Huntington (0-6)
Manchester (2-5)

... Teams on the End Table ...

Miller (0-4)
Portsmouth East (1-2)
Portsmouth Clay (0-6)
Crooksville (0-6)
West Union (0-4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elite 8 breakdown by Division for Week 3

1-8 by division :

D2 ... 3
D3 ... 4
D4 ... 1

1-15 by division :

D2 ... 8
D3 ... 5
D4 ... 2

1-20 by division:

D2 ... 9
D3 ... 7
D4 ... 4

1-25 by division:

D2 ... 12
D3 ... 9
D4 ... 4

Week 3 Top 10 rankings for each Division in Southern/SouthEast Ohio

Top 10 D2 Teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line

1. Washington CH
2. Fairfield Union
3. Miami Trace
4. Vinton County
5. New Lexington
6. Gallia Academy
7. Sheridan
8. Warren
9. Alexander
10. Jackson

Top 10 D3 Teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line

1. Minford
2. Lucasville Valley
3. South Point
4. North Adams
5. Fairland
6. Zane Trace
7. WestFall
8. Wheelersburg
9. Lynchburg Clay
10. Portsmouth

Top 10 D4 Teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line

1. Fairfield Leesburg
2. South Webster
3. Federal Hocking
4. Paint Valley
5. Whiteoak
6. Eastern Pike
7. Western Pike
8. Portsmouth Notre Dame
9. Green
10. Trimble
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 3

Post by VetteMan »

Pfloyd, good job as usual.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Alexander is 6-2, Floyd.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

River Valley is 1-7

The Point score was wrong early in the season.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Looks good man. Good work!

I feel Ironton might be higher but it’s their first week.

Fairfield with two road wins over top 8 teams
Last edited by Ironman92 on Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

The Peake about where I thought you would have them.
Lost to North Adams a good team
Beat one of your top team South Point.
Lost to Rock Hill by 10 free throws RH shot 18-28
Peake 8-12.
Lost to Portsmouth who shot really well.
Lost to one of those foreign team a good Spring Valley team.
Lost at South Webster which went to the wire. Again free throws I believe were Peake 8-12 am SW 19-27.
Give Ater time.
I believe the jv is 6-0 if they beat SW.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Just curious the relatively strong ranking of Jackson (3-3) with no wins against ranked opponents and mostly lopsided losses otherwise. A couple of other D2s off to a better start it would appear.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:46 pm Alexander is 6-2, Floyd.
... thanks 93dog ... I corrected the records ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hookshot wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:00 pm Just curious the relatively strong ranking of Jackson (3-3) with no wins against ranked opponents and mostly lopsided losses otherwise. A couple of other D2s off to a better start it would appear.
Were down 4 to Washington with 2 minutes left and an intentional foul call gave them free throws and the ball and pulled away with late foul shots.

They beat McClain and Hillsboro better than 9-1 Washington CH did. Lost at #11 SW in a 10 point game most of the way. MT beat Jackson bad….good win at Chillicothe, which gave MT fits.

Maybe they aren’t top 25…..they shouldn’t be with basically 2 varsity players and a mess of others (including 4 freshman) stepping in and stepping up)….and 7 of the 10 rotation players got a late start and still working into basketball shape. Maybe they should be #35 or #45….but I’m proud of what they’ve done so far.

Their 3 losses were against MT who has a big strong 6’8 player, WCH with a big strong and athletic 6’6 player snd South Webster with a long 6’6 player. Those 3 all had huge games and Jackson no one over 6’2…of with 5’9-5’11 players guarding them. Typically Jackson is excellent at guarding the bigger players, so I’d guess they’ll improve there.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:19 pm
Hookshot wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:00 pm Just curious the relatively strong ranking of Jackson (3-3) with no wins against ranked opponents and mostly lopsided losses otherwise. A couple of other D2s off to a better start it would appear.
Were down 4 to Washington with 2 minutes left and an intentional foul call gave them free throws and the ball and pulled away with late foul shots.

They beat McClain and Hillsboro better than 9-1 Washington CH did. Lost at #11 SW in a 10 point game most of the way. MT beat Jackson bad….good win at Chillicothe, which gave MT fits.

Maybe they aren’t top 25…..they shouldn’t be with basically 2 varsity players and a mess of others (including 4 freshman) stepping in and stepping up)….and 7 of the 10 rotation players got a late start and still working into basketball shape. Maybe they should be #35 or #45….but I’m proud of what they’ve done so far.

Their 3 losses were against MT who has a big strong 6’8 player, WCH with a big strong and athletic 6’6 player snd South Webster with a long 6’6 player. Those 3 all had huge games and Jackson no one over 6’2…of with 5’9-5’11 players guarding them. Typically Jackson is excellent at guarding the bigger players, so I’d guess they’ll improve there.
I appreciate the response, but I can find at least three others ranked below them with a much better portfolio at this point. We can only judge the body of work as of today. Anyway this is a message and opinion board so logically we will have different perspectives.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hookshot wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:12 pm

I appreciate the response, but I can find at least three others ranked below them with a much better portfolio at this point. We can only judge the body of work as of today. Anyway this is a message and opinion board so logically we will have different perspectives.
I’m not saying you are wrong…but their losses have not been mostly blowouts though. I am surprised they are above Marietta. I do wonder what Marietta/Logan Elm/Circleville what their records would be playing Jackson’s schedule…I’d guess 3-3 and maybe they’d be 4-2, but I say more likely 2-4 🤷🏻‍♂️…just my thoughts, I don’t know. I wonder what Jackson’s record would be against those other 3’s schedules.

Pfloyd typically gives the benefit of the teams led by what he considers strong coaching and strong programs…..when he replies that will be part of it.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... which D2 teams do you feel deserve to be ranked above the Ironmen Hookshot? and that is not to say that you would be wrong in your thinking ... I tend to move teams up and down slower than most who would rank teams - I like to see and give teams a chance to show me they deserve to move up and down ... this time of the year - there are teams of programs/coaches I have great respect for - I will give these programs some latitude in my ranking - this does not mean that an L is not an L - it is or a seemingly lopsided L doesn't go unnoticed but I also realize that a lineup of youngsters are going to have an outstanding outing one night, then turn around and the same young team looks like a group of youngins' ... young teams will BE up and down until they get used to the varsity game ... I also give latitude to the proven/outstanding coaches and the outstanding staffs ... it doesn't mean I don't "count" the losses - I just let teams show me that the poor outing or poor loss is the norm not the exception and that takes time imo ... I don't drop teams like they have a lead weight around their neck the same way I don't JUMP teams UP the rankings if they have a great game and knock off a much higher ranked team - it is noted that they beat a quality team - and I watch them closely to make sure that if the quality play is the norm or was it a combination of their good play and the poor play of the quality opponent on a given night ... this doesn't make how I think or what I do RIGHT in anyway but it is at least my thinking and has been for the 20+ years I've been doing what I do ... the key is that I try my best to be consistent ... over the course of the season I try to get it right , fair ... this is why I try to SEE in person as many teams as I can throughout the season - nothing beats eyes on ... I watch a lot of video of games as I have access to hudl from a few teams in different parts of the SE district so that between these teams I can see most of the teams D2, D3, D4 either through the scouting games or games played that posted after the games are played ...

... a major purpose of the rankings is to start conversation, to put something out there that NOT everyone will agree with ... differing opinions are what make these types of forums "work". if we all thought the same - I would be wasting my time in doing what I do ... I sat beside a 96 year old gentlemen for 3 games at the Spartan Classic yesterday by the name of Gene ... he loves basketball, has gone to all of the Alexander home basketball games that he can get to for obviously many many many years... it was fascinating talking to him for 4 hours or so, about life, about the games we watched together ... the gentlemen was sharp as they come ... the games ended, he told me he enjoyed talking hoops, he even asked me "Do you know everyone in here?! or do they all know you?!!" ... I will go back to Alexander and watch at least 1 more game at the Alley this season - I will make sure I sit with Gene again ... my point, we all hopefully enjoy high school hoops, even if we don't see eye to eye we can sit down together , watch a game or 100 and still love the game ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Whether I agree a bit or disagree a bit….or a lot, I can never say that Pfloyd isn’t consistent in his ways of his rankings. 93bulldog will agree.

I like to predict what Pfloyd will do just before his rankings come out…and I guarantee he knows what I might question him on….it’s all good.

Give your thoughts hookshot…the more people that comment and “educate” us on here the more we can be familiar with a team. So few people post any more it’s hard to get as good of a feel on a team as it used to be. I’m quite ignorant on Marietta and many of the teams they play. It’s been a minute since they’ve been really good and it takes a bit more “proving” it than that say a team like Warren or LE who seem to always be there. If it’s XC or soccer I know that Etta is tough and a top team…the other sports we don’t hear much about as they are on the far edge of the district and play many teams out of the district.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:47 pm
Hookshot wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:12 pm

I’m not saying you are wrong…but their losses have not been mostly blowouts though. I am surprised they are above Marietta. I do wonder what Marietta/Logan Elm/Circleville what their records would be playing Jackson’s schedule…I’d guess 3-3 and maybe they’d be 4-2, but I say more likely 2-4 🤷🏻‍♂️…just my thoughts, I don’t know. I wonder what Jackson’s record would be against those other 3’s schedules.

Pfloyd typically gives the benefit of the teams led by what he considers strong coaching and strong programs…..when he replies that will be part of it.
... Marietta is 5-1 ... lost to Gallia Academy, a good win over John Glenn I have an "*" beside that one ... but the other wins - Athens - without 2 Athens starters, Meigs, Philo, Trimble ... all teams ranked below them from the 1st rankings to now ... Circleville at 4-3 IS moving up ... playing good ball ... both of these teams ARE moving up the rankings ... both of these teams have to show consistency in winning ... Marietta has gotten a boost having Coach Warner back on the coaching staff (as Coach Warner WAS the head coach at Marietta years ago - I very much respect him and what he brings to that staff ) ... Coach Carpenter and his staff which has Coach Cassidy - past head coach at roundtown - back on the CHS staff - have been doing the right things in building that program back up as well - biddy ball up through the ranks ... the Tigers have 2 freshmen that are playing outstanding hoops, the future looks bright in roundtown ... both Marietta and Circleville are on the radar of the committee of one ...

Area51
Waterboy

Post by Area51 »

Ironton Saint Joe hasn’t lived up to their hype. However they are actually 3-3 on the season with a 7point win against Western Pike and they share a common opponent (Grace Christian) with Green and SJ beat them by more. The Symmes Valley loss is a bad bad loss, but their other two losses were to D1 Ashland Blazer, KY, and D2 Ironton. Both of these losses were by 25+, however the Flyers were competitive for quite sometime in both games.
Last edited by Area51 on Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Washington Court House has already played 10 games? dang.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:37 pm
... which D2 teams do you feel deserve to be ranked above the Ironmen Hookshot? and that is not to say that you would be wrong in your thinking ... I tend to move teams up and down slower than most who would rank teams - I like to see and give teams a chance to show me they deserve to move up and down ... this time of the year - there are teams of programs/coaches I have great respect for - I will give these programs some latitude in my ranking - this does not mean that an L is not an L - it is or a seemingly lopsided L doesn't go unnoticed but I also realize that a lineup of youngsters are going to have an outstanding outing one night, then turn around and the same young team looks like a group of youngins' ... young teams will BE up and down until they get used to the varsity game ... I also give latitude to the proven/outstanding coaches and the outstanding staffs ... it doesn't mean I don't "count" the losses - I just let teams show me that the poor outing or poor loss is the norm not the exception and that takes time imo ... I don't drop teams like they have a lead weight around their neck the same way I don't JUMP teams UP the rankings if they have a great game and knock off a much higher ranked team - it is noted that they beat a quality team - and I watch them closely to make sure that if the quality play is the norm or was it a combination of their good play and the poor play of the quality opponent on a given night ... this doesn't make how I think or what I do RIGHT in anyway but it is at least my thinking and has been for the 20+ years I've been doing what I do ... the key is that I try my best to be consistent ... over the course of the season I try to get it right , fair ... this is why I try to SEE in person as many teams as I can throughout the season - nothing beats eyes on ... I watch a lot of video of games as I have access to hudl from a few teams in different parts of the SE district so that between these teams I can see most of the teams D2, D3, D4 either through the scouting games or games played that posted after the games are played ...

... a major purpose of the rankings is to start conversation, to put something out there that NOT everyone will agree with ... differing opinions are what make these types of forums "work". if we all thought the same - I would be wasting my time in doing what I do ... I sat beside a 96 year old gentlemen for 3 games at the Spartan Classic yesterday by the name of Gene ... he loves basketball, has gone to all of the Alexander home basketball games that he can get to for obviously many many many years... it was fascinating talking to him for 4 hours or so, about life, about the games we watched together ... the gentlemen was sharp as they come ... the games ended, he told me he enjoyed talking hoops, he even asked me "Do you know everyone in here?! or do they all know you?!!" ... I will go back to Alexander and watch at least 1 more game at the Alley this season - I will make sure I sit with Gene again ... my point, we all hopefully enjoy high school hoops, even if we don't see eye to eye we can sit down together , watch a game or 100 and still love the game ...
I'm surprised I generated multiple and lengthy responses to my quick observation. I appreciate your response and your approach and "methodology" to your rankings. While close losses, key players being out, home and away, tradition and reputation of the program, coaching history can all be factors, I admit I tend to factor most heavily whether the team won the game or not. That's the primary objective of why they play the game. But its still early and some teams I admit either haven't proven themselves well enough and others have other considerations like missing starters.

**I'm not upset at all at the rankings or this site. Pfloyd likely knows more about the region than anyone and, without him, where could you engage like this in an educated fashion on how the teams are doing? Again, appreciation!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Great job as always pfloyd! Love reading your rankings and recaps.

As for my top 8 in each division, I'm leaning this way for now.

D2:

1.) Fairfield Union
2.) Washington Court House
3.) New Lexinton
4.) Gallia Academy
5.) Miami Trace
6.) Vinton County
7.) Sheridan
8.) Warren

D3:

1.) Minford
2.) Valley
3.) South Point
4.) North Adams
5.) Zane Trace
6.) Fairland
7.) Lynchburg
8.) Wheelersburg

D4:

1.) Fairfield Leesburg
2.) South Webster
3.) Federal Hocking
4.) Paint Valley
5.) Notre Dame
6.) Eastern
7.) Green
8.) Western

Eastern lost to Green but then turned around and beat a solid Wheelersburg squad so they had to move up a few spots for that win.

D3 district looks like it will be the most interesting with tons of teams capable of knocking off the eventual higher seeds.

Would love to see South Point play Minford or Valley to see how those teams compare. This is the best Minford team I've seen in many many years. 6'4", 6'5", 6'7" front row with a solid senior guard and then arguably the best guard in SEO starting beside those 4. Loaded.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:18 am Great job as always pfloyd! Love reading your rankings and recaps.

As for my top 8 in each division, I'm leaning this way for now.

D2:

1.) Fairfield Union
2.) Washington Court House
3.) New Lexinton
4.) Gallia Academy
5.) Miami Trace
6.) Vinton County
7.) Sheridan
8.) Warren

D3:

1.) Minford
2.) Valley
3.) South Point
4.) North Adams
5.) Zane Trace
6.) Fairland
7.) Lynchburg
8.) Wheelersburg

D4:

1.) Fairfield Leesburg
2.) South Webster
3.) Federal Hocking
4.) Paint Valley
5.) Notre Dame
6.) Eastern
7.) Green
8.) Western

Eastern lost to Green but then turned around and beat a solid Wheelersburg squad so they had to move up a few spots for that win.

D3 district looks like it will be the most interesting with tons of teams capable of knocking off the eventual higher seeds.

Would love to see South Point play Minford or Valley to see how those teams compare. This is the best Minford team I've seen in many many years. 6'4", 6'5", 6'7" front row with a solid senior guard and then arguably the best guard in SEO starting beside those 4. Loaded.
Good stuff bbjunky81! … I’m with you on “wishing” I could put together a mid season classic matching up some of our teams lol …

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Wouldn't that be awesome?

Imagine a lineup like this on a Saturday over Christmas break:

Washington Court House vs. New Lexington

Gallia Academy vs. Fairfield Union

Valley vs. South Point

Minford vs. North Adams

South Webster vs. Fairfield

Maybe one of these days we can get our heads together and try to make something like this happen! Call it the "PFloyd Christmas Classic"

Watching SE Ohio basketball

Return to “Boys Basketball”