Biggest GYMs in SEO and would you pay 25 for all day convo pass

Pol pot
SE

Re: Biggest GYMs in SEO and would you pay 25 for all day convo pass

Post by Pol pot »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:04 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:33 pm On another note….gyms I’ve never been in

Coal Grove
South Gallia
Sheridan
New Lexington
Crooksville
Miller
Belpre
Federal Hocking (was going but games on same date this year)
Belpre gym is like one of them old school gyms from a school built in the 30’s. About 2 ft of room to inbound the ball under the baskets. Benches on the line. Bleachers on one side stage on the other.

Belpre is like Fed hocks gym.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Pol pot wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:30 pm Jackson and Logan would not host this year maybe you could youse your SEOP cred and see if they would change their mind?
I thought odd Logan didn’t want to host the D2 sectionals. Perfect location for D2

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:15 am
Pol pot wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:30 pm Jackson and Logan would not host this year maybe you could youse your SEOP cred and see if they would change their mind?
I thought odd Logan didn’t want to host the D2 sectionals. Perfect location for D2
Unless you are Miami Trace, Washington, Hillsboro or McClain….but Logan is a good choice.

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Omega wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:49 am
Kicker. wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:22 am Waverly has the best gym in SEO
Waverly and its community have done an amazing job of maintaining and upgrading a facility that I believe will be 50 years old next season. There is adequate parking. The only draw back is the cozy mezzanine.

As to capacity, it was claimed to hold 3,200 when opened, but I would say realistically 2,600 is max after the renovations. A great venue for high school tournaments and the school does a great job as hosts.

Maybe @smurray or other Tiger insiders have a valid seating capacity number.
I think Ironton may be bigger than Waverly if you count the upper deck. Waverly has the best setup with parking, for sure.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Just hope they can figure out a way to get Districts back to Convo next year someway, somehow. All the schools above have fine facilities, but District/Regional tourney basketball in Southeastern Ohio belongs at the Convo.*

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

OVC wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:55 am
Kicker. wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:22 am Waverly has the best gym in SEO
Waverly and its community have done an amazing job of maintaining and upgrading a facility that I believe will be 50 years old next season. There is adequate parking. The only draw back is the cozy mezzanine.

As to capacity, it was claimed to hold 3,200 when opened, but I would say realistically 2,600 is max after the renovations. A great venue for high school tournaments and the school does a great job as hosts.

I think Ironton may be bigger than Waverly if you count the upper deck. Waverly has the best setup with parking, for sure.
Thinking back to the one game I attended at Ironton, it may very well be larger than Waverly's seating. Also judging from pictures, Logan is likely larger. All in all, Waverly offers the best combination of seating, amenities, parking and willingness to serve as gracious hosts.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Portsmouth East should host Districts

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:15 am
Sectionals are at the highest seed (home game) not a neutral site.

Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Post by Picket Fence »

I personally like Jackson’s Facility, adequate seating, plentiful parking, unique layout, and very well maintained.

Piketon’s Gym is spacious.

Logan’s is the run of the mill (I call it a Columbus-Style Gym). If you go to Pickerington/Gahanna/Dublin you’ll see large bleachers on each side and a college length court. It’s very nice. I personally liked the court that “Katie Smith built” though.

Waverly’s gym is very spacious. I like the feel.

Warren’s new gym is nice but it appears woefully undersized for the size of school they have.

Alexander’s gym is a wonderful setup. Super unique and spacious for a school of its size.

Southeastern’s gym is nice as well.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Picket Fence wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:35 pm I personally like Jackson’s Facility, adequate seating, plentiful parking, unique layout, and very well maintained.

Piketon’s Gym is spacious.

Logan’s is the run of the mill (I call it a Columbus-Style Gym). If you go to Pickerington/Gahanna/Dublin you’ll see large bleachers on each side and a college length court. It’s very nice. I personally liked the court that “Katie Smith built” though.

Waverly’s gym is very spacious. I like the feel.

Warren’s new gym is nice but it appears woefully undersized for the size of school they have.

Alexander’s gym is a wonderful setup. Super unique and spacious for a school of its size.

Southeastern’s gym is nice as well.
I thought at one time I heard The Katie could seat more than the Gym on 328?????? Plenty of parking, it was always well maintained.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

smurray wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:54 am Sectionals are at the highest seed (home game) not a neutral site.
Typo. Meant to say districts

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Omega wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:01 am
OVC wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:55 am

Thinking back to the one game I attended at Ironton, it may very well be larger than Waverly's seating. Also judging from pictures, Logan is likely larger. All in all, Waverly offers the best combination of seating, amenities, parking and willingness to serve as gracious hosts.
Ironton might be bigger than Waverly, but we are talking 200-300 seats tops. Ironton has bigger lower deck and smaller upper deck. Ironton’s gym couldn’t handle the crowd, the parking is bad, location not as central, etc.

Glad to hear Convo isn’t done going forward. Afraid SE District making too much clearing gyms and saving on rental fees though.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:59 pm
smurray wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:54 am Sectionals are at the highest seed (home game) not a neutral site.
Typo. Meant to say districts
A typo for ten letters that makes a sensible word doesn't make sense, probably a brain cramp! LOL

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:55 am Just hope they can figure out a way to get Districts back to Convo next year someway, somehow. All the schools above have fine facilities, but District/Regional tourney basketball in Southeastern Ohio belongs at the Convo.*
It's all about availability. This year the Convocation Center simply was not going to work with the schedule.

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:09 pm Piketon was good inside. The parking area And getting out of town with district games would be a nightmare though. It took like 20 minutes to get from Wellston high to 32 last night. And that was after the 20 minute wait to get out of the lot
Agree 100%, parking at Wellston was terrible. I don't enjoy the thought of having to fight traffic again on Friday, felt like Rickie Bobby last Saturday. They definitely need to come up with a good directional flow of traffic and keep people from parking along the entrances turning 2 ways into 1 ways. Waverly and Logan both are much easier places to get in and out of and I always enjoyed traveling to Northwest as well. None beat the CONVO but I understand there are multiple factors(availability, location, etc) that come into play when choosing a destination.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:07 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:04 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:33 pm On another note….gyms I’ve never been in

Coal Grove
South Gallia
Sheridan
New Lexington
Crooksville
Miller
Belpre
Federal Hocking (was going but games on same date this year)
Belpre gym is like one of them old school gyms from a school built in the 30’s. About 2 ft of room to inbound the ball under the baskets. Benches on the line. Bleachers on one side stage on the other.
Sounds fun lol

Wonder how many non-refs on here have been to all of them
Coal Grove is comparable to Chesapeake... CG wall to wall seating on side opposite benches. Seating on either end with walkway to lockerrooms in the center. Peake seating on either end with walkway to lockerrooms in center on side opposite benches. wall to wall seating behind benches minus the entrance into the gym.

SG much like RV except less seating on home side.

New Lex... I was there 2004 I think. Decent size gym with equal seating on both sides. If I remember correctly.

Belpre is much like Eastern Reedsville. But again it was 15-20 years ago the only time I was there.

FH I would say is the same layout as Belpre with most seating on opposite side of benches/stage side. Several years since I've been to FH also but it seems to me there was more room OB and bigger floor.

Never been to Sheridan, Crooksville or Miller.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

Of the gyms I've been in Waverly is still my favorite in SEO. I like Ironton and South Webster also. Would probably throw in Valley and Northwest also.
Of the gyms built after 2000 Wellston, Southeastern and Jackson would be at the top of my list.
A lot of schools I've never been to and several have built new schools/gyms since the last time I was there.

Return to “Boys Basketball”