John Glenn vs Vinton County (Sweet 16)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: John Glenn vs Vinton County (Sweet 16)

Post by Ironman92 »

54-29

End 3

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Interesting that JG sorta played a slower pace that 3rd quarter.

Desales size is going to be a challenge for JG. Still think they're the very clear favorite though.

Wffan
JV Team

Post by Wffan »

Dont believe Desales will do any better. Seen both play. JG by 20

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Desales has that size though to get the easy Buckets and possibly keep JG from the rim more. I agree with you though, ultimately a JG wins going away.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

JG starters out at 4 minute mark of 4th.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

Almost right on the money...

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

73-46 final

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Pretty much what we all thought.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Great season VC. 13 turnovers in the 1st half was a killer. I see them here again next year due to the fact they return A LOT. JG is for real. I'll be rooting for them from here on out. Rackley is a stud!! Good luck JG.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Glenn continues its march to Columbus

TreymakerMVLForum
Waterboy

Post by TreymakerMVLForum »

Well, I predicted a 25-30 point win and it ended up 27. (With JG taking the starters out halfway through the 4th). Just curious if those claiming that people like me were "over exaggerating" how good John Glenn was and that they were "just another good high school team" may want to alter their opinions after seeing the game? John Glenn missed 6-8 layups and Weir was cold shooting in the 1st half, this could have been a 40 point margin easily.

I've been watching high school basketball for 20 years and this John Glenn team is right up there with the best I've ever seen from this area.

MVLForum.com
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

TreymakerMVLForum wrote:Well, I predicted a 25-30 point win and it ended up 27. (With JG taking the starters out halfway through the 4th). Just curious if those claiming that people like me were "over exaggerating" how good John Glenn was and that they were "just another good high school team" may want to alter their opinions after seeing the game? John Glenn missed 6-8 layups and Weir was cold shooting in the 1st half, this could have been a 40 point margin easily.

I've been watching high school basketball for 20 years and this John Glenn team is right up there with the best I've ever seen from this area.
Shhh.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Don't feed the troll :lol:

Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

defenserules wrote:I saw a post earlier in the week in this thread - it must have been deleted (believe it was from an Athens poster) that was very critical of a poster stating that VC hadn't played anyone outside of the SE district. And he said something like "so if VC had played Pickerington North and xxxxxxx - they would have a chance to beat John Glenn then?? SMH "

the answer to that question is: YES.... playing teams with different styles, physicality, Pressing teams, etc... prepares your team for what they will see; especially once you advance to the regional. Things are much different once you get outside of the SE district. This is one of VC's best teams in the last 20-30 years - you knew this for a while, so scheduling teams like Bloom Carroll, Columbus Hartley, Stuebenville, etc. would expose your team to different competition outside of the district and be better prepared for the regional tournament. **** the downside to this is you probably have a couple fewer regular season wins *******
How did VC know this would be one of their best teams? VC didn't win their league last year and they lost in the first round of the sectional. Also, they didn't have an abundance of seniors. They had a great season in my opinion and should be proud of what they accomplished. Great job this year Vikings!

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Great season by VC, nothing to hand their heads over. John Glenn is a well oiled baskeball machine at the moment and I don't know of anyone that will beat them in the tournament. Maybe if they play St. Vincent St. Mary in the championship game that game will be close. Desales has some really good size and some very athletic kid. They have a freshman that is extremely good, but I think this will be a 15-20 point game.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

In a game of pickup basketball between the senator and the obscure Catholic saint, I think I'd have to give it to DeSales.

Thankfully, the teams play the game. JG shouldn't have much problem with DeSales, but I think DeSales will give them a strong game. Coach Bills is capable of adjusting on the fly when need be, and that may be what keeps DeSales in the game.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

John Glenn is a great team. No one doubted it. My goodness, they have two DI prospects, how do you practice and prepare against that?

It wasn't the press that bother us as much as it was the pressure in the half-court. Their length and quickness in the half-court that took us out of what we do. I am not sure we able to run one set. We committed 19 turnovers, very uncharacteristic for us, that led to 26 points, and yet we lost by 27.

However, I am more interested in the fact that the East district has a super sectional, the highest seed JG faced in the sectional and district was a #9 seed. While VC had to play a 15 win #6 seed, just to play a #2 seed, and then your prize, two #1 seeds in the districts. The gauntlet these kids had to navigate is inspiring and nothing can diminish their accomplishments.

I am very proud to be a Viking Alum!

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

hawkeyepierce wrote:John Glenn is a great team. No one doubted it. My goodness, they have two DI prospects, how do you practice and prepare against that?

It wasn't the press that bother us as much as it was the pressure in the half-court. Their length and quickness in the half-court that took us out of what we do. I am not sure we able to run one set. We committed 19 turnovers, very uncharacteristic for us, that led to 26 points, and yet we lost by 27.

However, I am more interested in the fact that the East district has a super sectional, the highest seed JG faced in the sectional and district was a #9 seed. While VC had to play a 15 win #6 seed, just to play a #2 seed, and then your prize, two #1 seeds in the districts. The gauntlet these kids had to navigate is inspiring and nothing can diminish their accomplishments.

Because, unfortunately, like everything else, the SE District is behind everyone else. Super sectionals should be everywhere.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I do not disagree, Falcon01.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Falcon01 wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:John Glenn is a great team. No one doubted it. My goodness, they have two DI prospects, how do you practice and prepare against that?

Because, unfortunately, like everything else, the SE District is behind everyone else. Super sectionals should be everywhere.
Absolutely agree 100%. Extreme majority of coaches are in favor for it as well. Why the SE Ohio doesn't have one yet? I will never know.

Watching SE Ohio basketball

Return to “Boys Basketball”