Tuesday 2/7 Games

art_vandelay
SE

Re: Tuesday 2/7 Games

Post by art_vandelay »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:20 pm Just my opinion but valley last year when Bryce Stuart was in foul trouble or not in the game period wasnt anything too special and we all knew they weren’t going deeper on the bench this season. Not saying they’re not good but Minford to me was the clear favorite from the get go and then Valley/SW. unfortunately Webster still does Webster things and can’t beat the top of the league still. Burg nobody knew what was going to happen. Northwest has been right in there too.

Write it down now, Burg and Minford will split next year.
Swanker: I took Valley over Minford prior to the season because of Valley’s seniors. I didn’t see Minford’s sophomores advancing this quickly (especially Kayser) and underestimated Hannah and Crank as well. Minford is the real deal and are clear favorites in SOC II next 2 seasons as well.

With all that said, Valley is still definitely capable of upsetting them in District Final.*

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Whs95fan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:05 pm
jcbigblue13 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:04 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:08 pm Warren 83
Cambridge 72.
Final
Cambridge couldn't miss from 3, maybe had 13 or 14
JC, can you confirm coach is at 399?
. Good win for Warren. Incredible Coach He’s stood the test of time !

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

Congrats Coach Collins on win 200.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:52 pm Burg 61. Valley 54

Nice road win Burg

Down 30-20 at half and outscored Valley 41-24 in the second half
Burg staff made some good defensive adjustments in the 2nd half. In the 1st half they lost Copley & Arnett a lot on the perimeter, but in the 2nd half two guys always seemed to be around them which led to some tough contested shots. Burg never panicked and stuck with their gameplan. On the other side, I was trying to see what type of offense Valley was running. Valley did not make any adjustments and continued their run and gun style. As a fan, I'd like ti see them get in halfcourt and run some type of an offense and not just a set for your best player. You can run fastbreaks but if nothing is there run an offense. Defensively, Valley did not create many turnovers the 2nd half which leads to run outs for the Indians which fits their style. No doubt in my mind Valley will be tough in the tournament but if teams make it halfcourt game and if Valley is not shooting well it could be an early exit. I think Buckle and Nichols should be used a lot more on the offensive end as well.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

MattyIce wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:04 am Congrats Coach Collins on win 200.
Awesome! Congrats Coach Collins

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

VetteMan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:57 pm
oneoak wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:53 pm Oak Hill 50
Waverly 35
Is this the correct final score ?
Yep that was the final score, this was a 1 point game heading into the 4th or early 4th. Oaks switched to a zone and waverly just couldn't hit any shots and down the stretch waverly started fouling and OH made all their free throws down the stretch.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:36 pm Nobody had valley beating minford for the title this year
Yeah at the beginning of the year there was ppl saying Valley over Minford, I had Minford the entire time when you have the best player in the area I'm going with that team each time. What I think most might be surprised by was the ease in which Minford accomplished that feat for the most part.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:52 pm Burg 61. Valley 54

Nice road win Burg

Down 30-20 at half and outscored Valley 41-24 in the second half
Honestly this one doesn't surprise me a lot because I think it could be argued Burg is the most improved team as this season has gone on. Valley has a good starting 5 but zero depth and if they're not hitting the shot from outside they're going to struggle. Nice win by Burg

jcbigblue13
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue13 »

Whs95fan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:05 pm
jcbigblue13 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:04 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:08 pm Warren 83
Cambridge 72
Final
Cambridge couldn't miss from 3, maybe had 13 or 14
JC, can you confirm coach is at 399?
Yes

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:33 am
VetteMan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:57 pm
oneoak wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:53 pm Oak Hill 50
Waverly 35
Is this the correct final score ?
Yep that was the final score, this was a 1 point game heading into the 4th or early 4th. Oaks switched to a zone and waverly just couldn't hit any shots and down the stretch waverly started fouling and OH made all their free throws down the stretch.
Thanks tigernation2021.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Would like to see the stats on the Hock / Marietta game is anyone can get them.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Space Between
Waterboy

Post by Space Between »

#sports_is_life wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:29 pm
Fan of the youth wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:53 pm
Lovehoops1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:39 pm

Um yes and I'll timed Ts for throwing fits all sorts of issues. I'm just curious why it keeps happening and isn't being corrected. I had high hopes.

The constant flopping and complaining to the refs while not getting back is something new this year that is really hurting. Valley can be very good when they all play their game but things are different. The half court takes patience and it is not always there. Time is running out to get things corrected.
I'm going to jump on this bandwagon as well. It seems that Valley has gone away from the type of play that made them successful last year. They only lost 1 starter, but everything this year seems to be going through one player when there are certainly others capable. When they ebb and flow they are successful, but when they pull away a little bit, they start calling plays and that's when the opponents seem to climb back in. Four of the players will pass up open shots because the play call is for them to get the ball to one kid. This has hurt them in the stretch in tight games as 30 seconds click off the clock while trying to get the open three, when in 5-8 seconds there could have been a two. The end of the season is near and the tournament run doesn't look great for the Indians as long as they aren't playing team ball. The head coach needs to get control of this team.

I could be very wrong here but I have a feeling that the head coach isn't calling the shots. Just going on what I have seen

LFG
Waterboy

Post by LFG »

Space Between wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:07 am
The constant flopping and complaining to the refs while not getting back is something new this year that is really hurting. Valley can be very good when they all play their game but things are different. The half court takes patience and it is not always there. Time is running out to get things corrected.
I'm going to jump on this bandwagon as well. It seems that Valley has gone away from the type of play that made them successful last year. They only lost 1 starter, but everything this year seems to be going through one player when there are certainly others capable. When they ebb and flow they are successful, but when they pull away a little bit, they start calling plays and that's when the opponents seem to climb back in. Four of the players will pass up open shots because the play call is for them to get the ball to one kid. This has hurt them in the stretch in tight games as 30 seconds click off the clock while trying to get the open three, when in 5-8 seconds there could have been a two. The end of the season is near and the tournament run doesn't look great for the Indians as long as they aren't playing team ball. The head coach needs to get control of this team.

I could be very wrong here but I have a feeling that the head coach isn't calling the shots. Just going on what I have seen
Agree completely. It's tough in our small area to not have dads as coaches, but that sure can be a sticky situation. It takes 5.

LFG
Waterboy

Post by LFG »

Last year it seemed like Tackett was always giving props to all of the players in radio interviews and such. Like "any given night any of these guys could step up." This year it seems to be singularly focused. I mean how hard is that to defend? Valley has 3 guys that give you good offensive numbers on average, but 2 of them have to get them on their own because hardly anything is designed for them (plays/screens,etc.). One player that RARELY shoots (so why would another team even try to guard him), and the their big guy, who has done a great job this year, but let's face it, he needs a lot more breaks than he is given to truly be effective.

JJMD24
Riding the Bench

Post by JJMD24 »

Lovehoops1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:45 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:34 pm
Lovehoops1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:18 pm It started a while ago. Norm isn't stupid my old friend was right and slipped off before it went south.
To much focus on 1 player being the star, to much complaining and bad attitude. Refs talk they are tired of it. Time for someone there to take control and probably gonna have to hurt some feelings to correct it. Time is running out the window is shut just not locked yet.
Worded perfectly. There were people behind the scenes trying to get Norm ran outta town, and it didn’t take long to figure out who that individual was and why he wanted Norm out.

And Valley is dealing with those repercussions now.

(Let me also say, that’s not to take anything away from the win by Wheelersburg. I think they’re a terrific team. I just think Valley has a little more basketball talent and SHOULD win that game at home. But going on the road and winning was a great job by Burg coaches and players.)
You can only show boat and big dog it so much before it usually bites you, and I'm not talking about any kids. Norm knew he needed to get outta there before it blew up. If the people around Lucasville can't see what is happening it's because they are in denial. All of the basketball programs need cleaned up and some changes. Some coaches should stay some should go in both boys and girls. 7th grade on up needs looked at closely it's time to take control before it get's to far gone.

So you guys want everyone to believe that Norm, who is a super successful coach, left Valley because of parents. I only met coach a few times but I never walked away from talking to the man thinking that he was soft and couldn't handle parents. Maybe it was the fact that his heart was failing and they had to call the ambulance for him. Coach was having heart failure and still coaching in a global pandemic. That is a pretty funny observation from you guys thinking it was parents. I didn't think we would lose 6 games but I did think we would lose 4 games because of our schedule being so tough.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

JJMD24 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:54 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:34 pm

Worded perfectly. There were people behind the scenes trying to get Norm ran outta town, and it didn’t take long to figure out who that individual was and why he wanted Norm out.

And Valley is dealing with those repercussions now.

(Let me also say, that’s not to take anything away from the win by Wheelersburg. I think they’re a terrific team. I just think Valley has a little more basketball talent and SHOULD win that game at home. But going on the road and winning was a great job by Burg coaches and players.)
You can only show boat and big dog it so much before it usually bites you, and I'm not talking about any kids. Norm knew he needed to get outta there before it blew up. If the people around Lucasville can't see what is happening it's because they are in denial. All of the basketball programs need cleaned up and some changes. Some coaches should stay some should go in both boys and girls. 7th grade on up needs looked at closely it's time to take control before it get's to far gone.

So you guys want everyone to believe that Norm, who is a super successful coach, left Valley because of parents. I only met coach a few times but I never walked away from talking to the man thinking that he was soft and couldn't handle parents. Maybe it was the fact that his heart was failing and they had to call the ambulance for him. Coach was having heart failure and still coaching in a global pandemic. That is a pretty funny observation from you guys thinking it was parents. I didn't think we would lose 6 games but I did think we would lose 4 games because of our schedule being so tough.
Could be a little bit of everything you mentioned. To old and didn’t have the health to put up with the parents

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

JTEK wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:06 am
JJMD24 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:54 am

Could be a little bit of everything you mentioned. To old and didn’t have the health to put up with the parents
That’s why we love having Howie. Yes he’s old, and he does old school things, but he keeps the parents in check.

PineRider
Waterboy

Post by PineRider »

Lovehoops1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:39 pm

Um yes and I'll timed Ts for throwing fits all sorts of issues. I'm just curious why it keeps happening and isn't being corrected. I had high hopes.

Valley's good when they are able to run the ball up the court, but if teams slow it down, they don't know how to respond. Like mentioned previously, they struggle in half court play because everything is centered around one player. They have the biggest kid, underneath the basket, and he looks very hard to handle. You'd think they would try and utilize the inside game more. They are a one man team right now. I don't think that will work long for them in tournaments. I too had them (for a hot minute) as a favorite for the SOC just losing one player from last year.

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

Let's face it kids aren't stupid. Valley has several talented players. When everything is centered around 1 player it hurts the team chemistry. Good players want to show they are good. When it's all about one guy resentment creeps in especially if you don't win as much as everyone thinks you should.

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

What is Valleys record?

Return to “Boys Basketball”