Warren 40 Logan 38 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Warren 40 Logan 38 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Logan 38
Warren 40 a final

... if you look up the word "rivalry" or in today's world IF you "Google" the word "rivalry", I'm almost positive that the example given reads : (ex. Logan vs Warren, boys basketball) ... from the 1999-20 season, Coach Maddox's first season as the head coach at Warren, to today ... both schools have gone their separate ways league wise ... Coach Maddox gained his 200th win during the 2012-13 campaign vs ... wait for it ... Logan - Warren beating the visiting Chiefs 80-45 on that night ... since then the battles on the court have been - well, "rivalry worthy" ... Logan had visited the NEW WarriorDome back on December 17th this season ... Coach Maddox and the Warren Warriors set a new milestone by picking up their first W ever in the New WarriorDome - again with Logan being the recipient of the 40-42 loss & a WHS/Coach Maddox win ... the rivalry continues ... fast forward to tonight Logan entertaining Warren at Jim Myers Gymnasium ... Warren coming off of a win Monday night vs the #1 seed in the D2 East District - New Philadelphia HS (47-44 Warren) ... Logan entered the contest having lost 2 straight games vs SEOhio teams (Washington CH and Fairfield Union) while not having played a game since Feb 1st ... Warren entered the game at 14-6 which is outstanding considering Coach Maddox graduated 4 of 5 starters from last seasons Elite 8 team -with Brayden Sallee the only returnee, while Logan (8-8) returned all 5 starters from last season ... rivalry ...

... Quarter one opened up all Warren as the Warriors got scoring from the offensive trio of 6-5 sophomore Trent Taylor (2 pts) , freshman PG Julian Stadelman (2 pts) and 6-4 senior Brayden Sallee (7 pts - including a triple) ... the Warrior defense picked up where it left off vs New Philly holding the Purple & White to only 5 first qtr points - 4 coming in the paint from 6-6 jr post player Cayden Alford (4pts) and Ashton Mahaffey (1/2 from the free throw line) ... the Warriors sticky D held the Logan senior scoring combo of Mason Frasure/Tegan Myers/Owen Angle scoreless in the opening period ... Warren 11 Logan 5 after 1 ... the 2nd quarter had the Chiefs outscoring Warren 11-7 ... Ashton Mahaffey continued to get it done on the scoreboard picking up 6 more points in the period - the oddity is that none were from beyond the 3 point line ... even more unusual was Logan only putting up 3 treys in the first half going 0/3 from downtown ... the 2nd half of the LHS perimeter scoring duo Tegan Myers got on the board in the 2nd as he picked up a 2 pointer plus 1/2 from the line (3 pts) ... Alford added 2pts from on the blocks to finish the LHS scoring ... the Logan defense held WHS to a three pointer from Trent Taylor , a putback bucket from Sallee and a turnaround jumper in the paint from Colten Eddy ... Warren 18 Logan 16 at intermission ... when you look at the napkin stat sheet, had you not seen the first half of action unfold you might confuse the napkin stats one team for the other based on the teams MO's ... in the first half Logan ONLY took 3 three pointers (0/3) while the normally inside oriented Warriors were 2/10 from downtown ... the cause for the roll reversal can be put solidly on the defenses - Logan took away the Warren inside game by keeping 6-6 Cayden Alford IN the paint, daring the guards for Warren to "make the three" while on the Warren side of the defense - straight up man to man, great pressure on the ball on the perimeter - taking away any good looks for LHS, switching on the perimeter, a great job rotating when the ball entered the paint ... quarter 3 played out as tight as the first half of action ... Logan was able to knockdown a triple as Mason Frasure opened the Logan scoring in the 3rd with a 3 ball ... after an out of bounds bucket by Sallee, Julian Stadelman matched the 3 with a triple of his own for Warren ... Owen Angle made 2 strong inside moves for the Chiefs for 4 points to go with a pair of Tegan Myers FTs ... Warren's Brayden Sallee had a pair of putbacks off of offensive boards plus 1/2 from the line ... Warren extended it's half time lead +1 ... Warren 28 Logan 25 after 3 ... rivalry games - they seem to be close, multiple lead changes , decided by a turnover leading to key basket, a basket at the buzzer, a role player coming off the bench to be a difference maker on the scoreboard ... Warren vs Logan ... a rivalry game that had all of the above in the 4th quarter ... at 6:47 Warren led 30-27 ... scoring in the qtr for Logan was led by Frasure's 6 points, Mahaffey added 2 points and Myers a bucket ... Warren kept pace with a pair of big time buckets on the blocks from Ayden Cornell off the bench (4 points in the quarter) ... at 2:44 Warren led 34-33 ... defense ... at 1:29 34-33 WHS ... a pair of Sallee buckets (6pts in the qtr) :34.4 Warren 38 Logan 33 ... a Logan 2 pointer ... turnover by Warren ... Logan ball :20 trailing 35-38 ... Logan inbounds pass taken by Sallee /Taylor bucket ... 40-35 Warren ... 3 pointer by Ashton Mahaffey with the clock running out ... Warren 40 Logan 38 a final ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Logan ...

Scoring ... Ashton Mahaffey 12, Mason Frasure 9, Tegan Myers 7, Cayden Alford 6, Owen Angle 4
3 Pointers ... 2/12 ... Ashton Mahaffey 1, Mason Frasure 1
FTs ... 4/6
TOs ... 8
PnP ... 12 fgs/ 24 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk ... 2 fgs/ 4 points off of offensive boards

Pfloyd's official "UN- official" Napkin Stats - Warren ...

Scoring ... Brayden Sallee 20, Trent Taylor 9, Julian Sadelman 5, Ayden Cornell 4, Colten Eddy 2
3 Pointers ... 3/20 ... Trent Taylor 1, Julian Stadelman 1, Brayden Sallee 1
FTs ... 1/5
TOs ... 6
PnP ... 13 fgs/ 26 points in the paint
PnT ... 3 fgs/ 6 points in transition
Pbk ... 2 fgs off of offensive boards

... nothing took place during the game tonight that will change the Warren vs Logan in basketball = rivalry equation ... Warren sweeps the Chiefs in 2021-22 by a combined 4 points ... Logan has a 2-5 record vs SE Ohio teams so far in 21-22 ... Warren has only lost to 2 teams in the SE District in 21-22 (Washington CH in the opening game of the season on a neutral court, vs New Lexington ) ... New Lexington will be Warren's opponent in the opening round of the D2 sectional play ... on a side note - it was great to meet up with our friends from Warren High School tonight ... pfloyd added a couple more acquaintances as I met Mr. Ryan Lemley the principal at WHS and his wife - good people, obviously supporters of the BBB ... thank you to Sally Maddox for passing along the sugar cookies ! ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jcbigblue13
Freshman Team

Re: Warren 40 Logan 38 a final

Post by jcbigblue13 »

Note Warren is now 15-6 and we did not lose to Chilly at home, only played them at Chilly and won by around 25.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

jcbigblue13 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:30 am Note Warren is now 15-6 and we did not lose to Chilly at home, only played them at Chilly and won by around 25.
Yep ... I had that originally then at 1AM in the morning I changed it ... incorrectly ... I hope it is now correct ...

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Warriors really struggled shooting the ball tonight but I had no clue they were 3/20 from three. Sallee got his 20 and they did just enough on the defensive side of the ball to escape with the W. Thanks for "napkin stats" and write-up as always Pfloyd!

Go Blue
jcbigblue13
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue13 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:43 am
jcbigblue13 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:30 am Note Warren is now 15-6 and we did not lose to Chilly at home, only played them at Chilly and won by around 25.
Yep ... I had that originally then at 1AM in the morning I changed it ... incorrectly ... I hope it is now correct ...
Up till 1am!!! Holy smokes....I was coming to talk with you after the game but missed you again...to much going on afterwards trying to make Mahaffey happy....you should of stuck around we had plenty of Pizza Crossing in the auditorium.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

jcbigblue13 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:54 am
Up till 1am!!! Holy smokes....I was coming to talk with you after the game but missed you again...to much going on afterwards trying to make Mahaffey happy....you should of stuck around we had plenty of Pizza Crossing in the auditorium.
I saw the Pizza Crossing pizza in the cafe on my way out , I asked Ed Richards how much for a box - he said $200 - a little steep on my teacher's salary LOL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

jcbigblue13 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:54 am
... we'll cross paths in the post season jcbigblue13 ! I've got the 2/18 game with Warren entertaining New Lexington circled on my travel calendar for the opening night of Sectional play ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”