Symmes Valley vs Waterford

Bazinga!
Riding the Bench

Re: Symmes Valley vs Waterford

Post by Bazinga! »

bbjunky81 wrote:Coaches will be criticized for everything. Playing too many players, not playing enough players. Showing "favoritism" because little Johnny is on the bench. Teams don't execute sets "that's coaches fault." Kid misses a layup "coach must not practice that."

It's just how the business works.

Tom puts in just as much, if not more time than any coach around. Great guy, class act, and a great fit for Waterford. Blackhawk is undoubtedly just an upset parent.
Amen. If you've got something bad to say about this man you either don't know him or you're sour that your kid wasn't a better ball player and need to blame someone else. Blame the genes my friend. It's your kid. If he's not good it's your fault.

Blackhawk
Waterboy

Post by Blackhawk »

I didn't say he was a bad guy or a bad coach I just think there are better ones out there sims would be a great coach for Joey chestnut

H2O4RD
Freshman Team

Post by H2O4RD »

Nice first post. Haters gonna hate.

Tomcat70
Waterboy

Post by Tomcat70 »

That's all I have to say though, I hope Waterford does good in the tournament

Bazinga!
Riding the Bench

Post by Bazinga! »

And btw I'm taking Waterford by 8 in this game

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

If you don't know much about basketball Tomcat, I don't see how you can say "he isn't a good coach." Just because you're friend Johnny was kicked off the team for smoking pot and now hates Tom, doesn't mean he's a bad guy.
Could you look at the number of times a coach has had a better team, based on record, and lost multiple games to bad teams and make a judgment?

outerbanksjake
JV Team

Post by outerbanksjake »

Who are the starters on Waterford and their size ?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

enigmaax wrote:

If you don't know much about basketball Tomcat, I don't see how you can say "he isn't a good coach." Just because you're friend Johnny was kicked off the team for smoking pot and now hates Tom, doesn't mean he's a bad guy.
Could you look at the number of times a coach has had a better team, based on record, and lost multiple games to bad teams and make a judgment?
Can someone translate this for me? I'm very confused at what's being asked. Is it a question for me? Or is it rhetorical?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Chubby69
Waterboy

Post by Chubby69 »

Waterford has a good shot making it pretty far in the tournament. Let's go WILDCATS!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

get er done Vikings

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Glad to see we're back on topic. Go wildcats. :mrgreen:

enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

bbjunky81 wrote:
enigmaax wrote:

Can someone translate this for me? I'm very confused at what's being asked. Is it a question for me? Or is it rhetorical?
You don't have to know X's and O's to evaluate results. So for example, the Waterford team that went to Regionals also lost to Wood County Christian and Frontier (maybe twice?). Both of those teams had losing records. Does it say anything about coaching when your teams consistently lose to lesser teams?

You can say "good coach" and someone else can say "bad coach" and it can be argued that Waterford was terribly unprepared for Fort Frye the first time and they totally mismanaged the end of the game the 2nd time, but there is still a lot of opinion involved. I am interested to know how much stock others put into hard results like losing 1-3 games against obviously weaker teams virtually every single season.

Bazinga, in particular, made points about Liedtke at FF and some of his bad losses on another thread (good conversation and points made). So I'm also curious as to his position on this discussion as it relates to that.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

enigmaax wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:
enigmaax wrote:
You don't have to know X's and O's to evaluate results. So for example, the Waterford team that went to Regionals also lost to Wood County Christian and Frontier (maybe twice?). Both of those teams had losing records. Does it say anything about coaching when your teams consistently lose to lesser teams?

You can say "good coach" and someone else can say "bad coach" and it can be argued that Waterford was terribly unprepared for Fort Frye the first time and they totally mismanaged the end of the game the 2nd time, but there is still a lot of opinion involved. I am interested to know how much stock others put into hard results like losing 1-3 games against obviously weaker teams virtually every single season.

Bazinga, in particular, made points about Liedtke at FF and some of his bad losses on another thread (good conversation and points made). So I'm also curious as to his position on this discussion as it relates to that.

Hasn't every good, or even great coach lost games they shouldn't? Everyone is going to have bad losses here and there, it's how the business works.

I remember 6-7 years ago Oak Hill won the State title led by Norm Persin, arguably the best coach in SE Ohio. They next year they compile a perfect 20-0 record, and lose in the Sectional.

Does that mean Persin is now a bad coach? Were they not prepared?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Sure, everyone has a game here and there. Does it happen to great coaches every year, often 2 or 3 times? I think consistency counts for something. A lot of average coaches could do well in the years that the talent cycle hits a peak. The question is, how high can you take those teams?

I don't feel like Waterford has ever really maximized its talent; done well, yes. Done as well as they could have...I don't think so. And no, my kids didn't sit the bench or anything like that; it is just an observation that I know is shared by parents of numerous key contributors over the years.

Blackhawk
Waterboy

Post by Blackhawk »

That was very well said.

H2O4RD
Freshman Team

Post by H2O4RD »

And just for the record I think this group of players isn't the normal. They have put in a lot of work on their own. They are looked up to by the younger kids. Hopefully it breaks the cycle.

JV Team

Post by 1906 »

nice group of kids at waterford

H2O4RD
Freshman Team

Post by H2O4RD »

That's what I said the problem is with the parents. Not all..but we like to write letters. I mean what did Don Miller do? It's the parents.

Blackhawk
Waterboy

Post by Blackhawk »

I agree don Miller was a good coach and did not show favoritism but you can not take anything away from laken Adams look at what she has done.

Tomcat70
Waterboy

Post by Tomcat70 »

I did not know that Blackhawk, all I know is my experience with Simms was not good by no means.. Some people love him though so I guess it's all in your personal experience that you have had with the man

Return to “Boys Basketball”