Twin State League Boys Hoops

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Re: Twin State League Boys Hoops

Post by Sportsfan01 »

SouthEast Hoops Fan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:03 pm
Sportsfan01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:49 pm
SouthEast Hoops Fan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:36 pm

He had a tremendous game tonight. But he’s not the best player in the TSL. You are entitled to your opinion but to say “it’s not even close”? Someone should compare this season’s full body of work. Scoring, defense, shooting percentage, etc. It appears you would be shocked if you knew.

Again, all credit to the young man for a big time performance tonight.
He’s been putting up big numbers all year.
Please post his shooting statistics for the year — overall field goal percentage and 3-point field goals. When he gets hot he is electric. And we can compare to other top players in the district. Please remember you made the assertion and now it’s fair to have you defend it.
I don’t have all their stats. But according to the Marietta times as of earlier this week he was averaging 19 ppg, 3.4 apg and 3 steals per game and he’s made 36 3 pointers this year.

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

Sportsfan01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:14 pm

Please post his shooting statistics for the year — overall field goal percentage and 3-point field goals. When he gets hot he is electric. And we can compare to other top players in the district. Please remember you made the assertion and now it’s fair to have you defend it.
I don’t have all their stats. But according to the Marietta times as of earlier this week he was averaging 19 ppg, 3.4 apg and 3 steals per game and he’s made 36 3 pointers this year.
And shooting 46% from the field.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

IVCHAWKS wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:06 pm What was the final score of the Fort Frye vs pt pleasant tonight
Fort Frye 66 Point Pleasant 35

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

Thanks pioneer 19

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Not sure what's the point in all of this, but I think you'll find Julian is averaging fewer points than Kendall and shooting 20% below Kendall on overall FG% and 20% lower on 3-point field goals. Again, he's having a very good year, never said he wasn't. But compared to Kendall's body of work... and of course you wouldn't have said all of this after the first Warren-Marietta game, when Stadelman was 0-for-the-night on 3-point shots.

boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

Hookshot wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:37 pm

Not sure what's the point in all of this, but I think you'll find Julian is averaging fewer points than Kendall and shooting 20% below Kendall on overall FG% and 20% lower on 3-point field goals. Again, he's having a very good year, never said he wasn't. But compared to Kendall's body of work... and of course you wouldn't have said all of this after the first Warren-Marietta game, when Stadelman was 0-for-the-night on 3-point shots.
Yeah…cant take anything away from how Stadelman played tonight but to call him the best player in the league, “not even close” is big time recency bias.

LeftHandedCoach
Waterboy

Post by LeftHandedCoach »

boss8 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:33 pm
Hookshot wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:37 pm

Yeah…cant take anything away from how Stadelman played tonight but to call him the best player in the league, “not even close” is big time recency bias.
Julian is the most gifted player and probably has the highest ceiling in the league in my opinion. But to be fair comparing these two tremendous basketball players is like comparing apples to oranges. They play two entirely different positions and styles of basketball so it’s not really easy to say who’s “better.” They both are really good, Kendall is very skilled for his size, he’s way more than just a big body, definitely a fun watch.

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

Julian is an absolute joy to watch when he’s on. But there have been nights this season where he’s been a small factor in the game. With all due respect to Julian, Alex Kendall is the best all around and most versatile player in this league. He can play all five positions on the floor. How many 6” 8” kids can bring the ball up the floor while being pressured and pull up and drain a three? Or take it coast to coast for a dunk? He’s simply a complete player. Tonight was an off night for Kendall just like Julian had when Marietta won the first game between these two teams. Warren won tonight based on staff preparation and game plan execution which put Julian and Trent Taylor in a position to take over the game. The best thing about tonight is you now have two teams who are the upper echelon of SE Ohio basketball heading into tournament play next month. While that’s the norm for Coach Maddox’s teams, Marietta finally playing that level of basketball is great to see. I agree with the many other posts that these two teams could easily face each other in the post season and if so, I’m sure it will be a heckuva game to watch!

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

Just to clarify, I didn’t mean this as slight to Kendall or any other player in the league. Saying “I’m not sure it’s close” was over the top. But my point was every time I’ve watch Warren play Stadelman is the player that jumps out to me as the best player or one of the best players on the court. Both him and Kendall are really good. I just really like what Stadelman brings to the floor as point guard. I don’t have all the stats in front of me to compare all of them, but too me stats also don’t always tell the complete story. I know they both average very close to same out of points. I know Kendall has a high field goal percentage but as I would expect that as he shoots a lot more from the paint where as Stadelman is taking a lot more outside shots. (I know Kendall is a very good three point shooter but he’s not taking as many as Stadelman.). Again, both are very good players that I would take on my team any day.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

Post by SouthEast Hoops Fan »

TigerFan15 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:40 am Julian is an absolute joy to watch when he’s on. But there have been nights this season where he’s been a small factor in the game. With all due respect to Julian, Alex Kendall is the best all around and most versatile player in this league. He can play all five positions on the floor. How many 6” 8” kids can bring the ball up the floor while being pressured and pull up and drain a three? Or take it coast to coast for a dunk? He’s simply a complete player. Tonight was an off night for Kendall just like Julian had when Marietta won the first game between these two teams. Warren won tonight based on staff preparation and game plan execution which put Julian and Trent Taylor in a position to take over the game. The best thing about tonight is you now have two teams who are the upper echelon of SE Ohio basketball heading into tournament play next month. While that’s the norm for Coach Maddox’s teams, Marietta finally playing that level of basketball is great to see. I agree with the many other posts that these two teams could easily face each other in the post season and if so, I’m sure it will be a heckuva game to watch!

While Warren did a great job of “positioning” Taylor in the first quarter, that ended there. Stadelman just had an unusually hot shooting night. True, Kendall didn’t shoot as well as he usually does, but how many games this season has he attempted no free throws? The number of non-calls was a key factor. On the other hand, Warren shot much better from the foul line than their season statistics indicate. Great job for them to convert in this kind of game. These were some of the impactful factors Friday night.

** Marietta remains No. 1 in the Southeast for tournament seeding purposes, but Warren made up some ground last night. Both teams should get a decent tournament draw.

SEOALLivesMatter
Waterboy

Post by SEOALLivesMatter »

What are the thoughts about the people responsible for resurrecting the SEOAL targeting a few members of this league? Is there any animosity?

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Does anyone here know if Marietta is participating in the OVAC Tournament? MHS already has a full schedule, but looking at the OVAC site it appears that the Tigers are currently the #2 seed. Wonder if they will drop the Spire and Westland games for the opportunity to play for an OVAC Championship.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

pioneer19 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:20 am Does anyone here know if Marietta is participating in the OVAC Tournament? MHS already has a full schedule, but looking at the OVAC site it appears that the Tigers are currently the #2 seed. Wonder if they will drop the Spire and Westland games for the opportunity to play for an OVAC Championship.
Interesting question Pioneer 19, but i don’t think either Marietta or Warren consider themselves a part of OVAC basketball. I would guess Warren is high seed in the OVAC as well.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

SouthEast Hoops Fan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:36 am
pioneer19 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:20 am Does anyone here know if Marietta is participating in the OVAC Tournament? MHS already has a full schedule, but looking at the OVAC site it appears that the Tigers are currently the #2 seed. Wonder if they will drop the Spire and Westland games for the opportunity to play for an OVAC Championship.
Interesting question Pioneer 19, but i don’t think either Marietta or Warren consider themselves a part of OVAC basketball. I would guess Warren is high seed in the OVAC as well.
The OVAC site has Warren and Dover listed as not participating, but Marietta appears to be. Also wanted to add, the Fed Hock game is the same day as the semi finals, so that would be one of the games cancelled. Tourney seedings announced 1/30.

SouthEast Hoops Fan
Freshman Team

pioneer19 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:41 am
SouthEast Hoops Fan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:36 am
The OVAC site has Warren and Dover listed as not participating, but Marietta appears to be. Also wanted to add, the Fed Hock game is the same day as the semi finals, so that would be one of the games cancelled. Tourney seedings announced 1/30.
I’m not sure why OVAC would show that. Would be quite unfair at this point in the season to cancel other opponents.

IVCHAWKS
Freshman Team

Post by IVCHAWKS »

Dover was supposed to be in the ovac playoffs, but some of the West Virginia teams back out and won't play them,if Dovers AD would of filed a waiver showing that these teams be back, out the ovac would of let them in playoffs,then they would been eligible,they won the last two years of the big school championship,now all they play for is the consultations rounds,which they will get a home and a away game, I'm hoping that Dover and Warren will be matchup in one game

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

ovac website was updated this morning (saturday) and it now shows marietta as not participating in the playoffs

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

blackshooky wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:16 pm

ovac website was updated this morning (saturday) and it now shows marietta as not participating in the playoffs
Thanks for the update. Not sure why Marietta is even in the OVAC if they aren't going to participate. Would've like to seen them get a crack at Wheeling Park or Morgantown.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

IVCHAWKS wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:33 pm Dover was supposed to be in the ovac playoffs, but some of the West Virginia teams back out and won't play them,if Dovers AD would of filed a waiver showing that these teams be back, out the ovac would of let them in playoffs,then they would been eligible,they won the last two years of the big school championship,now all they play for is the consultations rounds,which they will get a home and a away game, I'm hoping that Dover and Warren will be matchup in one game
That's unfortunate for Dover. I doubt they are going to miss the OVAC once they join the OCC with New Philly.

Warren has a full 22 game slate so I don't think they are participating in the consolation either. Would've been a good matchup. Also, would've like to seen Marietta play Dover this year. After all those beatings we took over the years in the ECOL, we finally have a team that could compete and they aren't on the schedule.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Neither Warren or Marietta gave any consideration to the OVAC Tournament. Not sure why the conference ever thought they might be there.

Return to “Boys Basketball”