Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio-Week 10 (The Draw)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio-Week 10 (The Draw)

Post by Ironman92 »

socsportsfan1 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:38 pm That was part of my argument without overtly stating it. If your not sold on the strength of the SOC I then why move ND up 5 spots and Green down for a close game. There are several good non-league showings out of some of those schools that I don't think were equally applied to the rankings. I agree with your assessment in general.

I think this is one of the years with the most parity between D2 and D4 that we have seen. A lot of youth it appears across the district and this year more than most I think some of the more solid D4 teams can compete with and beat some of the D2 and D3 who are not as strong as they have been. There are more examples of it this year than I think I can recall in recent years.

It will all settle itself out in the end as it does anyway (just not necessarily in pfloyd's rankings). I'm not sure I'd be that shocked by any team beating any of the others in that 16-40 range.
There are a few matchups from the end near #40 that I wouldn’t give much of a chance against some of the teams closer to #15…..but I’m not sure that doesn’t fit pretty well no matter what rankings you are looking at. Certainly true in college. I’ve always thought about 20-35 were real close in these weekly rankings. I like to look how team’s might do against another team’s schedule.

It’s cool that Pfloyd has watched all of these teams…many in the actual gym. Did he see Whiteoak vs McClain in that terrible outcome or did he see them vs Piketon where they just dominated. Did he watch Jackson struggle to beat a bad Hillsboro team or did he see them dismantle a struggling Waverly team…..can’t watch them all. I know he’s seen most multiple or several times. In all honesty I’ve thought he’s had my schools of interest too high mostly all year, but as the season has went I think he’s pretty much spot on with where he has them. As for ND/Green…looks like he was banking on that late season game showing who really is the team there and a big win for whichever team won 🤷🏻‍♂️

PineRider
Waterboy

Post by PineRider »

Great job as always Pfloyd!

6-4-3=2o
Varsity

Post by 6-4-3=2o »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:05 pm
socsportsfan1 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:01 pm I know being consistent can be a challenge when covering so many teams. You do a great job getting eyes on teams and ranking them for us to debate over. The middle is toughest to sort and I do think 16-40 could be ranked better in several places.

Still think you have Westfall, Alex and VC too high. Last week Westfall was 0-2 and didn't budge. VC loses by 15 to New Hope and doesn't considerably drop. Chesapeake loses 2 this week and ... Western wins 2 and doesn't move. Green loses at ND close and drops 5 or 6 spots. Just don't think you nailed the movement of that 16-40 range this week.
I’ll just throw out some rational on Westfall and VC. Westfall lost in OT to a ZT team that is ranked much higher, I did expect a slight drop with the type of loss that they had to PV though. As for VC, pfloyd and I both watched New Hope absolutely destroy Athens earlier this year, so the Statesmen are quite solid. The size of the loss was pretty big though.
Hold on now, Dani, I have to stick up for my Bulldogs here ;) . To say they got absolutely destroyed is not quite accurate. We were down 2pts after 1, down 6 at half, and down 3 after 3 (which included 2 banked in 3's from NHCA big man, his only made 3's of the game :roll: ). Now the 4th qtr was a different story as the proverbial wheels fell off and we got outscored 18-6, with 7 of those from NH coming at the charity stripe. Overall, it has been a rough season for the Bulldogs, but I just wanted to paint a better picture of this particular game. And I do agree with you, New Hope is strong and skilled at all 5 positions, and very well coached. Good luck to all come tournament time!

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

If i'm not mistaken if Warren wins tomorrow against Cambridge and Logan loses to Logan Elm we'll have a matchup of 399 wins vs 399 wins with the winning coach joining the 400 club Friday night.

Go Blue
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Whs95fan wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:52 pm If i'm not mistaken if Warren wins tomorrow against Cambridge and Logan loses to Logan Elm we'll have a matchup of 399 wins vs 399 wins with the winning coach joining the 400 club Friday night.
Nice

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

socsportsfan1 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:01 pm I know being consistent can be a challenge when covering so many teams. You do a great job getting eyes on teams and ranking them for us to debate over. The middle is toughest to sort and I do think 16-40 could be ranked better in several places.

Still think you have Westfall, Alex and VC too high. Last week Westfall was 0-2 and didn't budge. VC loses by 15 to New Hope and doesn't considerably drop. Chesapeake loses 2 this week and ... Western wins 2 and doesn't move. Green loses at ND close and drops 5 or 6 spots. Just don't think you nailed the movement of that 16-40 range this week.
... I try to be consistent from week to week, I'll throw myself under the bus on this one as I tried to get my rankings out before the seedings came out - the extra "go over" was skipped in my haste ... not an excuse really, I may have kept them exactly the same ... Westfall not dropping big time due to the loss to Paint Valley - I felt the matchup was not a good one for Westfall ( and it played out that way) / Westfall battled ZT losing in OT the same week ... came back to win 2 they should have this past week ... I felt Westfall was still better than those teams below them - based on having seen them and the teams below them ... Green vs Notre Dame - strength of schedules played in this one ... the SOC1 is down imo ... I gave more credence to the latest W by ND over Green ... looked at ND losing to South Webster by 3/Green losing to SW by 21 (yes that was early in the season) ... both beat Western of late, Green a good win over New Hope and ND a good win over Manchester ... Notre Dame over Green last week moved them up switching places in the rankings ... could have split the difference but wanted to show the late season W head to head meant more than the early matchup ... Alexander loses to teams that play "at home defense" they don't let the role players beat them - Warren, Jackson, Athens - yes Athens with their matchup zone doesn't let KD do what he does best - control the tempo ... other than that Alexander has KD plus good role players ( they have been shorthanded the last 2 weeks losing one of those role players for the season in Jagger Cain - no one should want to play Alexander in the post season ... VC has struggled of late - the loss to New Hope dropped them from 14-20 in the rankings sorry I don't drop teams off the face of the earth with a loss (New Hope is good) - more losses they drop more ... the Peake lost 2 game (Ironton/Fairland) both if my rankings mean anything they should have lost but so would most everyone else in the rankings other than the top 12 teams again based on the rankings ... I've seen Chesapeake - nice team! - 5 of their losses were of the less than 5 points variety, the only team in Ohio to beat South Point this season ... I'll take the hit on ND moving up so far and Green dropping the same amount of spots - I went out of my comfort zone on that one -as I usually don't jump or drop teams that far either direction ... catching grief because I don't - I did this time and "I'm not consistent" LOL - it's all good though! I appreciate that ANYONE reads/follows my rankings to begin with ... I feel good about the rankings when I do post them - or I wouldn't post them ... the one thing I try to do is - "get it right" - at least in my mind ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:42 am
socsportsfan1 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:38 pm That was part of my argument without overtly stating it. If your not sold on the strength of the SOC I then why move ND up 5 spots and Green down for a close game. There are several good non-league showings out of some of those schools that I don't think were equally applied to the rankings. I agree with your assessment in general.

I think this is one of the years with the most parity between D2 and D4 that we have seen. A lot of youth it appears across the district and this year more than most I think some of the more solid D4 teams can compete with and beat some of the D2 and D3 who are not as strong as they have been. There are more examples of it this year than I think I can recall in recent years.

It will all settle itself out in the end as it does anyway (just not necessarily in pfloyd's rankings). I'm not sure I'd be that shocked by any team beating any of the others in that 16-40 range.
There are a few matchups from the end near #40 that I wouldn’t give much of a chance against some of the teams closer to #15…..but I’m not sure that doesn’t fit pretty well no matter what rankings you are looking at. Certainly true in college. I’ve always thought about 20-35 were real close in these weekly rankings. I like to look how team’s might do against another team’s schedule.

It’s cool that Pfloyd has watched all of these teams…many in the actual gym. Did he see Whiteoak vs McClain in that terrible outcome or did he see them vs Piketon where they just dominated. Did he watch Jackson struggle to beat a bad Hillsboro team or did he see them dismantle a struggling Waverly team…..can’t watch them all. I know he’s seen most multiple or several times. In all honesty I’ve thought he’s had my schools of interest too high mostly all year, but as the season has went I think he’s pretty much spot on with where he has them. As for ND/Green…looks like he was banking on that late season game showing who really is the team there and a big win for whichever team won 🤷🏻‍♂️
... I92, I'll have seen in-person 60 varsity games as we close out this week ... I haven't seen McClain/Piketon/Waverly in-person I have seen them multiple times on hudl feed games ... when I go to see games it's usually "the best" of matchups on a given night ...and the top teams I see 3-4 times per season each ... I don't see them all for sure, I've probably traveled more this winter to games than I have in the 20+ years I've been doing this - simply because the best of best are in the OVC, SOC big school division, SHAC teams ... if I didn't have a day job LOL I'd do more/especially on week days LOL ... having hudl access is a great thing - the smaller schools Western, NB, ND, Green, ISJ, even East, Clay, Symmes Valley etc. I've had a chance to see games ... THIS doesn't make me an expert in any way, shape or form LOL ... it only gives me a chance to imo compare teams as best I can ... THAT was the whole reason for starting traveling Southern/SEOhio ... anyone can rank teams based on scores/records etc. I felt it wasn't enough - I needed to get a better feel for teams - eyes on is the way to go FOR ME anyway ... I definitely get it wrong at times! trying to separate out who has played against who, did they win or lose , good loss, bad loss - this time of the year is hard with so much information to sift thru each week ... socsportsfan1 makes some great points/obviously knows what he is talking about! that is what this site is about! I love it when I can post something that others don't agree with! or they want an explanation for - perfect in my book ... there's posters that I definitely listen to when they post about teams/players/ disagreement with what I've posted as I don't assume that I'm right - I look at what I've posted/ranking of teams etc. saying hmmmm they are right and I am wrong ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Keep up the great work Pfloyd

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Keep up the great work you do pfloyd. I normally get to see a lot of basketball watching 7th and 8th grade , jv and varsity.
Been a tough year with my health issues and sisters with many doctors appointments and trips to Cleveland Clinic so unable to do my normal routine.
Pfloyd admire your work and enjoy the conversations. See you somewhere down the road.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

I'm sure most people wait(sometimes impatiently) each week for Sunday afternoon to arrive so that they can lay eyes on Pfloyd s Elite 8. I sure do. Well done Pfloyd. It's almost " Basketball 30".

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:16 pm

... I try to be consistent from week to week, I'll throw myself under the bus on this one as I tried to get my rankings out before the seedings came out - the extra "go over" was skipped in my haste ... not an excuse really, I may have kept them exactly the same ... Westfall not dropping big time due to the loss to Paint Valley - I felt the matchup was not a good one for Westfall ( and it played out that way) / Westfall battled ZT losing in OT the same week ... came back to win 2 they should have this past week ... I felt Westfall was still better than those teams below them - based on having seen them and the teams below them ... Green vs Notre Dame - strength of schedules played in this one ... the SOC1 is down imo ... I gave more credence to the latest W by ND over Green ... looked at ND losing to South Webster by 3/Green losing to SW by 21 (yes that was early in the season) ... both beat Western of late, Green a good win over New Hope and ND a good win over Manchester ... Notre Dame over Green last week moved them up switching places in the rankings ... could have split the difference but wanted to show the late season W head to head meant more than the early matchup ... Alexander loses to teams that play "at home defense" they don't let the role players beat them - Warren, Jackson, Athens - yes Athens with their matchup zone doesn't let KD do what he does best - control the tempo ... other than that Alexander has KD plus good role players ( they have been shorthanded the last 2 weeks losing one of those role players for the season in Jagger Cain - no one should want to play Alexander in the post season ... VC has struggled of late - the loss to New Hope dropped them from 14-20 in the rankings sorry I don't drop teams off the face of the earth with a loss (New Hope is good) - more losses they drop more ... the Peake lost 2 game (Ironton/Fairland) both if my rankings mean anything they should have lost but so would most everyone else in the rankings other than the top 12 teams again based on the rankings ... I've seen Chesapeake - nice team! - 5 of their losses were of the less than 5 points variety, the only team in Ohio to beat South Point this season ... I'll take the hit on ND moving up so far and Green dropping the same amount of spots - I went out of my comfort zone on that one -as I usually don't jump or drop teams that far either direction ... catching grief because I don't - I did this time and "I'm not consistent" LOL - it's all good though! I appreciate that ANYONE reads/follows my rankings to begin with ... I feel good about the rankings when I do post them - or I wouldn't post them ... the one thing I try to do is - "get it right" - at least in my mind ...
Appreciate the response and what you do. Not an easy task to cover that many teams. I don't intend to offend when I comment or "critique" the rankings. I like to present some other angles and a different lens. I don't necessarily think the SOC I is down. Historically speaking, I think the TVC and SVC are both down more. Considering both of those leagues have bigger schools it makes it more obvious in my mind. I think there are a lot of games and results that show several of the SOC I teams competing well across the district. I particularly think the top 2, ND and Green, are very quality. A 5 spot drop and "swap" for a 1 possession loss on the road seemed a bit harsh considering the movement of other teams. No complaints if it were to a much lower ranked league team.
I agree with your assessment of Chesapeake. I think they are in the same ballpark as both schools and warrant a ranking in the same range. I don't think they should have dropped a lot for those losses either. As I've said before, I think there is a tremendous amount of parity across divisions and across the district this year. It has and will continue to make for some interesting basketball.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

socsportsfan1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:46 pm
pfloyd wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:16 pm

Appreciate the response and what you do. Not an easy task to cover that many teams. I don't intend to offend when I comment or "critique" the rankings. I like to present some other angles and a different lens. I don't necessarily think the SOC I is down. Historically speaking, I think the TVC and SVC are both down more. Considering both of those leagues have bigger schools it makes it more obvious in my mind. I think there are a lot of games and results that show several of the SOC I teams competing well across the district. I particularly think the top 2, ND and Green, are very quality. A 5 spot drop and "swap" for a 1 possession loss on the road seemed a bit harsh considering the movement of other teams. No complaints if it were to a much lower ranked league team.
I agree with your assessment of Chesapeake. I think they are in the same ballpark as both schools and warrant a ranking in the same range. I don't think they should have dropped a lot for those losses either. As I've said before, I think there is a tremendous amount of parity across divisions and across the district this year. It has and will continue to make for some interesting basketball.
...no offense taken on this end ... I'm thick skinned AND old to boot LOL ... I have NO PROBLEM being questioned or given other viewpoints to think about and consider ... it's all good ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Jackson hosting Vinton County in a rare Thursday night game in the Apple City - going to make the trip down, I'm willing to bet the Warren coaching staff will be in attendance prior to the Warriors taking on Logan at Jim Myers Gymnasium in Logan Friday night ... Logan's Coach Rider picking up his #400th win as a head coach Tuesday night vs Logan Elm will be trying to keep Coach Maddox from reaching the #400 milestone himself Friday night ... I'll stay in Logan for this one Friday night ...

jcbigblue13
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue13 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:39 pm Jackson hosting Vinton County in a rare Thursday night game in the Apple City - going to make the trip down, I'm willing to bet the Warren coaching staff will be in attendance prior to the Warriors taking on Logan at Jim Myers Gymnasium in Logan Friday night ... Logan's Coach Rider picking up his #400th win as a head coach Tuesday night vs Logan Elm will be trying to keep Coach Maddox from reaching the #400 milestone himself Friday night ... I'll stay in Logan for this one Friday night ...
We will be there

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:39 pm Jackson hosting Vinton County in a rare Thursday night game in the Apple City - going to make the trip down, I'm willing to bet the Warren coaching staff will be in attendance prior to the Warriors taking on Logan at Jim Myers Gymnasium in Logan Friday night ... Logan's Coach Rider picking up his #400th win as a head coach Tuesday night vs Logan Elm will be trying to keep Coach Maddox from reaching the #400 milestone himself Friday night ... I'll stay in Logan for this one Friday night ...
See you there

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:57 pm
See you there
I92, I've watched the Jackson vs South Webster, Jackson vs Warren, Jackson vs Unioto games on the livestream reruns throughout the season - did the napkin stats for all of them as well ! looking forward to getting eyes on the youngsters tomorrow night ... see you there! is there a freshmen game?

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

jcbigblue13 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:24 pm
We will be there
Live streamed?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hookshot wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:44 pm
We will be there
Live streamed?
... Hookshot , they usually are for free AND they are synched with the radio guys for Jackson who always do a great job broadcasting the games for Jackson ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:39 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:57 pm
See you there
I92, I've watched the Jackson vs South Webster, Jackson vs Warren, Jackson vs Unioto games on the livestream reruns throughout the season - did the napkin stats for all of them as well ! looking forward to getting eyes on the youngsters tomorrow night ... see you there! is there a freshmen game?
Yes…freshman game

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:15 pm
Hookshot wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:44 pm

We will be there
Live streamed?
... Hookshot , they usually are for free AND they are synched with the radio guys for Jackson who always do a great job broadcasting the games for Jackson ...
Jackson does a good job with their streams. Beep when you drive by the house Floyd!

Return to “Boys Basketball”