Federal Hocking 64 Lucasville Valley 53 a final ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Federal Hocking 64 Lucasville Valley 53 a final ...

Post by pfloyd »

Federal Hocking 64
Valley 53 a final

... when I rank teams in the preseason I look at returning starters, I look at varsity experience returning ... as I looked at the Lancers of Coach Thompson in October - I saw Tariq Cottrill - maybe the best all around player in all of Southern /SouthEast Ohio and Andrew Airhart - an outstanding 3 point shooter who could drop 20 ppg from downtown on any night ... FH lost it's size in the paint, varsity experience off the bench and perimeter /inside scoring threats with the graduation of Billy Ward/Caden Chapman/Iden Miller and Scotty Balch ... as good as Cottrill and Airhart are, the lack of size/experience/a bench - I couldn't bring myself to ranking FH higher than #35 to start the season ... after getting eyes on the Lancers Sunday? Fed Hock is/will be a force to be reckoned with again in D4 ... Tariq Cottrill IS "him" ... Andrew Airhart is as advertised from last years performances ... this years edition of the Lancers has to get props - sr. Evan McPherson, Cam Joy, sophomore Mosiah Cottrill or Cottrill "the younger", sr. Zane Buckley ALL showed "they ain't bad" as they play Lancer "in your face D", they are rentless on the boards/holding their own vs bigger bodies/ and they all have the same "motor" as Cottrill "the elder" and Airhart ... the 2023-24 edition of the Lancers put on a show in taking down a good Lucasville Valley team 64-53 a final ...

... the game tipped-off with Valley's Jace Copley getting a putback bucket in the paint (6pts all at the rim) ... Christian Copen/Parker Lute each with a 2 pointer ... Brenden Vice added an "and one" for 3pts in the quarter ... both Valley and Fed Hock looked to hit from beyond the arc as Valley went 0 for 6 from downtown and FH 0 for 3 ... the Lancers showed they could crash the offensive boards as they had 2 offensive boards for putback buckets ... Airhart 4pts/ Cottrill "squared" with a bucket each ... Vallley 13 Fed Hocking 8 after 1 ... open looks on the perimeter had both teams put up the 3 ball from beyond the college 3 point line ... Valley chucking it up from downtown 9 times connecting on 3 (Copley 2/ Parker Lute 1) ... the Lancers going 4/6 from three point land as Airhart tossed in 3 treys and Tariq Cottrill 1 ... TC added a driving 2 pointer and a pair of FTs for a 7pt qtr ... Zane Buckley off the bench added 3 points on a deuce and 1/2 from the line ... both teams even under the "on ball" pressure applied by both teams, and the individual quickness on the court for either team , both teams took care of the ball in the opening half as Valley had but 2 turnovers and Fed Hock 5 ... Valley 28 Federal Hocking 27 at the half ... if you've followed hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line in the small division you KNOW what Tariq Cottrill brings to the floor - 5'9" of quickness, an outside shot that forces defenders to guard the 3 which opens up the floor for TC to "get the step" by his defender that allows him to get to the rim where he KNOWS how to finish, he KNOWS how to get /take contact ... he's outstanding - after watching Tariq put up 13 points in the 3rd I simply put "HIM" beside his name on my napkin stat sheet ... a triple to go with 5 two pointers including 2 steals for transition buckets ... Cottrill "the younger" added a 2 pointer and Airhart an old fashion "and one" (3pts) ... for the Indians, the starters each added points on their stat lines in the quarter - a bucket each for Chase Davis/Christian Copen/Lute/ and Brenden Vice while Jace Copley drained a deep 3 ball (3pts) ...the Tariq Cottrill highlight reel gave FH an 18-11 advantage in the score column in the qtr - the lead AND separation ... Federal Hocking 45 Valley 39 after 3 ... they say speed kills - in this case speed/quickness/ ballhandling to go with 9/10 from the FT line was enough to put this one in the win column for the Lancers ... Cottrill led the way with 10 points/ a pair of 2pointers and 6/6 from the line ... Andrew Airhart added 6 pts in the period Mosiah Cottrill (2pts) / McPherson 1/2 from the stripe ... for Valley - the Indians went 4/9 from behind the 3 point line Lute with a pair (6 pts)/Davis 1 trey (3pts) /Copley a triple and a 2pter (5pts/22 for the game) ... 4 Lancer forced turnovers/solid FT shooting sealed this one ... showing old pfloyd and the packed gym that the Lancers are still one of if not THE team to beat in D4 in 2023-24 ... Federal Hocking 64 Lucasville Valley 53 a final ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Valley

Scoring ... Jace Copley 22, Parker Lute 15, Chase Davis 5, Brenden Vice 5, Christian Copen 4, Jaylen Bender 2
3 Pointers ... 8/29 ... Jace Copley 4, Parker Lute 3, Chase Davis 1
FTs .... 1/3
TOs ... 9
PnP ..... 13 fgs/ 26 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk ... 3 fgs/ 6 points on putback buckets

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Federal Hocking

Scoring ... Tariq Cottrill 32, Andrew Airhart 22, Mosiah Cottrill 6 , Zane Buckley 3, Evan McPherson 1
3 Pointers ... 5/11 ... Andrew Airhart 3, Tariq Cottrill 2
FTs ... 13/17
TOs ..... 8
PnP ... 15 fgs/ 30 points in the paint
PnT ... 4 fgs/ 8 points in transition
Pbk ... 4 fgs/ 8 points on putback buckets

transplant
SE

Re: Federal Hocking 64 Lucasville Valley 53 a final ...

Post by transplant »

Valley had trouble getting stops. Didn't play very good team or on the ball defense. Number 3 for Fed hock took over in the second half and Valley didn't have an answer for him. Valley doesn't have that one kid that is a lock down defender. They are going to have to figure out things on the defensive end. Valley played hard and competed, but in the end, Fed hock is a very good team and the better team won last night. Fed hock is a very good team.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Re: Federal Hocking 64 Lucasville Valley 53 a final ...

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

22 pts on on about 30 shots for Copley. The man needs help out there

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54

Return to “Boys Basketball”