SEOPS HOF

Re: SVC Predictions

Post by danicalifornia »

Every game was a battle last night!

Trey Postage's corner 3 beats Paint Valley
Huntington gets off the schnide with an OT win over Piketon
Westfall hung tight with Unioto throughout
Pierce Mowery returns to lead the Pioneers comeback over SE

The league is only 2-6 in the nonleague, but has 4 games that should be wins tonight:

McClain @ Zane Trace
Jackson @ Unioto
Paint Valley @ Leesburg
Manchester @ Piketon

bobcat2015
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcat2015 »

Anyone know how Mowery looked in his first game back last night? Was interested to see. He is a great player and hope he continues to get healthy throughout the season. The PV/Adena score surprised me a lot. Coach Shoemaker always has kids playing hard but I figured guard play would favor Adena in this one by double digits. Danicalifornia, must've been a barnburner at The U last night. Who is biggest non-league threat on Unioto's schedule to possibly take them out?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto faces Burton Berkshire at Otterbein on Tuesday. They are 5-1 (only loss was to NDCL who features an athletic 6'11 and has yet to lose). Berkshire shoots it well from deep and has a solid post player who averages just under 17 ppg. They will be an excellent test as they are extremely fundamental and pretty athletic.

They also travel to Fairfield Union (another team who shoots lights out), Washington CH (great guard play) and their last non conference game of the year is at Chillicothe.

It'll take a good bit to knock them off, but teams with solid guards that can penetrate could give them trouble. Westfall did it really well last night. I was happy to see the Shermans get through most of the game without Hosley or Kennedy and still get a big W.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Mowery is a special player and it's great to see him back. He'll make a big difference in the 2nd half for the Pioneers. Heck, his absence may help them overall, because it forced others into scoring roles that they hadn't had to play before.

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

SVC Basketball News on SVCsportszone.com . . . http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpre ... talk122115

svc_guy
Freshman Team

Post by svc_guy »

Ok its the halfway point...Lets see how I am doing so far...

Its almost time...lets get the discussion going on how the teams will finish and POY candidates...
My predictions are as follows:
Check -1. Unioto - Although I am concerned about how the turnover will affect this team they still have a lot of talent there to work with. Swackhammer at the point, nice bigs to work with, and of course Cole Cottrill at the wing. If they start fast I think they win it, if not, they could be pushed by 2 and 3.
Check2A. Adena - Nice starting five matches up with anyone if the SVC. Downside to this team is depth. If they can figure out how to manage this I think they could surprise Unioto.
Check 2B. Westfall - This teams youth from the last two years will finally pay dividends for this year. They return the entire starting 5 and have a much deeper bench to support them. Wyman is one of the top players in the conference and Mink and Anderson will provide great scoring to stretch defenses. Downside is their size and ability to rebound against bigger teams.
Check 4.Zane Trace - Mowrey is a great scorer that will take over games against the lower half of the conference. I am concerned about the supporting cast but I would not count them out as a dark horse.
Check 5. Southeastern - Lost a great leader in Miles. If they can find someone to take that lead I think they could be a solid team to make some noise. Look for them to be better in the second half as they figure out their roles.
Flip flopped with PV 6. Piketon - Moore kid is very fundamental and will be their leading scorer. Just too many holes around him to figure out how they can compete against the top.
Flip flopped with Piketon 7. Paint Valley - Big man will have nice statistics this year but they lost a ton of talent. Team scoring will be a problem. Rebuilding year for sure.
Check 8. Huntington - This is a team that's also rebuilding but it would not surprise me to see them get better as the year goes along and challenge the lower half teams. My dark horse of the lower half.

POY Candidates:

Check Mowrey ZT - Obviously at the top of this list as he returns as the defending player of the year. He will be heavily relied on for scoring. If Zane Trace can sneak into the top 2 or 3 I think he will be at least co-player of the year.

Check Wyman WF - A top 10 scorer who led the league in assist last year is poised for a breakout Junior season. Look for him to dominate teams as his physical body catches up to his skill level. If WF can finish in the top 3 I think he will be right there for POY.

Check Cottrill Unioto - Playing on a very talented team, he has the length and long range shooting ability to take over games. An unselfish player, I would like to see him take the lead role this year and see what he can do with it.

Check Jon Thomas Adena - Shifty kid who can score in bunches. Depending on how Adena fairs in the league he could be in the mix for POY. Tough call on him as he is playing along side Brian Hall who also can be a lead man.

All kidding aside. League should be interesting the rest of the way. Some big matchups not only for the league but tourney seeding.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I'll update my predictions a little:

-There will be a tie for 2nd.
-Unless Mowery goes completely bonkers, none of the top 3 teams will lose to any of the other 5 schools.
-Paint Valley goes 4-3 the 2nd half and ties for 4th with ZT
-4 teams reach the Convo, 2 of which will reach the District Finals.
-Mowery finishes in the Top 5 in SVC scoring, while Thomas finishes 1 spot behind him.

Return to “Boys Basketball”