1/9/24 Portsmouth @ Ironton

sportsfan33
Waterboy

Re: 1/9/24 Portsmouth @ Ironton

Post by sportsfan33 »

CrackBack46 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:06 am I felt it was pretty obvious it was her. Easy to get the stats when your hubby takes them for the team.

Tigers are just playing uninspired basketball. Usually falls back on coaching.

But Ptown put a whooping on them last night!!

In other news, is it football season yet?!

sportsfan33 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:54 am
tigerpride wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:51 pm

The Tigers shot 1/18 from 3 point range. The only shot made was Schreck from 3/4 court. I think there were a lot of Tigers missing a lot of shots. No but it seems funny that the same person complains about the same kid in football too. Grow up.
This thread reminded me of the Ironton roster thread from last year , so I went back and found it.”TigerPride” also posted in that thread and posted something about Schreck and in the middle it said”I’m his mom”… LOL.Nobody on here has ANYTHING against him.People are going to have opinions though.
Barnes bout to get bounced like his first run at ironton

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Last night the Portsmouth Trojans looked like a team good enough to be in the regionals. It was a surprising, yet complete demolition of a good Ironton team at the Conley Center. PHS jumped to an early 12-2 lead, and the Fighting Tigers never threatened the Trojans. Portsmouth used a stifling defense that forced Ironton into some hurried, off balance shots, and numerous turnovers. PHS also did a respectable job on the boards against the muscular Tigers. My pet peeve is allowing too many 3's, and last night as was said in the above posts Ironton went 1-18 from the arc. Job well done Trojans.

DeAndre Berry had 26 points to lead Portsmouth, which is now 7-2 overall and 4-1 in the OVC, tied for 1st. PHS finally broke a 10 game losing streak vs. Ironton. The 30 point win was the Trojans' largest margin of victory at Ironton since a 65-28 win in the 2002 season.

I'm hoping that last night's version of the Trojans will show up going forward. They could be a load for anyone to handle, but then consistency is the most elusive aspect of HS sports.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

Has Barnes accomplished anything as a head Basketball coach? Conference titles, regional titles, etc. ? I heard he's coached at multiple schools. Just curious

Jumper45
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumper45 »

I feel that a lot of the problem is coaching including the entire staff. From what Ive seen there needs to be role players on that team. I dont see that with Ironton. Without a doubt you have to score BUT, games are WON by playing DEFENSE and REBOUNDING on both ends of the floor. You need and offense and run sets and oh how nice it would be to see a POST PLAYER these days in high school basketball.

CrackBack46
Freshman Team

Post by CrackBack46 »

Jumper45 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:53 pm I feel that a lot of the problem is coaching including the entire staff. From what Ive seen there needs to be role players on that team. I dont see that with Ironton. Without a doubt you have to score BUT, games are WON by playing DEFENSE and REBOUNDING on both ends of the floor. You need and offense and run sets and oh how nice it would be to see a POST PLAYER these days in high school basketball.
Doesn’t look like the coaches want to use any of their big men for that. It’s all about the guard play for Barnes. I’d like to see Thacker and Patterson on the floor at the same time, slow the game down.

UNREAL
Waterboy

Post by UNREAL »

Its not a problem to slow the game down but not to the point that it takes away the things that Terry gives to the team like beating people down the court for layups.If theres a layup oh the break take it if not get in your offense and use the people you have and take good shots which in turn will give you a better rebounding edge..On offense no one sets screens and no one uses those screens. That has to be taught.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

trojandave wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:18 am Last night the Portsmouth Trojans looked like a team good enough to be in the regionals. It was a surprising, yet complete demolition of a good Ironton team at the Conley Center. PHS jumped to an early 12-2 lead, and the Fighting Tigers never threatened the Trojans. Portsmouth used a stifling defense that forced Ironton into some hurried, off balance shots, and numerous turnovers. PHS also did a respectable job on the boards against the muscular Tigers. My pet peeve is allowing too many 3's, and last night as was said in the above posts Ironton went 1-18 from the arc. Job well done Trojans.

DeAndre Berry had 26 points to lead Portsmouth, which is now 7-2 overall and 4-1 in the OVC, tied for 1st. PHS finally broke a 10 game losing streak vs. Ironton. The 30 point win was the Trojans' largest margin of victory at Ironton since a 65-28 win in the 2002 season.

I'm hoping that last night's version of the Trojans will show up going forward. They could be a load for anyone to handle, but then consistency is the most elusive aspect of HS sports.
I agree Dave, the Trojans hit everything they threw up tonight. Ironton couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn due to the Trojans D.

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

So the Trojans beat Ironton by 30 then the following game lose to South point by 34pts!? The OVC is crazy this year

TrojanTru
Waterboy

Post by TrojanTru »

Bfan99 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:44 pm So the Trojans beat Ironton by 30 then the following game lose to South point by 34pts!? The OVC is crazy this year
We got dominated. Call me Gus Johnson, HURT!MY!FEELINGS!
I hope our kids are embarrassed enough by tonight’s performance to get after it and turn it around and never display what they showed tonight ever again. SP went on a 22-2 run after we opened the game 5-0. That’s to be expected when start playing individualized basketball. The constant whistles didn’t help at all, and when the whistle was working in our favor we failed to capitalize on it.
Tomorrow will be a very physical game against some athletes, I hope we have enough to pull it out. Coach Lisath was not pleased with any aspect of tonight’s game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”