District Championship …Trimble vs Western. Updates

Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Re: District Championship …Trimble vs Western. Updates

Post by Picket Fence »

Congrats to the Indians and congrats to the Tomcats for a stellar regular season.

I hate to say it but Trimble’s district final exit was a product of playing a subpar regular season schedule. Western clearly had the tougher schedule.

A prime example can be found at Waverly HS. Their AD and head coach both knew they were going be really good Trey Robertson’s senior year, so what did they do?……..they scheduled up. Hung in there but got beat by some really good teams NOT from the SE District and whacha know?!!! They beat Warren and are playing in regionals. Scheduling up is a good thing. I wish Trimble would have scheduled up, so they are tournament tested and ready to grit it out.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Picket Fence wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:08 pm Congrats to the Indians and congrats to the Tomcats for a stellar regular season.

I hate to say it but Trimble’s district final exit was a product of playing a subpar regular season schedule. Western clearly had the tougher schedule.

A prime example can be found at Waverly HS. Their AD and head coach both knew they were going be really good Trey Robertson’s senior year, so what did they do?……..they scheduled up. Hung in there but got beat by some really good teams NOT from the SE District and whacha know?!!! They beat Warren and are playing in regionals. Scheduling up is a good thing. I wish Trimble would have scheduled up, so they are tournament tested and ready to grit it out.
You are absolutely right. Trimble can’t help that the TVC is really bad, but they can control their out of conference opponents. They didn’t schedule up and it cost them.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Post by Picket Fence »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:17 pm
Picket Fence wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:08 pm Congrats to the Indians and congrats to the Tomcats for a stellar regular season.

You are absolutely right. Trimble can’t help that the TVC is really bad, but they can control their out of conference opponents. They didn’t schedule up and it cost them.
Yeah, I don’t know why more teams don’t schedule up when they are expected to have more talent than they normally have. Back when I was in school, we scheduled up, won a couple and lost a couple…ended up playing in the state final four. If it wasn’t for getting our rear-ends handed to us, we wouldn’t have had the mental fortitude to withstand runs.

Sweater poorly knit
Waterboy

Post by Sweater poorly knit »

Couldn’t agree more. Southern Ohio has so many quality teams year after year and those teams are always tough outs. Trimble struggled at times with a battled tested beaver eastern who won what, 6 games? There’s value in getting beaten up on.

Trimbles schedule gifted them the #1 seed and that’s great for getting to the district finals but doesn’t adequately prepare them for the better teams in the area.
Fairfield by comparison took some beatings early and was a good bounce away from being in the regional semis.

Would like to see the upper echelon TVC schools schedule up.

Congrats to Western.

Valley looks scary.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:54 pm
HeavyWd40 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:28 pm Western is in Pike county on the western end. In latham Ohio . We are not Western Brown. Proud of our Indians tonight !
Would be cool if Latham had a Butterbees tho
👍 Agree!!

Calvin
Freshman Team

Post by Calvin »

Yes schedule up and tell the regular season officials to stop giving you all those calls and taking care of you. Make the players know what to expect deep in the tourney. You don't get officials who act like they're afraid of a coach in the later rounds. Oh well, pitchers and catchers report in Glouster on Monday. Good luck Western the rest of the way.

Celebrating wins over the most hated.
Roy Mcavoy
Freshman Team

Post by Roy Mcavoy »

Western played a great game, very impressed with their defense. I've never seen anyone shut down #10 like that. Good luck in the regionals

Greatest 12 in US Open History
Tigerhawk123
Waterboy

Post by Tigerhawk123 »

Officiating was not terribly consistent but had little bearing on this game. Trimble struggled with Western's pressure in the quarter court. Tough to run things against Western. Howie tried to iso the guards some in the second half but Western shut them down. Western clearly the better team tonight, hope they can make a run in regionals.

WonderNova
Freshman Team

Post by WonderNova »

I can speak to this as an Eastern Brown parent/alum. The past 5 years Coach Beucler has tried to do this. The last two years especially. The SHAC at times can be top heavy, with a slew of not very good teams at bottom, but you have to play them twice. This year they scheduled Fairland, Peake, Norwayne. Mason County,KY, Western Brown(D1), and Georgetown(in a fairness an old SHAC rival that bolted in the eaRly 90s), to get them tourney tested. This is the one year that backfired because of illness and injuries, they were out of gas at the end and hurt. never hurts to venture outside the friendly confines and play a few.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

If I'm a head coach, knowing what I have coming back, knowing what I have coming up I would do exactly as Waverly did with the regular season league schedule set in stone you can look at the "in-season" classics ... there ARE some excellent ones with more popping up next season - the ZT Classic, the Ironton 2 day classic, North Adams Coach Young Classic, Alexander's Spartan's Classic, Waverly's own holiday affair ... Waverly played in the Alexander Classic vs Newark /their own Waverly Classic vs Upper Arlington/Ironton's classic vs Hurricane WVa and went up the NW Ohio to play in another clash with Colonel Crawford ... they saw a wide variety of teams ... if you're good- teams WANT to play you ... Warren High School is starting their own tip off/2 day event in November of 2022 ... if you want to play vs quality teams there ARE events to get into that will match up you quality opponents - every event wants marquee games ...

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

@Gray Cat How's that crow taste?
Do you need some water to get it all down?

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

AnkleBraces wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:57 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:54 pm
HeavyWd40 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:28 pm Western is in Pike county on the western end. In latham Ohio . We are not Western Brown. Proud of our Indians tonight !
Would be cool if Latham had a Butterbees tho
Can’t be better than west side diner 😂😂
I'd say the diner was rocking today.

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

Did Western beat the brakes off of the wee cats or what? I did see that Howdy shook hands after the game though. So they are making progress. Did the AD chase the refs off of the court again, or is that only when they lose at home? :mrgreen:

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

@Gray Cat

https://youtu.be/Xq3hEMUeBGQ
Put me in coach 🤣🤣🤣

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Anybody checked the baseball thread for him? Lol

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:28 pm Anybody checked the baseball thread for him? Lol
He’s probably still at Glouster Lube and Tire getting his brakes fixed after what western did

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:40 pm
oldschoolqb13 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:28 pm Anybody checked the baseball thread for him? Lol
He’s probably still at Glouster Lube and Tire getting his brakes fixed after what western did
😂

Return to “Boys Basketball”