Best coach in SEO

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Best coach in SEO

Post by pfloyd »

I think most of us know who the Best of the BEST courtside are in the SouthEast District - all familiar names to high school hoops fans ... with the retirements of Coach Combs of Vinton County before last season and Coach Stiverson of Logan Elm - BOTH part of the outstanding fraternity of coaches in the SE District - I'm looking at the "youngsters" in the coaching ranks in Southern/SouthEastern Ohio - the cupboards aren't bare of up and coming Head Coaches ... I'll start a list of who I see as those who "do it right" those who have "the right philosophy" - please add to the list -

These ARE NOT in any order - just off the top of my head:

Coach Dropsey (Logan Elm)
Coach NJ Kight (Vinton County)
Coach Gardner (Marietta)
Coach Duerr ( New Lexington)
Coach Shaeffer (Fairfield Union)
Coach Leist (Eastern Pike)
Coach Carpenter (Circleville)
Coach Miller (Piketon)

others?

Already established outstanding young coaches :

Coach Arey (Peebles)
Coach Williams (Western)
Coach Morrow (Jackson)
Coach McKinnis (Oak Hill)

others?

DUNK1
Freshman Team

Post by DUNK1 »

avalanche wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:51 pm
DUNK1 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:36 pm I’m sure all the other fellas mentioned are fine coaches. But Howie did it at all four schools he coached at. He rebuilt three of those from seller dweller to the top. He’s won at places no one ever had. He’s hands down the best.
Over a career it's Norm Persin and Howie isn't close. Let me know when Howie builds two programs into two of the top programs in the state and wins a state title. Norm is third all-time in career win. Howie is a fine coach, but no, he's not close to being the best with Norm still on the sidelines.
Norm chases talent. He don’t go nowhere that isn’t loaded. Howie builds them from the ground up. I hope they meet up soon and Howie will show you who’s the best. I just know he will.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

DUNK1 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:32 pm
DUNK1 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:36 pm I’m sure all the other fellas mentioned are fine coaches. But Howie did it at all four schools he coached at. He rebuilt three of those from seller dweller to the top. He’s won at places no one ever had. He’s hands down the best.
Over a career it's Norm Persin and Howie isn't close. Let me know when Howie builds two programs into two of the top programs in the state and wins a state title. Norm is third all-time in career win. Howie is a fine coach, but no, he's not close to being the best with Norm still on the sidelines.
Norm chases talent. He don’t go nowhere that isn’t loaded. Howie builds them from the ground up. I hope they meet up soon and Howie will show you who’s the best. I just know he will.
Norm isn’t chasing anything. He’s just trying to get a comfortable seat courtside and probably make some changes at the half.

Honey Caadwell
Waterboy

Post by Honey Caadwell »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:36 pm

Norm isn’t chasing anything. He’s just trying to get a comfortable seat courtside and probably make some changes at the half.
Howie doesn’t chase talent but he sure does chase after a little “Honey”. My man loves the sweet stuff.

My man grows maters big as a bulls balls
basketballmind
Waterboy

Post by basketballmind »

Give me Norm over Howie. Norm and his legacy are hard to beat in SEO

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Can’t argue with the complete 180 turn around happening in Webster right now. Shame so much talent over the past few years was squandered.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

Chesapeake and Oak Hill Norm obviously a great coach and definitely one of the best in the whole state.

Unckle Ralph
Waterboy

Post by Unckle Ralph »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:08 pm I think most of us know who the Best of the BEST courtside are in the SouthEast District - all familiar names to high school hoops fans ... with the retirements of Coach Combs of Vinton County before last season and Coach Stiverson of Logan Elm - BOTH part of the outstanding fraternity of coaches in the SE District - I'm looking at the "youngsters" in the coaching ranks in Southern/SouthEastern Ohio - the cupboards aren't bare of up and coming Head Coaches ... I'll start a list of who I see as those who "do it right" those who have "the right philosophy" - please add to the list -

Coach Gardner (Marietta)
Coach Miller (Piketon)

others?

Coach Arey (Peebles)
Coach Williams (Western)
Coach Morrow (Jackson)

others?
Coach Ryan Leasure from Belpre.

Old Shorts
Freshman Team

Post by Old Shorts »

I still say Donnie was one of the best when he worked the box at SG. And he could coach football too.

"Rocking a pair of 1985 gray coaching shorts that are now yellow in the front and brown in the back" :D
Homie Chadwell
Riding the Bench

Post by Homie Chadwell »

I think if you look at his 600+ wins in basketball and then combine with the dominance he displayed coaching girls volleyball and softball and then factor in that he was also ci HC of the football program once while at Racine it is easy to deduce that Howie is the best coach ever seen in SEO.

Pioneer14
Waterboy

Post by Pioneer14 »

The guy from New Lexington knows what he is doing too.

JeepNation26
Freshman Team

Post by JeepNation26 »

:mrgreen:
Jeep fans hope to see a Norm and Howie showdown come tournament time…. Jeeps over the Tomcats easily by 20+ :mrgreen:

Norm’s coaching resume speaks for itself…. Go Jeeps!!!

LoyalOak
Waterboy

Post by LoyalOak »

JeepNation26 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:25 pm :mrgreen:

Jeep fans hope to see a Norm and Howie showdown come tournament time…. Jeeps over the Tomcats easily by 20+ :mrgreen:

Norm was definitely a lot less involved and extremely calmer than he used to be when I watched Webster. To be expected with old age though. That being said I agree the resume speaks

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Honey Caadwell wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:39 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:36 pm

Howie doesn’t chase talent but he sure does chase after a little “Honey”. My man loves the sweet stuff.
Norm was at Chesapeake for 19 years, he wasn't chasing. He's old and retired, he can go wherever now. Howie is a good coach but no, he isn't Norm.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

LoyalOak wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:52 am
JeepNation26 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:25 pm :mrgreen:

Norm was definitely a lot less involved and extremely calmer than he used to be when I watched Webster. To be expected with old age though. That being said I agree the resume speaks
It looks like South Webster is getting the Norman without the Stormin.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

SW has a great staff and will for years to come when he hangs it up for good. The junior high prospects are also coming up under a state champion.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
boss8
JV Team

Post by boss8 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:08 pm I think most of us know who the Best of the BEST courtside are in the SouthEast District - all familiar names to high school hoops fans ... with the retirements of Coach Combs of Vinton County before last season and Coach Stiverson of Logan Elm - BOTH part of the outstanding fraternity of coaches in the SE District - I'm looking at the "youngsters" in the coaching ranks in Southern/SouthEastern Ohio - the cupboards aren't bare of up and coming Head Coaches ... I'll start a list of who I see as those who "do it right" those who have "the right philosophy" - please add to the list -

Coach Gardner (Marietta)
Coach Miller (Piketon)

others?

Coach Arey (Peebles)
Coach Williams (Western)
Coach Morrow (Jackson)

others?
Gardner has completely changed the culture at Marietta. Coach VanderWal, the highly successful Marietta College coach, absolutely raves about him. I think he would know.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

boss8 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:30 pm

Coach Gardner (Marietta)
Coach Miller (Piketon)

others?

Coach Arey (Peebles)
Coach Williams (Western)
Coach Morrow (Jackson)

others?
Gardner has completely changed the culture at Marietta. Coach VanderWal, the highly successful Marietta College coach, absolutely raves about him. I think he would know.
Yes, dramatic change beyond expectations. Lost 4 out of top 8 players from last season and one key injury the first two months this season.

The Voice aka LR
Waterboy

Post by The Voice aka LR »

Yall can keep throwing out these names of inferior coaches. Trimble has the best. Hands down. Wait till tourney time.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

The Voice aka LR wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:57 am Yall can keep throwing out these names of inferior coaches. Trimble has the best. Hands down. Wait till tourney time.
Why bring that? Why attempt to demean other coaches just to talk up Howie? I have no issues with Howie, but to call these other coaches “inferior” is just inaccurate and classless.

Return to “Boys Basketball”