Top five active coaches in Southeast Ohio

Whs95fan
S

Re: Top five active coaches in Southeast Ohio

Post by Whs95fan »

Pinwheel wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:13 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:54 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:33 pm This thread is almost old enough to have a drivers license
... I was AROUND on SEOPS when this one was first posed ... the guard as changed while some of the youngin's mentioned are now the old guard. the "wise ones" ... they have proven that the mention back in 2007 was not just because they had "a good season" :

1. Coach Maddox (Warren)
2. Coach Howie Caldwell (Trimble)
3. Coach Stiverson (Logan Elm)
4. Coach Beuchler (Eastern Brown)
5. Coach Speed (Fairland)
6. Coach Morrow (Jackson)
7. Coach Hoops (Unioto)
8. Coach Arey (Peebles)
9. Coach Kellough (Zane Trace)
10. Coach Collins (Portsmouth)

... Coach Copas (North Adams), Coach Shoemaker (Minford), Coach Ater (Chesapeake), Coach Vanderhoof (Coal Grove), Coach Beard (Chillicothe), Coach Fisher (Sheridan), Coach Thompson (Federal Hocking) ...

... up and coming youngsters/relative youngsters to the Head Coaching position:

Coach Meister (Westfall) , Coach Williams (Western Pike), Coach Leist (Eastern Pike), Coach Kight (Vinton County), Coach Shaeffer, Coach Carpenter (Circleville), Coach McKinnis (Oak Hill)

I'm guessing all the top ten played in the state ?

Some good coaches
I believe everyone except numbers 6-8 but not 100% sure.

Go Blue
Happy2bhere
Freshman Team

Post by Happy2bhere »

Here are some names probably a lot of people on the site don't know. Going back to the old Tri- County League (TCL). I'm pretty sure the last year of the league was 1984. The league consisted of 6 teams and was one of the toughest leagues. Now I can't remember a couple of the coaches, but I'm sure someone can help fill in the blanks. They had some of the best coaches around.

Eastern Pike - Coach, Don Cantrell
Green - ????
Peebles - Coach, Art Myers
Portsmouth Clay - Coach, Arch Justice
South Webster - ????
Western Latham - Hecki, Thompson

Happy2bhere
Freshman Team

Post by Happy2bhere »

Sorry misread the post, old age!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Happy2bhere wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:03 pm Sorry misread the post, old age!!!
… I’d add Homer Pellegrinon New Boston / Steve Jenkins New Boston to YOUR list Happy2bhere …

Happy2bhere
Freshman Team

Post by Happy2bhere »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:06 pm
… I’d add Homer Pellegrinon New Boston / Steve Jenkins New Boston to YOUR list Happy2bhere …

Definitely should have and I'm sure missing others as well!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Happy2bhere wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:26 pm
pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:06 pm

Definitely should have and I'm sure missing others as well!
Nothing wrong with bringing up great coaches of the past, especially with a lot of the coaches in the first few pages of this post being on to other endeavors at this point

I know I appreciate it at least

Larry Jordan in his time at Southeastern, Ron Hall took Zane Trace and Miami Trace to the Final Four and had a couple of really good teams at Adena as well.
Last edited by danicalifornia on Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Hughes was the coach at Green when Rick Scarberry played there in the early 80’s.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Was fun going back and reading the first few pages. Back in 2007 the SE district was loaded with big time coaches.

Do they go to the monitor now late in state games? The North Adams folks would still like 1996 back and I’m with them.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:21 am Was fun going back and reading the first few pages. Back in 2007 the SE district was loaded with big time coaches.

Do they go to the monitor now late in state games? The North Adams folks would still like 1996 back and I’m with them.
They do in the Finals for sure. I would think they would for the semi too, but I’m not 100% on that.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Happy2bhere wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:59 pm Here are some names probably a lot of people on the site don't know. Going back to the old Tri- County League (TCL). I'm pretty sure the last year of the league was 1984. The league consisted of 6 teams and was one of the toughest leagues. Now I can't remember a couple of the coaches, but I'm sure someone can help fill in the blanks. They had some of the best coaches around.

Eastern Pike - Coach, Don Cantrell
Green - ????
Peebles - Coach, Art Myers
Portsmouth Clay - Coach, Arch Justice
South Webster - ????
Western Latham - Hecki, Thompson
Great league for sure.

Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Post by Picket Fence »

When I think of top ACTIVE coaches in SE Ohio you have to list Blaine Maddox as #1. He gets the most out of his players. He might not have the most talent every year, but he gets the kids to play hard, execute, and be a tough out EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Plus he has a Final Four appearance 10 years ago.

The remaining would have to be. Howie Caldwell (Trimble, FedHock, ReedEastern-Final4, & Southern), Beucler (SardEastBrown-Final4), Collins (PortsHS-Final4x2 but tons of talent in years past though), Arey (Peebs), Kellough (ZaneT, Chilli-StateChmp, ZaneT?).

Return to “Boys Basketball”