muskie 01 keyed in on!

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

Falcon01 wrote:
Poo Bear wrote:
J_Manziel2 wrote:Welcome to the Drew Rackley show Vikings.
Welcome to "Viking basketball" Drew Rackley
He has as many points as Vinton County does at the half

VC hung in there pretty good I thought. This easily could have been a 30 point game at the half.
Great post Muskie01! New handle is vchater01! I think I will change mine to fu...falcon01! Still mad we put your team out so you ride on the mvl bandwagon, and have hated on us since!

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

JG is a top quality team! They were fun to watch even though they were putting on my boys. They were very classy and so were their fans. Sat next to a group of them and they know their basketball. They were upset with a lot of the calls by the officials in the first half. One actually said just cause we are the #1 team doesn't mean we don't foul. They knew and were willing to admit they helped contribute to VC being down 41-18. The know that against a team like them missed calls or bad calls equal points. I'm not by any means saying that we would have won especially after watching Being a witness to the #33 lead muskies last night. I do believe we would have been more competitive. We held JG to 13 in the 3rd. But it is what it is. Very proud of our Vikes. District champs, sweet 16 finalists and a lot to build on for next year. Yes Viking Nation we have a lot to be proud of! I tip my VC hat to John Glenn and their fans! Very classy program from top to bottom. Good luck the rest of the way Muskies! And Go Vikes!!!!

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I have said it before, the last time we were here, we lost to the eventual state champion. Good luck John Glenn!

Yes, I thought the officials were reading press clippings.

Drew Rackley is a player. I cannot believe that a Big Ten school has not offered him. He is as good as any guard I have seen play in the B1G this season.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

hawkeyepierce wrote:I have said it before, the last time we were here, we lost to the eventual state champion. Good luck John Glenn!

Yes, I thought the officials were reading press clippings.

Drew Rackley is a player. I cannot believe that a Big Ten school has not offered him. He is as good as any guard I have seen play in the B1G this season.
As the season has progressed he has received interest from higher level schools. However, he has already signed on the dotted line, therefore, he's locked in at VMI.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

vctransplant wrote:JG is a top quality team! They were fun to watch even though they were putting on my boys. They were very classy and so were their fans. Sat next to a group of them and they know their basketball. They were upset with a lot of the calls by the officials in the first half. One actually said just cause we are the #1 team doesn't mean we don't foul. They knew and were willing to admit they helped contribute to VC being down 41-18. The know that against a team like them missed calls or bad calls equal points. I'm not by any means saying that we would have won especially after watching Being a witness to the #33 lead muskies last night. I do believe we would have been more competitive. We held JG to 13 in the 3rd. But it is what it is. Very proud of our Vikes. District champs, sweet 16 finalists and a lot to build on for next year. Yes Viking Nation we have a lot to be proud of! I tip my VC hat to John Glenn and their fans! Very classy program from top to bottom. Good luck the rest of the way Muskies! And Go Vikes!!!!

Seriously?????? You are saying the officials had anything to do with this? Wow, show some semblance of class. Didn't make it last night, but just reading this makes roll my eyes to the back of the head. VC had a great season, they always play their tails off and I'm sure yesterday was no different, but to read comments about how the officials helped cause this is a Trump like mentality, let's blame others!

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

vctransplant wrote:
Falcon01 wrote:
Poo Bear wrote:
Welcome to "Viking basketball" Drew Rackley
He has as many points as Vinton County does at the half

VC hung in there pretty good I thought. This easily could have been a 30 point game at the half.
Great post Muskie01! New handle is vchater01! I think I will change mine to fu...falcon01! Still mad we put your team out so you ride on the mvl bandwagon, and have hated on us since!
Lol yep that's me....
You should go back and read. I said all along fu would lose worse than VC would, as fu doesn't handle ball pressure well.
I also explained that I grew up in Mvl country and still love Mvl sports.
I always root for se teams, but also knew this game wouldn't be close. Because I had watched JG games on the net. I tried to tell you how good they were and got ripped for it, because I was just a butthurt fu fan. When actually I was just right.

VC had a great season, went on an epic tourney run and have maybe the top coach in the SE.. end of the day they have nothing to feel bad about.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

thebarlowbandit wrote:
vctransplant wrote:JG is a top quality team! They were fun to watch even though they were putting on my boys. They were very classy and so were their fans. Sat next to a group of them and they know their basketball. They were upset with a lot of the calls by the officials in the first half. One actually said just cause we are the #1 team doesn't mean we don't foul. They knew and were willing to admit they helped contribute to VC being down 41-18. The know that against a team like them missed calls or bad calls equal points. I'm not by any means saying that we would have won especially after watching Being a witness to the #33 lead muskies last night. I do believe we would have been more competitive. We held JG to 13 in the 3rd. But it is what it is. Very proud of our Vikes. District champs, sweet 16 finalists and a lot to build on for next year. Yes Viking Nation we have a lot to be proud of! I tip my VC hat to John Glenn and their fans! Very classy program from top to bottom. Good luck the rest of the way Muskies! And Go Vikes!!!!

Seriously?????? You are saying the officials had anything to do with this? Wow, show some semblance of class. Didn't make it last night, but just reading this makes roll my eyes to the back of the head. VC had a great season, they always play their tails off and I'm sure yesterday was no different, but to read comments about how the officials helped cause this is a Trump like mentality, let's blame others!
And just think, if we completely turn our back on the game altogether, it's a Hillary like mentality!

Sorry, since you wanted to make this political I figured I'd contribute.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

bbjunky81 wrote:
thebarlowbandit wrote:

And just think, if we completely turn our back on the game altogether, it's a Hillary like mentality!

Sorry, since you wanted to make this political I figured I'd contribute.
That's fine by me, some need to turn and walk away, they'd make themselves look a little more intelligent. There is a difference in looking the other way and being able to see rationally and make reasonable comments. Blaming the officials here is not reasonable.

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

thebarlowbandit wrote:

Were the officials bad enough to cause the coach to chase them off the floor? When that happened the other night at the Convo some guy from Athens said the VC coach did that when Athens beat them at VC. So I was just wondering if these refs were that bad?

fish82
Waterboy

Post by fish82 »

VC could play JG 10 times with 10 different officiating crews, and there's zero chance they'd ever come within 25 points.

Be thankful they chose to take their foot off the gas in the 3rd, and the starters out 1/2 way through the 4th.

Congrats on a successful year. :)
Last edited by fish82 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Jim Ryan wrote:
thebarlowbandit wrote:

Were the officials bad enough to cause the coach to chase them off the floor? When that happened the other night at the Convo some guy from Athens said the VC coach did that when Athens beat them at VC. So I was just wondering if these refs were that bad?
No. The refs were not that bad. Was there calls missed??? Yes (and they seemed to miss more on the VC side) Did it have any thing to do with the outcome of the game??? NO.

OSH
Riding the Bench

Post by OSH »

bbjunky81 wrote:formerfcfan, EasternSpy, Falcon, can anyone answer my question?

I'm just curious if all these boys are John Glenn (New Concord) lifers. This is not an attempt to stir the pot, I'm just curious! Looking like 3 D1 basketball players, a D2 player, and a D1 soccer player. That's an insane amount of talent!
Who's the DI soccer player?

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Koen Riehl signed with D2 Nyack in NY.

That's the only one I know of, unless there is another.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

redskinwitness wrote:
FannyPack wrote:John Glenn does have 2 players going D1, to the two worst basketball schools in the Southern Conference. And while that's bigger than anyone left in the SE District is going, I just hope people don't make a gigantic deal out of VMI and The Citadel.

I'll take the Muskies by 15, but they haven't shown to be unstoppable on the big floor, especially since they are 0-2 against non East District teams when they have been there.
Rackley chose VMI as a tribute to his friend and former teammate who had passed, he has several offers and the rumblings at their game last night was that he plans to decommit as he has a big ten offer and several Mac offers now. Weir is going to Air Force, not the Citadel. Their third guard, slack, is going to land at one of the top d2 programs in the country, the glue guy blatt is a D1 soccer recruit and the sophomore guard Blevins is the best athlete who is gaining d1 interest already. Three straight regional appearances and played some big time competition this year, and beat them. It will be a massive upset if anyone beats them in this region....but that's why they play the game
This is where I saw it at.. I don't know for sure, was just referencing this.

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

hateraid wrote:
Jim Ryan wrote:
thebarlowbandit wrote:

No. The refs were not that bad. Was there calls missed??? Yes (and they seemed to miss more on the VC side) Did it have any thing to do with the outcome of the game??? NO.
According to the VC fans in my seating area, there were at least 17 terrible calls just in the 2nd & 3rd quarters. I started counting complaints after a mistake-riddled 1st quarter performance by the refs when it seemed that literally every single call or non-call was exactly wrong. Also, there was only 1 bad call against John Glenn because (according to VC guy), they needed to give VC a make up call.

Parents/fans are the worst part of sports and last night was the most hilarious that I've heard in a while (and our team plays Logan twice a year). I mean, they boo'd the refs for being down 23 at half time.

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

Jim Ryan wrote:
thebarlowbandit wrote:

Coach Combs never chased an official off the floor against Athens. Maybe you shouldn't believe everything "some guy from Athens" tells you.

The officials were very bad last night. You could tell they thought John Glenn did no wrong. However, John Glenn still would have won handily no matter who was officiating. No one has said officials cost VC the game, barlowbandit.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

bbjunky81 wrote:
redskinwitness wrote:
FannyPack wrote:John Glenn does have 2 players going D1, to the two worst basketball schools in the Southern Conference. And while that's bigger than anyone left in the SE District is going, I just hope people don't make a gigantic deal out of VMI and The Citadel.

I'll take the Muskies by 15, but they haven't shown to be unstoppable on the big floor, especially since they are 0-2 against non East District teams when they have been there.
Rackley chose VMI as a tribute to his friend and former teammate who had passed, he has several offers and the rumblings at their game last night was that he plans to decommit as he has a big ten offer and several Mac offers now. Weir is going to Air Force, not the Citadel. Their third guard, slack, is going to land at one of the top d2 programs in the country, the glue guy blatt is a D1 soccer recruit and the sophomore guard Blevins is the best athlete who is gaining d1 interest already. Three straight regional appearances and played some big time competition this year, and beat them. It will be a massive upset if anyone beats them in this region....but that's why they play the game
This is where I saw it at.. I don't know for sure, was just referencing this.
I see where he's made a recruiting page and what not but I don't see him signing with anyone or being mentioned with anyone. As of now

vctransplant
All Conference

Post by vctransplant »

thebarlowbandit wrote:

How about you reread the post barlowbutthead! The first thing I said was NOT SAYING WE WOULD HAVE WON! If you were not there you really shouldn't comment! But if you think that refs don't make bad calls you are an idiot! Those calls can and do affect kids and their momentum. Reread then comment! Don't just pick out one portion that you don't agree with, focus on it, and try to trash the poster. It won't work with me! I stand behind everything I said, especially all the good truths about JG. A very classy and let me add top quality program, top to bottom!!!!!!

OSH
Riding the Bench

Post by OSH »

Falcon01 wrote:Koen Riehl signed with D2 Nyack in NY.

That's the only one I know of, unless there is another.
That's all I knew of too. He doesn't play basketball either.

Return to “Boys Basketball”